Menu

Weight Gain (DS10)

mommymonster

DS10 has always been a thin, tall kiddo. He has some really severe food sensory issues that makes it almost impossible for him to eat fruits and veggies (he's been to feeding clinic, we've done food chaining, he's worked with SLPs, etc. Nothing has really helped). In the past six months, though, he's really started gaining weight and at this point, he is looking downright pudgy. (I'm not judging, I'm overweight, DH is not.) He seems to be "sneaking" food quite frequently, even though we are pretty liberal with snacks.

Many of DS10's activities are not very active. For example, he loves fishing and archery and does both activities frequently. He also watches tv a good bit, which hasn't been an issue in the past, but... now I'm seeing it as one. We camp and adventure frequently, I just don't know if we're active enough while we're outdoors. 

I know that when I was DS10's age, I started gaining weight and my mom put me on a "diet" and made me go to Jazzercise (yes, really!) with her, and she was very persistent in "shaming me thin". It set up a lot of really unhealthy thought processes and responses, which I still deal with. 

I'd like to very, very gently work with DS10 on this, but not set him up for all the body image weirdness. 

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I think my goals are to gently increase physical activity, decrease tv, and work on cutting down on snacks. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone turned a situation like this around? 

Both of my boys pudged up around that age. Then their big growth spurts took care of it and they effortlessly returned to the thinner side of normal weight. From reading on here I think it's not an unusual occurrence.

You might consider starting a PE requirement, even if it's just a daily walk. I'm actually a huge fan of walking for exercise, since it's an activity that's easy to continue throughout life. And I found it's kind of like being in the car--our daily walks were very good conversation time.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

A daily PE requirement makes sense.

Also, I've noticed a number of kids his age are plumping a bit, but none of them have really shot up yet. They all seem to be in the horizontal gaining stage, not vertical. ;-)

I guess my concern is just that DS10 seems to always go for the sweets/unhealthy choices. Perhaps that's a sign for me to not make those choices available.

• Like 2

You gain wait before you grow. He's about to grow a lot with puberty. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

However, there are benefits to exercise and a healthy diet even if you're not interested in losing weight, and at his age he should be getting at least half an hour of exercise daily. You can frame this as "I want this whole family to get some exercise" if you like, even if all it is is taking a daily walk. (I assume you're doing your best on his diet and neither want nor need my advice here.)

• Like 1