Menu

How did your kids learn to play an instrument?

mommyoffive

Suzuki would have worked well for my youngest but we didn't have anyone that offered lessons.  At age 4, he took a sample lesson at a traditional studio.  While he enjoyed it, he had a full schedule that year with ballet and an activity class - he wasn't ready to add anything new.

We looked again when he turned 6 and had no other activities.  He really enjoys the violin, and likes the work, which is more important.  His instructor is adamant that if he ever stops enjoying the daily work to stop lessons and put them on hold.  We pay about $.50/minute.  He loves his teacher, which definitely helps.  When we move it will be hard to find someone to fill his shoes.

ETA: I have no musical capability, and my oldest follows my footsteps.  This child has always loved music, though.  One of the first pictures I have of him is at about 3mo being entranced by Fantasia.  The band Train always made him stop crying.  He loved studying composers and could hear differences in classical music that would go over my head.  I would not have considered anything more than a Kindermusic type class for preschool if he had not shown quite as keen an interest.

Edited by HomeAgain

Private lessons in the traditional method with classically trained teachers for both piano and violin. We had changed teachers a bit to get ones that pay more attention to technique, form, posture because my son has issues with those for both instruments. The better teachers in my area  seem to be the ones who are finicky about those things while some of the teachers we had were focused on being positive and not criticizing no matter how poorly my son played! He also takes a music theory class every week. He graduated from the method books a few years ago and plays repertoire now.

Did you teach them yourself?

Online lessons?

What did you use for this if you went this route?

In person lessons?

Group or private?

Did you use the public schools for this?

What worked or didn't work for you?

If you went for group or private lessons how much where those? What is a good rate to seek for that?

Piano.

Private, in person lessons.

Rates are so area- and experience-dependent, that you really need to ask around and shop around. Both of our piano teachers charged at the higher end for our area, but spent a lot of time educating themselves, are excellent musicians in their own right, and offer additional benefits to their lesson/teaching--one teacher does recording, for example.

What worked: Interviewing the teacher and/or observing a lesson before starting lessons. Making sure that the teacher's expectations and philosophy are a good match for student and family.

What didn't work: My son has been taking lessons for 12 years. We should have switched teachers 2-3 years before we actually switched. I didn't recognize that the teacher who was excellent with him as a youngster and who was great with *some* of her other teens was no longer a good fit for my ds. He has switched to a teacher who treats him like a peer and a musician rather than a student. He is now thriving and progressing again instead of frustrated and ready to quit.

For those in despair with all the lessons and practicing, you can see dd's doctoral recital here : https://www.facebook.com/bloomingtongramophone/?ref=py_c

Click on the video of the guy tuning the fortepiano. They  will do amazing things over the years. 

Beautiful. I could listen to her all day long.

Was she awarded a Doctorate or is it in progress?

She won't earn her DM for at least another year. This was her second DM recital--one more to go next year. She should have done her 3rd this semester but her main teacher (Stanley Ritchie) has been ill. He postponed his heart surgery so he could be there last night. She also has to do a Modern recital as that's her minor. She'll finish her coursework this spring and then will take at least a year to write her dissertation. Her dh should be awarded his DMA in May!

It's been a long, winding road to the DM--she did her undergrad, then an apprentice year with Shar Music, then her first master's, but then her fiance was killed. So, she basically did a gap year afterwards. Then the first year of a DMA, but the school didn't work out, so back for 2nd master's at Boulder, and now on to the DM. 

Perhaps it was a circuitous road but she (almost) reached her goal. And she is one gifted musician. Please link any of her performances so we can enjoy them.

Did you teach them yourself?  Not with the second instrument (trombone).  Tried the recorder first,  that failed miserably

Online lessons? No

In person lessons? Yes

Group or private? Private, happens to be one of dd's friends father.

Did you use the public schools for this? Nope

What worked or didn't work for you? It has worked out wonderfully.  Lots of flexibility and having it as a private lesson dd gets the help where she needs it.

If you went for group or private lessons how much where those?   What is a good rate to seek for that?  We pay $25 for a half and hour

We were very lucky with finding our teacher.  We originally planned on having dd take piano lessons but ended up changing it to trombone.  Dh had been talking to a father while picking up dd from a birthday party and mentioned we were going to do piano lessons for dd.  The dad said dd was not a piano player (not still enough) she would make a great trombone player. Now as it happens some years before we picked up a trombone at a used curriculum sale for an extremely great price (just because it was a great price).  Dd liked the idea of playing it, she is talented at it too.  She has been taking it for 4 years now.  Her teacher has actually been using Suzuki Cello books with her and it has been great.  She just started playing in an orchestra this year too.