Menu

Knee injury

Night Elf

My orthopedic doctor thinks my left knee has a slightly torn meniscus. That doesn't explain why the right knee hurts sometimes too, but okay. I think he feels I'm overcompensating but my left knee doesn't hurt bad enough for me to be overusing my right leg. Weird.

Anyway! In my checkout notes, there were instructions for 12 leg exercises that will strengthen my legs. Some of them I'm only supposed to do on the affected knee. He also told me to go to physical therapy. But why do I have to? I can do these exercises every day. I'm familiar with most of them because I used to work out at a gym many moons ago. I can't see what a physical therapist could show me that isn't already included in those exercises. What really worries me is the length of the visit. My leg muscles are weak because I don't exercise regularly. I can't do all 12 exercises in one sitting. My legs hurt and feel all wobbly. I'm afraid if I go to a physical therapist, I will have to do a lot of exercises and as many reps as they think best for me, in a short amount of time. After doing some exercises last night, it hurt to drive my car. I can't imagine how I'll feel after a physical therapy visit.

So if I'm still hurting in 4 weeks, I'm supposed to go back in and talk about an injection. I don't feel like my knee hurts enough to warrant an injection.

Oh, he's also given me a daily anti-inflammatory I'm supposed to take for 4 weeks.

So, do I really have to go to physical therapy? If I do these 12 exercises nearly every day, some say to do only 4-5 days a week, isn't that exercise enough? Also, more importantly, do I have to do all of them in one sitting? I'd rather space them out throughout the day so my legs don't feel like they're going to fall off.

What do you think?

Most pts will set you up with the exercises and give treatments too, such as ice, heat or electrical stim.  

They usually want you to come in 2-3x/week to make sure you are doing the exercises and doing them correctly, but you are supposed to do them on your non-appt days too.

I actually like going to pt because they keep you honest and evaluate your progress.  Plus any questions that come up can be answered in a day or so, rather than waiting to see the dr again in a few weeks.

The PT isn't a personal trainer trying to whip you into shape. They'll do targeted exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee to give you more support. If you may need surgery to clean out the meniscus, your insurance company might require that you've tried conservative treatment before authorizing surgery.

When I went to physical therapy for a knee injury, I thought it was helpful.

Because of the distance, I only went twice a week for like 6 weeks. Some weeks I could only go once.

The PT did not expect me to be able to do all the exercises right away. He did an assessment, and we started out with lower weights and lower repitions at first. Also, it wasn't just repeating the same exercises day after day. He would introduce different ways to accomplish the same things so it was not so boring and repitive. Additionally, he discovered that one of the reasons that I kept having problems (injuries) is because my balance is not great, so we did balance activities as well.

After the covered six weeks were up, I did feel comfortable doing the exercises at home. Honestly, I did not keep up,with them which I imagine is what happens with most people and why the dr wants you to go to PT for a while.

Our PT has tons of equipment that you likely don't have at home that may benefit you. I would call there and ask the exact same questions as you posed here. PT was wonderful for DD's sprained ankle; very pleased with the results. Only took 3 to 4 sessions to get it into shape. They were way more helpful than her pediatrician as far as treatment. 

Interestingly, when I tore my ACL, I was approved for PT immediately after surgery. However, if my meniscus was also injured, the PT would've required a delayed therapy regimen (meniscal tears required more healing b/f proceeding with therapy exercises). I'd definitely check with a good PT before hitting any exercises hard and heavy. (And they'll definitely modify things to your level.)

• Like 1

When I tore my meniscus, I actually started a thread on here to ask questions about PT vs surgery. :) I did end of having surgery because mine was badly torn in several places, and no amount of pt was going to fix that. However, I did start pt the very day after my surgery (quite surprisingly I might add!) and it helped me tremendously. I actually liked going. They applied heat and ice and the recommended movement and exercise there helped me get my range of motion back.

I hope you feel better soon. Also, just wanted to assure you that any good pt will not allow you to be in pain. It might be a little work on your muscles, but mine told me time and time again to let them know if I was experiencing pain.