Menu

Post your favorite pancake recipe.

This is an English style pancake.

We triple these quantities but they are nice and easy to remember like this.:

7 tablespoons of flour (plain, all-purpose)

4 tablespoons of milk (can substitute soya milk if required)

1 egg

1 teaspoonful of vegetable oil

Whisk together and leave to stand for a little while if you have time.

Coat pan with a very small amount of oil and heat the pan until it is very hot fry. Pour a thin layer of mixture on the base of the pan and, when bubbles appear, gently ease the pancake from the edges with a wooden spatula. Flip over either with the spatula or, if you are feeling brave, toss it.

Serve with honey and a squeeze of lemon. Maple syrup is also becoming more popular and is yummy too with these.

These are very traditional in England on Shrove Tuesday (the day before the beginning of Lent) when people are said to use up things in their cupboard to prepare for fasting.

Here's ours - I make up 2 recipes of the mix and keep it in my frig and we have pancakes every Sunday. The last few weeks, I've been adding frozen blueberries to them and the kids think they're great :D (I've never used the orange juice to mix them up - I usually use buttermilk, but have used plain milk or a blend when I didn't have enough buttermilk.)

Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix

Source: King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking

Yield: 10 cups dry mix; a batch using 1 cup of mix will make about 10 (3 1/2-inch) pancakes.

3 1/2 (12 1/4 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats

4 cups (1 pound) white whole wheat flour

1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) sugar

3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) baking powder

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon baking soda

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) vegetable oil

To make the mix: Grind the oats in a food processor until they're finely chopped, but not a powder. Put the ground oats, flours and remaining dry ingredients into the bowl of a mixer with a paddle. Mix on slow speed, and drizzle vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is

running. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it holds together, it's just right. If it won't hold together, stir in 1 tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct. Store in an airtight container indefinitely in the freezer.

To make the pancakes: Whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (or you may use 1/2 cup plain yogurt plus 1/2 cup milk), 1 tablespoon orange juice (said to reduce the tannic tastes from the whole wheat) and 1 large egg. Let the batter stand for at least 15 minutes before cooking (it will thicken as it stands). Heat a nonstick griddle if you have one, or a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron. If your surface is not nonstick, brush it lightly with vegetable oil. When the surface of your pan is hot enough that a drop of water sputters across it, give the pan a quick swipe with a paper towel to remove excess oil and spoon the batter onto the hot surface, 1/4-cupful at a time. After 3 to 4 minutes, when the surface of the cake is no longer shiny and small bubbles are beginning to form around the edges, it's time to flip the cake. Cook other side until it's browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.

I use the recipe on the Bisquick box called Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pancakes but I do personalize it a little;)

2 cups Bisquick mix

1 cup milk

2 eggs

1 tbs sugar

2tsp baking powder

1tbsp lemon juice

2 tsp vanilla

These are the best pancakes I've ever made and I've tried a lot. You can add blueberries, chocolate chips, or anything else to your liking.

my own ingredients! I add 2-3 eggs, 1tbsp coconut oil, milk instead of the called for water. My kids love my pancakes (I'm good with breakfast...just not dinner!). Trying also to remember another homemade recipe. It was 6 cups flour, 6 cups milk, 1tbsp baking soda, 3 eggs and 1 tbsp oil (we always use coconut) mixed all together. Add in 1/4 cup melted butter at the very end. These are yummy, too, but in our rush, rush home, the mix works! Love the other recipes. Oh, my dd and I love our pancakes with blueberries (use frozen), bananas and other fruit. My other dc and dh love them w/ chocolate chips (of course!).

Oatmeal Pancake Mix (makes 5 cups)

1 ½ cups old fashioned oats

1 ½ cups white flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

¼ cups each flax meal and wheat germ

6 TBL. Brown sugar

2 TBL. Baking powder

1 TBL. Soda

1 TBL. Salt

Mix. Store in Freezer.

For 12 medium pancakes, mix 1 cup mixture, 1 egg, 1 ¼ cups buttermilk (or a

blend of milk, yogurt, sour cream) and 2 TBL. Oil. Stir. Let sit 10 minutes to

soften oats.

You can add frozen blueberries, grated apple, etc.

Pour onto hot, buttered griddle.

Recipes from ‘More-with-Less†by Doris Janzen Longacre

Master Baking Mix (Like Bisquick)

Makes 4 lbs (store in airtight container room temp.)

Sift together:

10 c. flour

6 T. baking powder

1 /2 T. salt

1 ½ t. cream of tartar

¼ sugar

Cut in to consistency of cornmeal:

2 c. veg. shortening

Stir in:

2 c. dry milk powder (optional but assures higher protein content)

To measure mix, pile lightly into a cup and level off with spatula.

Options:

Replace 1/3 of flour with whole wheat flour

Add 1 c. wheat germ

Replace 1 ½ c. flour with soy flour

Pancakes or waffles: (I usually double and freeze leftovers)

Beat together 1 c. milk and 1 egg

Stir in 1 ½ c. master mix

This is a very complicated recipe but, here goes:

Roll over and whisper in my hubby's ear, "Gee, I sure would love some of your yummy pancakes this morning."

Results may vary. ;)