Menu

Calling Math Geeks -- Math Supplies

We are doing the angles section in BA4, and I need to buy a high quality compass and protractor. I have a STEM kid, so I'd like to buy him other high quality math tools to use for upper math in physics, advanced math, etc.

Can you recommend good quality math supplies? I know fun school supplies will get him excited about future study. Thanks!

Glad you asked :D

We were turned on to the greatest math lab-books (Computation Books) books this year by my son's awesome 7th grade advanced Algebra teacher.

We had been using composition notebooks with graph paper, which are cheaper, but Computation Books take math notebooks to a whole different level.

This are big (you can slip a 8.5 x 11 inside and keep it fully protected), but not too big. The bindings are sewn (not glued) so it is a real book. The paper is high-quality graph.

I wondered, how big a deal this would be? Well, the neatness of the work shot up dramatically. Son has a teacher who is a fanatic about showing work, and these notebooks help keep my kid's work neat and clear. And especially for work that involves graphing or geometry, these notebooks are keen.

In the local office supply stores (Staples has them) these Computation Notebooks are pretty expensive (about $16 for 150 pages, counting front and back).

But Amazon has Ampad Gold Fibre Computation Books for $8.62 (Prime eligible). There are other brands (for more $), but these are excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/National-Computation-Notebook-Inches-43648/dp/B00007LV4B/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1475606896&sr=1-3&keywords=ampad+gold+fibre+computation+book

I think these are deserving of being the official math notebook of the WTM Community. They are that good. Five Stars (except for the ugly white sticker on the front cover, get past it).

Bill

ETA: My link is to a different Computation Book (National not Ampad). National paper may be green vs warm beige (not sure). When we ordered we paid about $9 for Ampad. Currently $16. What's with Amazon? Keep eye out for sales, $16 is too dear. Link to Ampad

https://www.amazon.com/Ampad-Computation-Letter-Square-22-156/dp/B000R80QCW/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1475608079&sr=1-2&keywords=ampad+gold+fibre+computation+book

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

We shop at the architecture drafting tools aisle at any art supplies shop.  You might end up with lots more than you need because everything looks enchanting.  We like having the 360degress protractor as well as the 180 degrees protractors.  We also bought french curves, flexi curves and set squares. We did not get a T-square but I am tempted.

Depends on how much you value your table top and how hard your child press on the compass, you may want to get a desk/table protector. My wooden dining table has plenty of indentations from compass due to my boys.

• Like 2

Great. Now I want those computation books. Just today, ds said, "Hey, I only have about five pages left in my math notebook." Sigh. Except, I sewed a pretty cover for his comp book math notebook... now I have to sew a new pretty cover!

We have a few compasses and the ones that take little leads for drawing are way better than the ones that take pencils. But beyond that, I have no specific brand recommendation.

• Like 1

Great. Now I want those computation books. Just today, ds said, "Hey, I only have about five pages left in my math notebook." Sigh. Except, I sewed a pretty cover for his comp book math notebook... now I have to sew a new pretty cover!

We have a few compasses and the ones that take little leads for drawing are way better than the ones that take pencils. But beyond that, I have no specific brand recommendation.

In my son's case at least Farrar, the Computation Books have been worth it. They have inspired a different level of neatness and care. Perhaps not all of us face these challenges with sometimes sloppy students? All I know is this year's work often looks like a textbook example of neatness. Previous year's work? Highly variable.

Part of it I think is the slightly larger size (and good "lay flat" bindings), but also the quality of the paper and build has a "pride of ownership" aspect.

Happy sewing :D

Bill

• Like 2

Hobby Lobby's drafting section has good compasses and other tools. You can get a 40% one item coupon, too.

Are there any that you specifically recommend? I'm anti-Hobby Lobby on political grounds. Not sure that we even have them in SD.

We love the Cambridge graph paper notebooks from Amazon. Sometimes you can get 5 for $20ish. Good paper stock and spiral keeps it flat. Our compass is the Alvin Bow from DickBlick. Very stable.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

I am fond of green engineering graph paper.   We use a lot of paper for math, and I like that it's relatively thin, easily torn off and thrown away.  The grid is printed on the back side, so you can use when you need, but it's easy to ignore when you don't.  I prefer the 100 sheet pads because they don't fall apart as readily, though they do start to come unglued from the cardboard backing with use.  That's the negative.  

Also, they make me nostalgic for college.

I like inky roller ball pens.  I am often lazy and can be easily convinced that I can read math without writing, so I want to make writing as pleasant as possible.  So I spring for the uniball pen or similar brands.  

• Like 2

Ooh, I'd never heard of a protractor ruler before!  Is it better than a regular protractor?  

I have so many free cheap rulers, and both my kids have finished geometry and probably will never need a protractor again.  Still, I'm tempted.  

Well, *I* think they're better, lol.  They're especially useful for out in the field because you have less to carry and keep track of and they are made of thin, flexible plastic that is very durable.  I usually reach for a smaller one like THIS, though I do like the one I have like my earlier link as well.  I think it's easier to measure angles with one, but I can see how it would be a bit challenging for someone without a lot of manual dexterity to draw angles.  Kids may be better off with a semicircle protractor for making angles, depending on the kid, I guess...

• Like 3

Oh, I don't think I saw an eraser shield mentioned yet?  Those are really really important for detail work, especially for anyone with perfectionist tenancies.  Architectural scales and templates, both circular and other shapes, can be a lot of fun, but probably won't be used until you get into engineering specific activities (I never used them in pure math, anyway).

• Like 3

We also inherited my dh's old german compass by Staedtler, though what I have linked here is the same brand, it isn't exactly his compass.  But it's way better than the cheapo one I bought at the grocery store 30 years ago.  

My boys are using my Staedtler compass from before the dawn of time ;) (I think it's this one, or one like it, it's all metal).  It held up very well for me, and is taking the use and abuse my boys are giving it.

• Like 1