Menu

Seattle again..I cannot find my previous post

Janeway

Please help me find my previous post. They called today and wish to fly husband out. We know the general location of where he is interviewing. So, assuming he works at that location, I am curious to what schools and housing are like.

Also..anyone able to tell me why the potential employer keeps telling my husband over and over again that this is in Seattle. He sounds like no one likes Seattle and they have trouble getting people to want to come to Seattle.

Edited by Janeway

Please help me find my previous post. They called today and wish to fly husband out. We know the general location of where he is interviewing. So, assuming he works at that location, I am curious to what schools and housing are like.

Also..anyone able to tell me why the potential employer keeps telling my husband over and over again that this is in Seattle. He sounds like no one likes Seattle and they have trouble getting people to want to come to Seattle.

Seattle proper has much worse traffic and higher COL than areas around. 

Your previous post mentioned Redmond and Seattle. Perhaps the employer just wants to be clear that the position that they are flying him out to interview for is in Seattle itself, not in Redmond.

Be aware that any cost of living calculator will likely underestimate the actual cost here. Real estate is appreciating at a fast clip, and most houses that are livable will sell for multiple offers above asking price. In other words, if you see a house listed for $700,000, it's likely to go for $750,000 or more, sometimes a lot more. Most houses have an accepted offer within a few days.

A lot of us love living here, but unless you're coming from California or New York, the prices may be a shock.

There is a very large homeschooling community here, and homeschooling in Washington is quite easy.

Edited by Sun
  • Like 1

Your previous post mentioned Redmond and Seattle. Perhaps the employer just wants to be clear that the position that they are flying him out to interview for is in Seattle itself, not in Redmond.

Be aware that any cost of living calculator will likely underestimate the actual cost here. Real estate is appreciating at a fast clip, and most houses that are livable will sell for multiple offers above asking price. In other words, if you see a house listed for $700,000, it's likely to go for $750,000 or more, sometimes a lot more. Most houses have an accepted offer within a few days.

A lot of us love living here, but unless you're coming from California or New York, the prices may be a shock.

There is a very large homeschooling community here, and homeschooling in Washington is quite easy.

I feel so bad. He is so excited. They are flying him out. He wants my opinion and I feel like the COL and our family size will make it not so good.

Edited by Janeway

I feel so bad. He is so excited. They are flying him out. He wants me opinion and I feel like the COL and our family size will make it not so good.

Well, salaries tend to be higher here as well. But it does take some adjustment to get used to the smaller house sizes. It is a truly beautiful area, and I really love it here, but it is expensive. Where are you now?

there are so many corporations in the seattle metro area.  (most of boeing is NOT in seattle.)

they may just want him to know - this isn't in the suburbs?

generally, employers don't have a problem getting people to move to the area - it's usually the col that scares them off.

driving and parking are more of a pain in much of seattle - but there is a lot more access to buses.

for schools in seattle - I wouldn't plan on seattle public schools. just because there is a school three blocks from you there is no guarantee that's where your kids will go.  even my ultra liberal sister married to a blue-collar worker had her both of her dds in private school.  seattle schools also lost their gates foundation funding because they weren't meeting benchmarks.  don't know if they've ever gotten it back.

neighborhoods are mixed. some are very nice - for a price ugarte. a fair amount of gentrification in lower income neighborhoods - they're affordable.

some of the school districts to the east and the north are among the best in the country.

As with any city, there's Seattle and then there's Seattle.  Some parts are happier places than others; some parts are more costly than others...And so on. 

I can't help you much with schools info until you get to the Eastside of Lake Washington.  If you start to hear words like Bothell, Kenmore, Kirkland, Woodinville, Bellevue, Redmond, then I can help you.

:0)