Menu

"Army Guys" as Christmas gift.

poppy

My son has asked for "army guys" for Christmas. He likes the Hamilton musical, but I think either Revolutionary or Civil War would do- anything with soldiers, cannons, horses, rifles, bayonets.

What would be a decent set for a young kid that he can grow with? Should I just get a "toob" or is there a better option?

He is 6, but methodical- he likes to stage elaborate battles. Star Wars vs Legos. So I do think he'll actually be able to grow into the hobby.

There is a toob for both Revolutionary War and Civil War. The quality was a little disappointing for a few of the figures, but dd still loves them. i have been to the Veteran's Museum in our state capitol and they had some really nice ones there, but I'll admit I didn't look at that closely at them.

ETA: If we're talking Legos, all three of my kids were in love with the Brickmania store when we went to the Mall of America this summer. They have a web store on their website - https://brickmaniatoys.com. That might be more versatile.

Edited by mamaraby

My now 12 year old was so into "battles" that one of his birthday cakes (9th or 10th I think) had 50 candles; 25 against 25! Lol

He even used to set up the small Lincoln logs against each other. One day he "allowed" his sister to touch them just before bed. We woke to the Lincoln logs spelling out "not a war."

I started with the biggest bin I could afford. It may have been $20ish from Walmart with tons of soldiers.

As the love grew, he got better things. He now has vintage metal soldiers among his collection that my father got on eBay one year.

He's got toobs, dollar store, walmart, good stuff, etc.

• Like 1

I don't know if they sell this in the US, but when I was little we had molds to make our own little metal soldiers that we painted. We loved it and it made playing with the soldiers even more fun.  Maybe he would like something like that?

When I was a kid we called them "lead figures".  Looking back I really hope they were not made of actual lead!

When I was a kid we called them "lead figures".  Looking back I really hope they were not made of actual lead!

Ooh... on further reading I am guessing that they probably were.  :crying:

But it appears nowadays you can get lead-free metal and look! I found a place in the US: http://miniaturemolds.com/main.sc

(and I am pondering if I am too old to buy this for myself.)

Ooh... on further reading I am guessing that they probably were.  :crying:

But it appears nowadays you can get lead-free metal and look! I found a place in the US: http://miniaturemolds.com/main.sc

(and I am pondering if I am too old to buy this for myself.)

Why use lead when you could use chocolate?

But I really posted to say Playmobil are really neat.  

• Like 1