Menu

S/O Buying a car

DawnM

What ever happened to the idea of a truly stripped down model? Or the model you "built" with the options you wanted?

I remember 25 years ago when you could get a Honda Civic hatchback without a radio or A/C. You could have them added for around $1000 each. I had friends who got the $6,000 stripped down new Honda Civic and added A/C but put their own stereo in for $200 or so.

Now you have to buy options you may not need or want.

We are looking for DS. I was thinking a used Honda Accord. Dh is saying he would prefer a Mazda 3.

What ever happened to the idea of a truly stripped down model? Or the model you "built" with the options you wanted?

I remember 25 years ago when you could get a Honda Civic hatchback without a radio or A/C. You could have them added for around $1000 each. I had friends who got the $6,000 stripped down new Honda Civic and added A/C but put their own stereo in for $200 or so.

Now you have to buy options you may not need or want.

We are looking for DS. I was thinking a used Honda Accord. Dh is saying he would prefer a Mazda 3.

I don't know, but dh and I were just talking about this the other day. You used to be able to buy a stripped down truck for under 20k. Now good luck getting one anywhere near 30k unless its Fleet, and even then that's hard to find. Just good old plastic floor boards, crank windows and no power locks. I don't think those even exist anymore.  I have to wonder why that changed. I wonder if keeping the separate plant workings for those wasn't worth the demand. 

We bought a new Toyota Corolla CE in 2006 with air con but no power windows, no auto-lock and the cheapest stereo.    A Honda Civic would have higher mileage than a Honda Accord though for your son unless he needs the slightly more room and slightly higher horsepower. We were at the Toyota dealer last week for the airbag recall replacement and they still carry low end models.

• Like 1

the reason they do 'packages' is they can have them built at the factory and shipped as is.  most people want some basic 'add-ons'.   e.g. a radio, A/C, automatic, etc.

if you are willing to order a car, and wait several months - you can buy a base model with only your choice of options.  

• Like 2

Sometimes you can find them. We just bought a base model Subaru (Crosstek) a couple months ago. I got the one with NO upgrades, and it has just arrived to the dealer when I found it online. Hadn't even been detailed when I told my "guy" to hold it for me. We bought it that afternoon. :) That said, the basest base model of the Crosstek is still pretty awesome, as far as we are concerned. We like the few upgrades we have in my Outback -- heated seats are nice, lol, but dh didn't need/want the upgrades, so we saved a nice chuck of change. It even has manual transmission! 5 years ago, we bought a KIA minivan base model, and even that Kia has a lot of things that seem like bells and whistles. Base models are just fancier than they used to be, lol. (Which, IMHO, is even more reason not to pay for upgrades! When the base model has a/c, auto everything, air bags in every corner, blue tooth, etc, who needs options?!)

My method with new car shopping is to simply go on the manufacturer's website and figure out exactly what I want, what options, etc. Next google up the going (good) price you should pay and any available financing or rebates you are eligible for. Then I call/text the dealer and tell them what I want . . . Sometimes it requires more than one dealer if you don't have a "guy" at your local dealer that will work well with you. Just know what you want and look around for it at a good price. Most of our vehicle purchases have been base models with few to no upgrades. You can find them!

• Like 1

I was JUST looking at some Mazda 3s and Mazda 6s today! lol  I kept thinking to myself that I don't want or need bluetooth, blah blah blah and all that stuff that is one more thing to BREAK.  Of course, dh would love those things.  (It will be his commute car so I'll probably suck it up!)  I'd be fine with a good radio, A/C & heat, and non-electric windows or anything else.  :P

• Like 1

Sometimes you can find them. We just bought a base model Subaru (Crosstek) a couple months ago. I got the one with NO upgrades, and it has just arrived to the dealer when I found it online. Hadn't even been detailed when I told my "guy" to hold it for me. We bought it that afternoon. :) That said, the basest base model of the Crosstek is still pretty awesome, as far as we are concerned. We like the few upgrades we have in my Outback -- heated seats are nice, lol, but dh didn't need/want the upgrades, so we saved a nice chuck of change. It even has manual transmission! 5 years ago, we bought a KIA minivan base model, and even that Kia has a lot of things that seem like bells and whistles. Base models are just fancier than they used to be, lol. (Which, IMHO, is even more reason not to pay for upgrades! When the base model has a/c, auto everything, air bags in every corner, blue tooth, etc, who needs options?!)

My method with new car shopping is to simply go on the manufacturer's website and figure out exactly what I want, what options, etc. Next google up the going (good) price you should pay and any available financing or rebates you are eligible for. Then I call/text the dealer and tell them what I want . . . Sometimes it requires more than one dealer if you don't have a "guy" at your local dealer that will work well with you. Just know what you want and look around for it at a good price. Most of our vehicle purchases have been base models with few to no upgrades. You can find them!

But the current base model is still more than I am talking about. I am talking about stripped down.

When you say no upgrades do you mean no radio, no power doors or windows, no anti-lock brakes, etc....??? Or do you mean the current base model offered?

My ex-step mother got a Toyota Tercel that was an 1981 and a half or 1982 and a half and it had an optional back seat! Imagine that!

I want my boys to learn on a stick shift, I hope that is an option when they get to driving age. 

we had a very basic 92 tercel.  4spd manual.  it didn't even had a passenger side mirror.  it was the loss leader to suck people into the dealership to buy a car. (then they'd get them to spend more.) dh bought it.

all my adults learned to drive on it.  1ds totaled it.  we briefly tossed around fixing it.  everyone hated that car.

now - when dudeling learns to drive, I figure I'm going to have to find something. . . .

the reason they do 'packages' is they can have them built at the factory and shipped as is.  most people want some basic 'add-ons'.   e.g. a radio, A/C, automatic, etc.

if you are willing to order a car, and wait several months - you can buy a base model with only your choice of options.

