Menu

What history curriculums use Usborne as a spine?

poppy

I have tried searching but am not coming up with the right set of terms to get me answers!

We are moving away from Build Your Library.

We love Usborne Encyclopedia World History and especially the links.

My daughter enjoys SOTW. I'd be happy to use a different world history program - but - must be secular or at least respectful-of-secular-approach as SOTW seems to be.

I also like real book as supplements , but those are easy enough to find. 

Basically please help me find something kinda like BYL but different.

Less focus on copywork and memorization. Those are some my DD's weakest areas (she is dyslexic , dsygraphic, poor working memory) and that is not what I want .

Course I could also just go through the encyclopedia page -by -page but I am hoping there is an alternative. I'll pay good money! I just want something that works!

Thanks!

Several Sonlight levels use Usborne books as spines. There are at least 2 Usborne WH Encyclopedias that I know of, so check cores B & C (younger kids) or G and H (older kids) for 2-year courses. (These could be stretched out longer too.) 1-year courses would be B+C (youngers) or W (olders). 

It's been awhile since I've used these cores, so one or both may now use different spines (The older kids one has varied between Usborne and Kingfisher, and I can't keep up with which one they're on now--they do update every few years, and sometimes a book will change). But, see what you think!

• Like 1

I can't remember exactly how later editions of TWTM "do" Usbourne/Kingfisher history books but the first and second editions give a good description of notebooking with these spines. Also a list of supplemental history themed books to read. A friend used TWTM method and Kingfisher very successfully.

I have the SOTW activity guide but haven't delved into it that much since it's somuch crafts- I will look more.

I don't think Sonlight would suit but I will look into Bookshark- thanks for the ping!

Level 1 of History Odyssey uses the Usborne Encyclopedia.  Level 2 uses Kingfisher but I'm planning to continue using my Usborne as well as the Kingfisher.

OOooh History Odyssey! I have heard of that & will definitely look into it. 

I somehow thought the popuplar BYL alternative was MPTP, so I looked at it and realized it's a whole other kettle of fish.  I think I was thinking of HO.

There should be more options! Non-secular folks have way, way more options.

I don't think Sonlight would suit but I will look into Bookshark- thanks for the ping!

If you're worried about Christian aspects, Bookshark might be a better option, but I will say that many, many secular homeschoolers have used Sonlight (I remember there even was a large Yahoo email group--not sure if that still exists or if it has moved to some other platform). SL has a lot of great books and might be a good resource for you though.

You are not going to want History Odyssey if the aspect of BYL that isn't working is the copywork and memorization.

Between the use of History pockets and writing dictionary definitions, it is a ton of writing. My kid hated that though she loved the books.

I second the suggestion to just use the SOTW activity guides. I'm also considering Layers of Learning, but it seems pricey to me. It relies heavily on the UILE for history.

Edited: Grammar.

Edited by bwdiaz

HO has no memorization. We skipped the definitions and the History Pockets don't require a super huge amount of writing at the level one stage. Plus, HO offers a pretty substantial "try it before you buy it" copy on their website. I'd suggest giving it a try. I vastly prefer HO to the STOW AG.