Menu

Family Boat Vacation

Rockhopper

I asked my kid who'll be all grown up soon and presumably out of the house in a couple of years to tell me what his dream/bucket list family vacation would be before he flies the coop.

He said, "Something on a boat." He likes the idea of sailing, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that. Just boat and water.

Now, I don't know if it's actually going to be a real possibility to do anything -- it will depend a lot on dh's work schedule, when we move next, if dh has to move alone and we have to keep up 2 households for a year... And of course on how much we can save.

And even in a best case scenario, we're still looking at something more akin to "budget travel" than "luxury accommodations."  

(I took a peek at some yacht charter companies and the drop-down menus for price range *started* at close to our max and went up to "I've bought HOUSES for less than that!!")

With all that said, I'm looking for some creative ideas on various kinds of family boat vacations. Things that would appeal to a wide age range. Something that would allow for some learning/skill building/new experiences. Maybe some cultural/educational opportunities.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd head somewhere coastal like St Pete Fl and buy him several sailing lessons while we stayed at the beach.  There are plenty of coastal places where one could do this.  Pick a state or island that appeals to you.  Grand Bahama (NOT NASSAU) could be less expensive than FL, though the boats we saw there were just small ones.  You would need to do a bit of research.  I'd probably start with "Sailing Lessons" and see what popped up.

This, of course, assumes he doesn't know how to sail yet.  If he does, then I'd probably go with "Sail Boat Rentals" and see what popped up.  Sailing around the Bahamas, either set of Virgin Islands, or the Florida Keys would be rather appealing due to several islands around.

We once rented a slow boat and crawled up the Erie Canal, stopping at various little towns and state parks along the way.  (So slow that many days my husband and son drove the boat while my daughter and I biked on the towpath... and we'd arrive at our destination hours before them.)  Some nights we stayed in little towns with restaurants and ice cream places, and others we just tied up alongside parks and ate on the boat.  Super fun.

My husband loves all kinds of boats, and can captain just about anything, but these ones were definitely OK for amateurs -- flat water, easy-peasy steering, no navigation, places everywhere to just pull up, tie off and plug in to power and water.  I probably even could have done it alone, which I would not say about any other boat trip we've ever done.  Good gateway boat, lol.

For more adventure and a lot more $$$, you can charter a boat with a captain and cook from companies like Moorings in places all over the world.  (Or bareboat if you do know how to sail.)

• Like 4

Y'all are really making houseboats sound appealing! :-) The Canal boats especially strike a chord with me. I'd thought about a European trip but I'm not sure that's in the cards -- so I was really excited to see the Erie Canal option. But canal boating in England sounds so amazing! I could combine with my bucket list trip to Canterbury and some moors hiking... Oh wait! It's supposed to be ds's trip... :-)

We once rented a slow boat and crawled up the Erie Canal, stopping at various little towns and state parks along the way. (So slow that many days my husband and son drove the boat while my daughter and I biked on the towpath... and we'd arrive at our destination hours before them.) Some nights we stayed in little towns with restaurants and ice cream places, and others we just tied up alongside parks and ate on the boat. Super fun.

My husband loves all kinds of boats, and can captain just about anything, but these ones were definitely OK for amateurs -- flat water, easy-peasy steering, no navigation, places everywhere to just pull up, tie off and plug in to power and water. I probably even could have done it alone, which I would not say about any other boat trip we've ever done. Good gateway boat, lol.

For more adventure and a lot more $$$, you can charter a boat with a captain and cook from companies like Moorings in places all over the world. (Or bareboat if you do know how to sail.)

Whenever we've seen boats on the Erie Canal I've wondered what the experience would be like! I'm not much of a boat person, but the history geek in me would find it fascinating. :)

What about a sail on a schooner? I bet your son would like that and it would be educational. They feed you, you help sail the ship, the scenery is great, and you don,t have to know anything to do it.

Nan

That sounds fabulous too, and we historically are more saltwater people than fresh. How long would/could a sail like that be? I'd love to play with that idea some more.

That sounds fabulous too, and we historically are more saltwater people than fresh. How long would/could a sail like that be? I'd love to play with that idea some more.

Anything from an hour long harbour tour to a week or two. There are also terms at sea for students. Maine is a nice location but there are schooners many other places as well. Some Maine schooners go south to the Carribean for the winter. Historic ports in other stayes have schooners, too. My son crewed on one one summer. He never wants to eat lobster again lol! One of our extra kids has been a mate for a few years now on one that has students doing ocean research all over the world. The son of friends crewed this summer on La Dona. I think she is out of Rockport. Or Camden. Or Rockland. That vicinity, anyway. She was newly refitted a few years ago.

Nan