Very good to know. My DH may have known that, but I didn't.

But the current base model is still more than I am talking about. I am talking about stripped down.

When you say no upgrades do you mean no radio, no power doors or windows, no anti-lock brakes, etc....??? Or do you mean the current base model offered?

I mean the current base model.

:)

FWIW, I think that the fact is that those "extras" cost VERY little, and by making fewer variations on the vehicles, the manufacturer saves more than they'd save in parts/labor for the small minority of stripped down cars that people might choose. So, the manufacturers make a better profit on their streamlined vehicle fleet (fewer options) and we consumers get better prices and better standard features. 

i remember when we'd have to pay $$ in upgrades for SAFETY features (air bags, anti lock brakes, etc.) -- those were the only upgrades we generally went for. In fact, in 2003, we bought a basic Volvo because it was cheaper (and better) than a Camry -- because the Camry would require $$$ in upgrades to get the safety features that were standard in the Volvo. Now, it seems like all the cars we've shopped for have all the safety features in the base model. . . . Allowing us to buy base models instead of upgraded ones . . .

I've actually been wondering aloud at how good a deal cars are compared to 25 years ago when I bought my first car. I'm pretty sure my close-to-or-base model Geo Prizm (same as Toyota Corolla) was 11-12k back in 1992. We just bought a base model ((AWD!!) Crosstek for about 21k. That's not even double price in 25 years, and the Crosstek is definitely a step up from the Prizm (AWD besides fancier modern features) and the current cars have so many better, standard safety and convenience features (things that were un-invented or expensive options 25 years ago) . . . I just plugged 12k into an inflation calculator and found that, miraculously, 12k in 1992 = 21k in 2016. So, anyway, according to that, it seems to me that base model cars are cheaper now than they were 25 years ago. :) And they have better features. And require less maintenance. :) 

I mean the current base model.

:)

FWIW, I think that the fact is that those "extras" cost VERY little, and by making fewer variations on the vehicles, the manufacturer saves more than they'd save in parts/labor for the small minority of stripped down cars that people might choose. So, the manufacturers make a better profit on their streamlined vehicle fleet (fewer options) and we consumers get better prices and better standard features.

i remember when we'd have to pay $$ in upgrades for SAFETY features (air bags, anti lock brakes, etc.) -- those were the only upgrades we generally went for. In fact, in 2003, we bought a basic Volvo because it was cheaper (and better) than a Camry -- because the Camry would require $$$ in upgrades to get the safety features that were standard in the Volvo. Now, it seems like all the cars we've shopped for have all the safety features in the base model. . . . Allowing us to buy base models instead of upgraded ones . . .

I've actually been wondering aloud at how good a deal cars are compared to 25 years ago when I bought my first car. I'm pretty sure my close-to-or-base model Geo Prizm (same as Toyota Corolla) was 11-12k back in 1992. We just bought a base model ((AWD!!) Crosstek for about 21k. That's not even double price in 25 years, and the Crosstek is definitely a step up from the Prizm (AWD besides fancier modern features) and the current cars have so many better, standard safety and convenience features (things that were un-invented or expensive options 25 years ago) . . . I just plugged 12k into an inflation calculator and found that, miraculously, 12k in 1992 = 21k in 2016. So, anyway, according to that, it seems to me that base model cars are cheaper now than they were 25 years ago. :) And they have better features. And require less maintenance. :)

In 1991 I bought a new Honda Civic 4 door. 5 speed manual. It had AC because---Arkansas....and a radio and cassette player.

No vanity mirror, no clock, no power locks or Windows.

But. I loved that car. I drove it for 11 years and put 140k on it. It gave me literally zero problems. 30 MPG.....sometimes as high as 38. I am pretty sure I paid 10k for it. That is what I financed anyway..they gave me something supposedly for the old trade in I had but in reality I doubt they did.....

• Like 1

In 1991 I bought a new Honda Civic 4 door. 5 speed manual. It had AC because---Arkansas....and a radio and cassette player.

No vanity mirror, no clock, no power locks or Windows.

But. I loved that car. I drove it for 11 years and put 140k on it. It gave me literally zero problems. 30 MPG.....sometimes as high as 38. I am pretty sure I paid 10k for it. That is what I financed anyway..they gave me something supposedly for the old trade in I had but in reality I doubt they did.....

When I met my dh in '93, he had a Civic, which I believe was an 88 or so -- 4 door, manual. That car was awesome. Never needed any non-routine-maintenance work, ever, got bumped and abused and worn out, maybe 150k miles  . . . and when we replaced it in 1999, a relative took it, who drove it for another year or so . . . and when he passed away, the car went to his friend . . . who kept driving it, so far as I know. It's probably still on the road, lol. Great cars. My Geo Prizm was a great car, too. Same story . . .

When I met my dh in '93, he had a Civic, which I believe was an 88 or so -- 4 door, manual. That car was awesome. Never needed any non-routine-maintenance work, ever, got bumped and abused and worn out, maybe 150k miles . . . and when we replaced it in 1999, a relative took it, who drove it for another year or so . . . and when he passed away, the car went to his friend . . . who kept driving it, so far as I know. It's probably still on the road, lol. Great cars. My Geo Prizm was a great car, too. Same story . . .

Oh and I forgot the part where we sold it for $2500 and I saw it around town for years after.

That car is why I am not against buying a new car.....my next car will be new and I will drive it into the dirt. I think it will be a Prius. I LOVE my sons Prius.

My current vehicle is a Buick Rendezvous. It was a salvaged title and I got a great deal on it....but mechanically it has not been great. I have had it for 7 years.

• Like 2