Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW41: my first stephen king novel

Robin M

NoseInABook, I will send it to you.

I have now started reading Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I can already tell I'm going to like this one!

ETA: It seems so deliciously polite & yet evil at the same time.

I finished it and loved it. Highly recommended as a spooky read, because it's not terrifying, but it is an interesting reflection on humanity.

• Like 7

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD (12 yo) just started reading the Joan Smith books.  She loves them and I love that she loves them.  :001_wub: I just purchased It Takes a Lady.  Depending on how much laundry I need to do and if my people demand lunch I should report back shortly with my review.  

Christopher Pike books were so popular around here.  I likely have some still in my parents attic.  I suspect they wouldn't hold up to the test of time!

Based on the books you're reading I think you'd like the Miss Julia series. 

I can't believe nobody has taken me up on my audible offer.  Seriously people!  I can give you a book if you have an audible account and I WANT to give books to my friends.  :p

I don't have any of those books but I will link a few that you might like and you can pick one if you'd like.  If I'm being too pushy then just ignore me ... sometimes I don't understand social nuances very well. 

Any Georgette Heyer book

Most of The Cat Who ... books

Most of the Brother Cadfael books

Most of the Richard Peck books

Most of James Herriots books

Most of the Three Pines mysteries

Very Good Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (this is excellent!)

The Confession (#14 Ian Rutledge) by Charles Todd

A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford mystery) by Charles Todd

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Sharing Audible books is in interesting idea.  Not sure how we could keep a master list when books are being constantly added.  Perhaps just a list of those who have an audible account with their email address.   I have a wide variety of audible books including the whole In Death series.  Currently listening to Judgement in Death.   Moning's Fever series, Brigg's Mercedes Thompsons, as well as a few Nora Roberts trilogies, Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom.  Plus Rick Riordan's Lightning Thief series. 

• Like 8

Wait--you chose the cover art for the Oxford edition of Turn of the Screw? That's incredibly awesome.

Oh dear...poor wording on my part....

Just choosing which edition of the book I wanted to buy based on cover art took me more time and mental anguish than I dare admit.

The thought of actually choosing the cover art for the book makes me feel faint... :svengo:

• Like 8

Last year, I think I avoided Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle because it seemed too creepy or scary.

I am so glad I decided to give it a try this year; it's quick & I finished it in one day. Deliciously polite & yet evil at the same time with touches of both humor & true humanity.

Wow. Just read it.

A great book for October.

• Like 16

Last year, I think I avoided Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle because it seemed too creepy or scary.

I am so glad I decided to give it a try this year; it's quick & I finished it in one day. Deliciously polite & yet evil at the same time with touches of both humor & true humanity.

Wow. Just read it.

:hurray:  So glad you've liked at least two of my favorite October reads! You've turned me onto a lot of things I wouldn't have read otherwise (I'm enjoying Galore very much as we speak).

I finished Hammett's 5th and final book, The Thin Man.  After abandoning two previous Hammetts (The Glass Key and The Dain Curse) and not enjoying The Red Harvest very much, I was glad to have enjoyed this one. It was much lighter in tone, quicker, snappier, short chapters, lots of witty banter. Very different from other books, in that the main character Nick has, as a foil, his wife Nora, and so while it's in the 3rd person like The Maltese Falcon (and unlike the other 3) you also get a lot of insight via Nick explaining things to or discussing things with Nora.  These characters are light and poufy compared to Sam Spade, and the book doesn't have near the moral/ethical dimension, the gravitas, that Falcon has, but it was a witty and entertaining book. Though it made me want to drink Scotch.  Lots of Scotch.  Kind of like the effect of watching Mad Men.  I truly wonder how anybody was able to function, ingesting those phenomenal quantities of hard liquor.  

• Like 10

Oh dear...poor wording on my part....

Just choosing which edition of the book I wanted to buy based on cover art took me more time and mental anguish than I dare admit.

The thought of actually choosing the cover art for the book makes me feel faint... :svengo:

Too bad! I thought maybe Book a Week had an "in" at Oxford Univ Press. I was going to start angling for a discount.

• Like 7

Yeah! Did I forget to mention got it the day it came out.  It is an amazing story and quite intriguing!!!

:lol: I feel better now for some weird reason. You always read them immediately. I generally manage it within the first month or so.

• Like 5

Wow. Just read it.

I'm reading her The Haunting of Hill House at the moment. 

• Like 6

Wow. Just read it.

I was on the fence about reading the book. You've just pushed me off. Thanks! (I think. I'll let you know when I've finished it... ;) )

• Like 4