Menu

3rd grade planning

I tried to find this summer's third grade planning thread but I couldn't. I'm hopeful you'd like to share your current schedule with me for your third grader. It could also be a "what's worked, what hasn't" update. I'm trying to get things ready to restart homeschooling and I'm quite sure I'm over planning â˜ºï¸ Any details of how often you do each subject would be helpful too (like math x 30 min x 4 days with BA). I know it differs a lot for everyone but I'm trying to get a rough estimate.

Or if you can find the original planning thread, that could help too! Idk if it's a result of trying to search on my phone or sheer bulk of my search results.

I have a 3rd grader who is 7. She's a little young but 3rd is where she belongs, I think. 

Roughly-

1. Math Mammoth 3 every day, 3 pages a day. This takes around 15-30 minutes, depending on dawdling. 

We then usually drill multiplication math facts, either with a game or flash cards. 

2. Writing- we use Writing and Rhetoric Fable, and then will use Writing With Ease 3 for the rest of the year. We do it for as long as seems not tiresome or boring. Usually around 30 minutes. 

3. Grammar- First Language Lessons, which takes 10 minutes or so. 

4. Bible- she reads a story from Golden Children's Bible, then narrates it in writing. Most 3rd graders could just narrate orally, but she likes to write it instead. 

5. Science- this we aim for 3-4 times a week, maybe 20-30 minutes? It varies a lot. I have BJU Science 3, but it's not really fun, so I generally use it as a spine and then augment with library books, MSB videos, hands-on stuff I find on Pinterest. We do a nature time with sketching and collections every week or so, too. Last we did a nature walk near a creek bed, found rocks, and identified them at home for a while. I didn't do any book-science that week, because she was so excited about the rock collection. IMO Science at this age is about nurturing interest and curiosity, not facts. 

6. History- we are SS heavy over here. I assign some pages of history reading every day in a book from Tapestry of Grace, and we do mapwork and timeline with my other kids. We generally do a history themed project once a week or every 2 weeks. I have a lapbook she likes to work on for each unit from TOG. 

7. Literature- she reads constantly. I have to kick her off the couch. I assign a mandatory book which she must read for 30 minutes a day, and then she reads what she wants the rest of the time. Several hours a day. She narrates orally or in written form sometimes. 

8. Other- She works on a critical thinking workbook 3 x a week for maybe 15 minutes. She does hoffman academy piano every day, maybe 15 minutes? 

We have a daily morning time which lasts 1 hour. It included Bible reading, prayer, bible memorization, poetry & catechism memorization, shakespeare, informal logic, picture study, composer and music study, history read aloud, and literature read aloud. 

If I am really on my game, she's done by 12 or 1. If we're doing a project it can take all day. We generally have no screens during the week unless it's something I've assigned (documentary). I try to assign the mornings for written seat work, and save afternoons for a weekly nature walk, a weekly project, either art or social studies (or a combination), and a weekly poetry tea. 

• Like 2

dd1 was in 3rd last year. She was still working on her reading. 

Math- Horizons 3

LA- Logic of English D, Rod & Staff Spelling, Bravewriter, Bits of VArious Vintage Programs

Geograpy/Science/History- Cultures around the World- First used Children Around the World Units and then Mom-made

LIt- good books

Nature Study, Poetry Time, + Oodles of Art, Sewing

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. 

• Like 2

Ha!  What we're actually doing looks nothing like my first post on that planning thread, lol.  

This is a normal lesson day plan for my 8yo (2e) 3rd grader:

Math - 30 min from BA

Language Arts - 15 min from MCT (we do a rotation schedule, currently reading from Sentence Island 3 out of 4 days, Practice Island 3 out of 4 days, and Building Language 1 out of 4 days) 

Writing - I *try* to get him to write something every lesson day.  Sometimes we do an activity from Sentence Island or Building Language, sometimes he writes in his journal, and if he's not up for either of those I pull out HWOT and ask him to do a page or two.  Usually works out to about 10-15 min.

History - listen to one section (one track) from SOTW middle ages and discuss, 7-17 min

Science - all over the place.  We were doing one section per day from our Real Science 4 Kids Building Blocks book (~5-15 min), but when we finished the chemistry chapters he wanted more.  So, we started Ellen McHenery's The Elements, reading and/or doing activities for 15ish minutes per day.  Then he found a chemistry "experiments" book at the library so we were doing that in addition to or instead of The Elements, and then we got the Basher books on the periodic table and chemistry so he switched to reading those for now.  Overall, still usually about 15 min per day, but sometimes we do things that take much, much longer when he's interested.  We also try to fit in a Mystery Science lesson on the weekends when PSed DS2 is home and can participate.

Extras - He does typing (KWOT) every lesson day.  He reads silently to himself for at least half an hour every morning because he wakes up crazy early before anyone else.  We have Reading Detective on the computer and he plays that sometimes.  For a while he was interested in playing Prodigy.  He also has a 3-ring binder with busy-work type stuff, for when I need to focus on other kids, which contains Evan-Moore daily geography, a Daily Gram, a logic puzzly thing from Critical Thinking Press, and recently I've added in a 6th grade Math Minutes sheet, all of which would amount to less than 15 min.  Sometimes I add other interesting things... mazes, word searches, blank sheets for drawing, other stuff to extend his time quietly occupied and not (literally) climbing the walls.

We're not doing music or gymnastics (as I had hoped back on the planning thread).  We also still haven't gotten around to beginning spelling instruction.

