Menu

Doggy Backpack

Serenade

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good backpack for a medium-sized dog? Our dog is a border collie, so she is a medium-sized dog but on the slender side. She weighs 40 pounds. We mostly want a backpack so she can carry her own water and maybe a small bag of food and a dish. Our hikes would probably never be more than 2-4 miles.

I just went and looked online, and there are so many options that it is overwhelming! So I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has one that they like and that is durable.

Edited by Serenade

We have a border collie also, about the same size. He has a 'Ruffwear' brand. Although we don't use it a lot, it has been a good one and has never given us trouble, no slipping off of him or to the side...He has had some pretty long hikes in the mountains, so I think that would be good testimony!  He carries his own water!  I think we got it at REI. Without meaning to, my daughter's backpack ended up being the same color. They look pretty cute together!  

Adding a bear bell helps, not only as a precaution to scare animals, but if the is off leash, it helps you to know where your dog is!  Good luck!

• Like 2

We have a border collie also, about the same size. He has a 'Ruffwear' brand. Although we don't use it a lot, it has been a good one and has never given us trouble, no slipping off of him or to the side...He has had some pretty long hikes in the mountains, so I think that would be good testimony!  He carries his own water!  I think we got it at REI. Without meaning to, my daughter's backpack ended up being the same color. They look pretty cute together!  

Adding a bear bell helps, not only as a precaution to scare animals, but if the is off leash, it helps you to know where your dog is!  Good luck!

Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds like this might be a good option for our dog. It's good to hear that it has held up well -- that was my biggest concern. I once bought some travel dog dishes, and they were destroyed by the end of the first camping trip. I couldn't even blame the dog -- they were just poorly made.

Just another thought: do you really need to carry that stuff if the hikes are that short?  Two miles is a daily walk for our dog.

:iagree:

ds19 regularly takes his border collie for 10 Km walks ( almost every day).  The dog drinks before they go then again on returning. There has never been any issue.  

• Like 2

Just another thought: do you really need to carry that stuff if the hikes are that short?  Two miles is a daily walk for our dog.

Well, we were hiking in Texas this past fall, and it was quite hot and dry, and then our hike ended up being longer and harder than expected. We had one water bottle to share between 4 people and a dog, and it was not enough. The people were actually fine, but the dog needed more water than the rest of us. When we finally got to a spigot, she drank, and drank, and drank.

I don't suppose she'd need the backpack often, but I think the next time we go on a longer hike, I'd rather be prepared.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 3

Most people I know who use backpacks don't use them necessarily for the dog to haul their own water/supplies, but because they provide additional exertion to a high energy dog. Walking a few km carrying a couple kg tires a dog out more than just walking. For that reason, be careful using them, make sure you condition your dog properly. Water is very heavy. IMO, except for very fit and agile dogs, people should be carrying the vast majority of the water. 

and yes, if you're in an arid or warm climate, hydration for your dog is of prime importance. Dogs can become overheated & dehydrated much faster than humans. 

• Like 2

It might depend on your climate. Our 3 year old dog, who walks an hour at a time several times a week can get extremely thirsty on a hike during hot weather. If we are not walking near a clean supply of water, I take some for her, even if I don't think I will need any. 

• Like 1

Most people I know who use backpacks don't use them necessarily for the dog to haul their own water/supplies, but because they provide additional exertion to a high energy dog. Walking a few km carrying a couple kg tires a dog out more than just walking. For that reason, be careful using them, make sure you condition your dog properly. Water is very heavy. IMO, except for very fit and agile dogs, people should be carrying the vast majority of the water.

Thanks for pointing this out. She is a very agile and active dog, but she is very slender (although you can't tell by looking at her due to her long hair.) I do worry a little bit about her carrying the weight of some water. I wouldn't want to damage her back or put stress on her legs (long and thin) from carrying a pack. I'm thinking if we put one of those mini water bottles on each side -- the 6 ounce ones, that maybe that would be OK. Now I'm wondering if we should ask the vet before we have her carry anything, mainly because of her build. If she were more husky, I don't think I would worry so much.