Menu

American (lack of) days off for sickness

Laura Corin

We are not the oligarchy, lol.

For us, a butt in the seat means we make money that day.  A kid home sick means we make less money (or more likely, DH and I have to work a 14 hour day to pick up the slack).  That is fine with us - we're not going to fire an employee for illness, or for their kids' illness.  That would be insane.,

But as a very small business, we cannot pay for work not done during that illness and *also* pay the wages we pay. The money, once again, is not created from thin air.

Now with large corporations I understand the frustration with outsourcing and with paying very low wages.  In those cases I'd say, what is causing the pressure to be lower on the labor side and higher on the employer side?  What is causing such a surfeit of labor, so that there is less pressure on the labor side and workers can't successfully demand as many benefits?

• Like 2

I'm very fortunate to have a county government job in a county that treats its employees very well. I have an outstanding total compensation package. My pension is one of the best in the nation (and I include non-Congressional federal retirement packages in that statement). I earn a certain number of sick, vacation, and holiday time (these are in different banks) each pay period and, if any one bank is maxed out, won't accrue hours in that bank until I use some. All of the benefit time is paid and the maximum hours allotted per bank is quite generous. The hours roll over each year; so, I don't have to use 'em or lose 'em. My hourly rate and yearly pay is very good, too.

Not everything is sunshine and roses and unicorns aren't dancing in the verdant fields where I work. There are some significant issues which must be resolved and I have...frustrations...at how certain problems are or are not dealt with. Many of the county employees are not happy with the health insurance choices, though these are not, by any means, the worst choices out there.

I think only the deputies in the sheriff's office are civil service, though I'm not even sure about that. The employees in my department are not civil service and are not unionized. In fact, there aren't governmental unions in the county where I work (again, with the possible exception of the sheriff's office). I live and work in an at will state.

I really think the local economy plays more into how employees are treated, though, of course, at will v. union also plays a role. My state not only did not suffer nearly as much as many other states, it actually grew both in terms of population and jobs. Unemployment remains well below the national average. I really feel for everyone who is stuck between a rock and a hard place having to choose between working and staying home sick or tending sick family members. I wish all employers could be as responsible as mine.

I don't think any one policy by itself will damage the economy, but the cumulative nickel-and-diming of businesses to death with this regulation or that law or another policy is what does the damage.  Generally, I do not think US government should be making laws regulating private business in any way, unless it concerns federal taxes, international trade, or something of that nature.

• Like 1

I don't think any one policy by itself will damage the economy, but the cumulative nickel-and-diming of businesses to death with this regulation or that law or another policy is what does the damage.  Generally, I do not think US government should be making laws regulating private business in any way, unless it concerns federal taxes, international trade, or something of that nature.

It makes it very difficult for one business to treat it's employees well, when others can lower proces because they treat them poorly.  A level playing field where all are required to pay at least a living wage, not have employees work unreasonable hours, have a safe workplace, or give a reasonable number of breaks, means that bad employer isn't gaining an advantage through doing those things.

legal sweatshops don't seem like a great idea to me.

• Like 1