And I guess I should mention that we don't actually do lesson days all that often.  My goal is generally 3-4 days per week; however, we're averaging more like 2 days per week this school year.  We'll likely continue this pace (or maybe make it up to that 3-4 days per week) through the summer and everything will be okay.  Or that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Like 4

My 3rd grader:

Summer/Fall semester - she basically unschooled.  I did make her do spelling every day, though.  She begged to do Rod and Staff English every day (I kid you not - my dd is weird!)  She ended up reading a bunch of books about human anatomy and earth science.  She learned how to play chess and backgammon.  She did some art projects.  We read a lot of math books from the library together.  She mastered her addition and subtraction.

Winter/Spring - she and I picked this line-up out together.  She went "shopping" in our school room from the bookshelves.  She complained that we weren't doing enough "school".  (Did I mention my dd is weird?)

continue All About Spelling

Rod and Staff English 3

Copywork

Child's History of the World

One Hundred Bible Stories

Apologia's Swimming Creatures

continue the Magic Tree House series

Daily read-alouds - usually a Beverly Cleary book + Narnia

Weekly art/painting project (which this is the first time she's willingly done art.  she usually cries when she tries to paint/draw)

Living math - going to start multiplication/division after the holidays

Outside Activities: Homeschool PE, ballet, gymnastics

• Like 3

Dd7 is in 3rd this year. This is a typical day for us:

8:30-9am Bible/Character: Working with Wisdom workbook along with Wisdom and the Millers. She works on this for about 15 min. then does any math corrections from the previous day.

9-10am Math: CLE 300 We do the first part of the lesson together, which takes us about 15 min. Then she does the rest of the lesson in my sewing room which is a quieter part of the house, away from her 4 younger siblings. :)

10-10:30 Reading: CLE 300 She does this independently.

10:30-11 Language Art: CLE 300 She does most of this independently.

11-11:30 M, W, F - Geography We're using various books and notebooking pages to gain an overview of world geography.

11-11:30 T, Th Science: Apologia Astronomy We do this together.

In the afternoon:

Plays outside for a couple hours

Does several DuoLingo Spanish lessons

Reads for an hour or so

• Like 2

Seriously, I've already started for next year ;)

Me too. I'm starting to mull world cultures for next year. In fact, I was thinking of posting a question about where to obtain a hodge podge of foreign currency, but I didn't want you all to think I was some kind of freakish over planner.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 4

Me too. I'm starting to mull world cultures for next year. In fact, I was thinking of posting a question about where to obtain a hodge podge of foreign currency, but I didn't want you all to think I was some kind of freakish over planner.

I just assume everyone switches curriculum and plans year round, like I do.

I don't know how helpful this will be to you, because my third grader does most of his work in 4 school days and has some extra activities. He usually does his independent work first and then the more teacher involved things later, but the order varies.

Math: 15 minutes on Reflex Math, one lesson in Math in Focus each day (20-60 minutes depending on the lesson). He also does a Math Minute 3 days a week which takes about 5 min.

Science: one lesson in science 2-3 days a week (we use textbook, Mystery Science, and kits but I have it all aligned so we just do what is listed next). Takes about 20-30 minutes depending on how much writing in the workbook that goes with the textbook).

World Geography: one lesson from our textbook 2-3 days a week (might be reading together, reviewing, or taking a quiz). Takes about 20 minutes. I also have websites and videos for him to go through, but we fit those in whenever.

Spanish: watch a video and/or practice vocabulary and conversation 3-4 days/week, about 15 min per day.

Literature: assigned reading from Moving Beyond the Page and answering discussion questions. Sometimes we do extra activities. 30 minutes?

Grammar: 1 lesson in Growing with Grammar 3-4 days a week (15 min)

Daily 6-Trait Writing: 5-10 minutes a day

Grammar minute : 5 min, 3 days a week

Spelling: 5 minutes a day

Assigned free reading (lol) 30 min? I let him regulate it on his own.

• Like 1

Twin 3rd graders here. My lineup is VERY similar to Lace's! 

Morning time with memory work (bible and poetry) and read alouds (random assortment of science, history, and literature) 

Math 4x/week for ~30min in Beast Academy plus math facts. I take a pause every few chapters in Beast and do some straight up computation practice using Math Mammoth in whatever section best fits our most recently finished Beast chapter. So far, that has meant I'm mostly pulling from MM4, as I grow more and more convinced that BA 3 is NOT 3rd grade math. We're loving it, but it's HARD!! 

LA using MCT (Satori Smiles' schedule). I try to get them writing daily, either history narration, one of the exercises from MCT, or copywork or dictation from our Brave Writer Arrow unit. I'm using those pretty loosely this year, mostly as a source of assigned reading for the kids and then to pull copywork or dictation from when I have a day that needs some writing practice. They also have a built in half hour to read from their Arrow book mid-morning. My son is doing cursive (LOE's rhythm of handwriting) and my daughter is doing typing (typing.com).

History is SOTW2, listening to a chapter a week in the car and then spending one lesson time at home doing narrations, map work, projects, etc 

Science is more of a mashup. We're doing some Mystery Science and some Science in the Ancient World. We're aiming to hit it 2x a week, reality is once. 

We spend 15-20min on Latin every day. We're finishing up the 2nd Song School book probably in January and we'll see where we go from there. I've assumed we'll just continue with CAP and do Latin for Children, but I haven't really done the research yet. 

Otherwise, we have an enrichment co-op on Tuesday mornings, we aim for poetry teatimes once/week, and whatever else that strikes our fancy. 

• Like 1