Menu

How many teeth has your ten year old lost? (more)

My ten year old daughter has only lost six teeth, which is the same number as her seven year old sister. I know she is missing two of her adult teeth, but so is my seven year old. I'm just curious because we're starting the process of getting braces for her (her two front teeth stick out really far and are widely spaced), and I know if she doesn't have her adult teeth yet it changes the treatment plan.

Just curious, I know everyone is different, but I wanted to get an idea of how unusual or not this is. Thanks!

My kids are younger, but apparently they're both "dentally delayed". They both got their baby teeth at very normal ages, but now they're slowing down. The pediatric dentist commented with my ds, but only to say she wouldn't expect him to get all his molars till he's closer to his mid teens. My daughter appears to have "constitutional growth delay", which apparently effects not only her height and her bone development, but also her teeth and when she'll hit puberty.

Neither the kids' dentist nor pediatrician are concerned about these "delays", but it would certainly be worth pointing out to your orthodontist and discussing before beginning any major work. Ds' delay is minimal, but my daughter effectively has the body (and skeleton!) of a child 2 years younger than she is, so in certain circumstances, we have to keep that in mind. She'll have to start pointe work in ballet later than the other girls her age (regardless of her skill and commitment when the time comes), and it wouldn't make sense to do orthodontic work based on her chronological age, when her physical age is much less.

I'm a bit concerned, because he now has two adult teeth coming in up high, their space is still occupied by baby teeth.

Michelle T

My dd is a shark too! Her adult teeth came in behind her baby ones. But eventually when she lost the baby teeth, the adult teeth came forward and into their natural place (just as the dentist said they would). He did say to call him if they hadn't moved forward in 2 months.

the thing that bothered me whilst I was a little girl. I lost my first tooth at 10 and they finally had to pull my final two teeth out when I was 21! Embarrassing, I know; but, still I survived. :o When they pulled out the final two I had to have braces put on to pull them down. I hated those things! :eek:

My boys are opposite when it comes to losing teeth too. My 11-year old has lost every single baby tooth, and all of his adult teeth are completely grown in. My 10-year old has only lost 8 teeth, and there are no more loose teeth in sight. My 5-year old is trying to grow in 2 front teeth withouth losing the baby teeth that are there. Our pediatric dentist is not concerned with any of this. She says that their unique situations are all normal; even in the same household.

My 12 year old son has only lost 11 baby teeth. He lost the last three in a one month period. It had been over a year since he'd lost any teeth.

He needs braces for an overbite, but he'll have to wait another 6 months to see if he will lose the rest of the baby teeth. I doubt he will. The dentist has done x-rays and says that there's not problem. He's just going to lose them all at once.

He's 5'7" and going through puberty....but he has 9 more baby teeth to lose. It's so odd.

His 9 year old brother has only lost 6 teeth. I guess he'll follow in his older brother's footsteps.

My daughter appears to have "constitutional growth delay", which apparently effects not only her height and her bone development, but also her teeth and when she'll hit puberty.

Abbey - Can I ask you about this? I have a dd(2) who is tiny. Dh and I are both tall (5'10" and 6'), so she comes as quite a surprise! Currently, she is the size of an average 12 month old (she just hit 20 pounds). My doctor isn't worried, but we haven't been for her annual checkup yet. I'm a bit concerned.

So, what is constitutional growth delay? What causes it? Do they do anything for it? Is it something I should mention to our doctor at her physical later this month?

It's been very interesting having such a petite little thing! The other day, I was asked by a photographer if she could stand on her own! Other people guess she's about a year. But, she can talk like an adult!! No baby talk for her. The looks she gets are pretty funny!

Anyway, if you could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it!

Abbey - Can I ask you about this? ...

So, what is constitutional growth delay? What causes it? Do they do anything for it? Is it something I should mention to our doctor at her physical later this month?...

