Menu

October craft ideas needed!

Peaceful Isle

I am visiting my nieces,that are out of state, in early October and I was wanting to bring some sort of craft for my kiddos to do with them. I usually do a thanksgiving craft and Christmas stuff with them, but this year I am stumped on an October idea. The ages are 10-16, with my five year old stuck in there too!

Help! Any links would be great!

I saw a Halloween wreath made of those twigs (whatever it is, I think you buy premade) and rubber snakes, all spraypainted dark lol.

You could have a little party, watch Halloween movies and make/display festive foods. I saw some really creepy ones! Like hot dogs cut to look like fingers ick ha. You could make trail mix with festive M&M colors. Decorate cupcakes or such.

• Like 2

We made cheesecloth/starch ghosts last year.  They were delightfully spooky, but also pretty messy to make...but, then again, I was working with 4 and 6 year olds.  We obviously made ours simpler than the ones in the video; we put color-changing puck lights in the ghosts and had them on the front porch during trick or treating.

• Like 2

We've done paper bag trees, where you take a paper lunch bag, cut strips into it and twist them tightly to make the branches.

We've also done several different sugar skull/ Day of the Dead activities over the years, ranging from coloring pages to using icing to decorate real sugar skulls.

Rather than all doing the same thing, I'd pick a theme, say the sugar skulls, and have a range of options for the different ages. The 16 year old could do some rather elaborate drawings for the skull, maybe even on a white pumpkin, but the 5 year old may do better coloring a pre-printed mask or page. Combine those with some tissue paper flowers.

• Like 1

Well, this is more of a fall craft than a specifically October craft (if you're thinking Halloween), but one of our favorite crafts was making corn-husk dolls.  My son enjoyed this too.  I'll see if I can find a site that shows you how...

Here's one version:

http://www.kiwicrate.com/projects/Corn-Husk-Doll/756

We also cut out simple aprons from scrap fabric and tied them on the girl dolls.  We used brown twine to make one line braid and pinned it on their heads with a simple straight pin.  (You pin the middle of the braid on the very top of the head, so that both sides drape down and it looks like two braids.)  Very cute!

• Like 1