Menu

Teens who sleep through alarm clocks

Daria

yeah, you really need to get him on some sort of machine.  

Also, you can engineer the bed to dump him on the floor at a certain time.   I was investigating it for DH before he got the apnea study.   Basically, there is a chain attached to one side of the bed that attaches to a pulley on the ceiling and a motor that starts at the time you set.   At that time, the bed starts to tilt.  You can purchase the materials all together.   it is basically an amped up version of those curtain openers on a timer.  

• Like 1

But this kid does have a sleep apnea diagnosis, there is no reason to think he will grow out of that.

Of course he is not lazy. He does however need appropriate treatment.

It sounds like they have tried treatments without luck so far. With time they may find something.

Time. Lots of time.

• Like 1

yeah, you really need to get him on some sort of machine.

Also, you can engineer the bed to dump him on the floor at a certain time. I was investigating it for DH before he got the apnea study. Basically, there is a chain attached to one side of the bed that attaches to a pulley on the ceiling and a motor that starts at the time you set. At that time, the bed starts to tilt. You can purchase the materials all together. it is basically an amped up version of those curtain openers on a timer.

I have to stop reading this forum on my laptop. This just inspired some grandious plans by my kid for something or other. Sigh.

Back to the topic.

• Like 1

It sounds like they have tried treatments without luck so far. With time they may find something.

Time. Lots of time.

Sounds like OP is going to look into BIPAP; that just might do the trick.

Apnea can cause a person to rouse every couple of minutes or so (the max measured in my husband's sleep test was over 70 apnea events per hour!). Getting the right machine and settings combination can make a world of difference.

Anyone would be tired if they were never really sleeping.

Sounds like OP is going to look into BIPAP; that just might do the trick.

Apnea can cause a person to rouse every couple of minutes or so (the max measured in my husband's sleep test was over 70 apnea events per hour!). Getting the right machine and settings combination can make a world of difference.

Anyone would be tired if they were never really sleeping.

I am very familiar with sleep apnea

• Like 1

This thread is amusing. Some people are saying their voice will be enough to wake someone. I can have a whole conversation with dh and he doesn't remember any of it because we find out later he was still asleep.

Maybe conversation is an exaggeration, but some type of question/answer or statement/reply. Sometimes his answers give away the fact that he's not really aware.

My husband can sleep with his eyes open, I swear. We have had conversations that he doesn't remember because he was asleep. I've started quizzing him before talking to him in the morning. "What is your name?" "Where are you?" "Who is the Vice President of the United States?" Because otherwise, I may well have no clue he's asleep. He's also a sleep walker.

Fun times.

I would pay serious money for an electronic alarm clock as effective as my mother was. She was one of those people who woke up, no alarm, before any normal person needs to be awake. So even after I grew up and moved, I could ask her to call me to wake me up if I had an early event I was afraid of sleeping through.

I would pay serious money for an electronic alarm clock as effective as my mother was. She was one of those people who woke up, no alarm, before any normal person needs to be awake. So even after I grew up and moved, I could ask her to call me to wake me up if I had an early event I was afraid of sleeping through.

I'm like this.

These days it's mostly a curse because I am utterly incapable of sleeping in, no matter how late I got to bed or how interrupted my night was.

• Like 2

I still sleep through alarms.  I think I broke several as a teen...  I wish I had answers.  I've made DH's morning coffee my personal mission in life, and that helps me get up, as long as I haven't had a restless night.  If I have, it's either a bad day or I end up back in bed for another hour and napping after lunch.  When I do need an alarm clock, a progression alarm clock has be most successful (ok like 75% success rate, but still).  

I hope he finds a good solution.  Good luck!

Last night I remembered something with the bed dumper alarm.   You have to make a frame for the mattress, and the brace it on the side opposite the one being picked up.   Otherwise instead of most of the weight being supported by the rest of the bed, the mattress might slip and the weight be entirely supported by the ceiling.