Menu

Great British Bake-Off Fans

zoobie

my family is in mourning.  Frankly I am annoyed with Love productions. The BBC stuck with them and helped them create a monster show.  When they couldn't cough up enough cash they left.  It seems a bit of a Pyrrhic victory, though... they have sold channel 4 a very expensive tent...and Paul.  I like Paul, but that's not bake off. 

I expected Mary would be retiring soon. For pete's sake, she's 81.  Every series of GBBO I expected that it would be her last. I thought she might take this opportunity to simply say that she was retiring. The fact that she specifically stated that she wasn't going with Love Productions over to channel 4 due to loyalty to BBC, and not simply announcing her retirement, speaks volumes.

And yes, she will be on US TV with the "Great American Baking Show"..it was "great holiday baking show'  last year, but it's got a name change.  I am guessing that will be her last time with that as well...or not. It's a Love Production, but not a BBC show, so maybe she'll do it again.  But I am sure Love productions would like to not have to bring people to the UK to film that show. They brought the contestants to Mary Berry...she didn't come to the US. So, if they get another season next year, in 2017, which is unlikely, it won't have Mary.

And there won't be any bake off made, or whatever it is that they end up with, during 2017, due to contract stuff.  So, even if they do get more hosts and recreate the bake off, there won't be any for quite a while.  That was another reason I figured that Mary Berry wouldn't go with them. Love Productions must have known that it was unlikely she would want to do a new show in two years. But again, she made it about loyalty.

And BBC has an agreement with PBS, so their shows usually go there and/or BBC America.  There is no guarantee that the new shows on channel 4 will ever air in the US. 

2016 just sucks. 

Bake Off is like my family's football.  This is going to leave a huge hole.

• Like 6

This stinks! I'm British and enjoyed watching this small slice of British culture while living in the US. IMO Mel and Sue made the whole program so I'm sad that they won't be continuing on. I watched the Holiday Baking Championship last year and felt like the hosts were trying too hard to replicate what comes naturally to Mel and Sue. How disappointing. 

Good old Mary, though, for falling back on her British sense of Honor!

• Like 1

To pretend to be British for a minute, my whole family is gutted.  I'm proud of Mary, Sue, and Mel for sticking with the BBC over following the money.  I have to say, it doesn't bode well for Channel 4 that they didn't understand/overlooked that the insane price they paid didn't include the talent.

My guess is that they knew and took the risk on Love Production's skill at casting.  In the past, all four of the stars had publicly said that they wanted Bake Off to stay with the BBC. The status of the contracts with Love productions must have been known. If they didn't know I am sure that Channel 4 would be screaming that Love Productions was false dealing.

I suspect that Love Productions was covering their butts due to Mary Berry's inevitable retirement.  Again, at 81 how many years can she be expected to do this?  If they thought the show would have a rough transition without her, why not just get it over with when the show is at it's strongest?  Why wait for her to retire and then try to move the show?   And now they have a three year contract for millions more, and because it's not BBC they can create a whole line of cookware etc to their hearts content.  They can also do product placement...it's going to bring in a lot of cash. 

So, they went for a three year treasure bath with a big payoff, rather than three years of maintaining and having the BBC pay them less when Mary inevitably left.