Jennifer,

I'm new to this myself -- it's a pretty recent diagnosis for dd, though obviously we've known she was "small" for quite some time. There are lots of reasons for lack of growth in children, and a diagnosis of Constitutional Growth Delay pretty much means that there's nothing "wrong" with the child, they just have, for some reason, the body of a younger child. Kids with CGD have delayed physical growth, delayed puberty, possibly delayed dental development (but, as I said, this wasn't obvious when dd was a toddler), and delayed skeletal maturity (as their baby cartilage turns to bone). The main test that's used to diagnose it is a "bone age" x-ray (quick, easy test -- they x-ray the left wrist and determine where in terms of "average" the development of the child's bones are) and ruling out other more insidious causes for lack of growth. In our case, dd is developing just fine physically and intellectually (more than fine, lol) and shows no obvious signs of malabsorbtion, etc...

For now, this means we just chart her growth as if she were the age that her bone age x-ray indicated. If she maintains that curve, we'll assume nothing else is wrong. If she slows down further, we'll take the next step and go to a pediatric endocrinologist.

My limited understanding is that a 2yo with CGD would be falling further and further down (off) the charts, but at some point around 3-4, she should begin to maintain her own curve (just well below that of other children of her chronological age). With dd, she definitely fell further at 4 and 5, though the drop off was perhaps less pronounced. I'm not sure if there's an age before which bone age x-rays aren't done or are considered unhelpful.

I certainly think it's worth discussing with your doctor. Most likely, unless you have other reasons to suspect there's something wrong (food allergies or malabsorbtion or celiac, etc, etc), he'll tell you just to wait and watch...

I don't know why dd is like this. Dh and I are "short", but we're roughly 25th%ile for adults. Ds is skinny, but right at 50th%ile for height (and pretty much always has been). The ped predicts that if dd continues on her current path, she'll reach an adult height of about 5' and she'll achieve that in mid-to-late adolescence. It's shorter than I would have expected given dh and my heights, but it's a perfectly respectable height. ;) (One of my parents pointed out that that's about how tall my sister is, so that made sense... I had to remind them that much as I love them both, my sister and my daughter aren't genetically related, roflol!)

~abbey

http://www.magicfoundation.org/www/docs/11.1067/constitutional--late-growth-bloomer.html

All of mine were close to a year when they got their first tooth ~ and I think that's later than average. The older three all lost their first tooth at age 7. My 12 year old still has baby teeth ~ don't know how many, but quite a few. My 10 year old has lost maybe 5 teeth? I'm not sure, but it's not many. And my 8 year old has lost a few. This just seems to be the norm with my children. The last time we went to the dentist was something like 5 years ago, but I imagine they'd be considered "delayed" in this dept. I'm not worried, though.

Abbey - Can I ask you about this? I have a dd(2) who is tiny. Dh and I are both tall (5'10" and 6'), so she comes as quite a surprise! Currently, she is the size of an average 12 month old (she just hit 20 pounds). My doctor isn't worried, but we haven't been for her annual checkup yet. I'm a bit concerned.

My mother and uncle were both like this, more petite compared to their parents and siblings who were very tall. My mother was born in 1919 and her brother in 1921. They were both small and my aunt tells me they put the teacups on their heads as babies. My mother married at 20 and weighed 80 pounds and was four foot ten inches. She gave birth to my brother when she was 29 and she weighed 95 pounds pregnant and my brother was 8.5 pounds at birth (and it was a natural birth). My mother was always healthy though she is now deceased, she lived to 83. My uncle is still alive, at 5 foot and 90 pounds.

I guess I"m saying although small, they were always healthy. All their children are normal height, I'm taller than the rest at 5'7". Now my sister has had a duaghter who is like my mom, very small and continues to be small. She wears a size 4/5 and is 9 years...pediatrician says she is perfectly healthy. I can't wonder if it is genetic, he says no. Just my story..sorry to go off topic.

My 9yo dd problem is the opposite. She looses 2 teeth for every incoming tooth. At 9 she is up to 12 and currently has a loose molar. Only 7 adult have come in. By lifting up her lips I can see huge teeth bulging for freedom just under her gums but they've no place to go. The orthodontist wants to wait to begin any work on her. Her mouth is pretty sensitive.