Menu

Course Descriptions

I am starting to work on course descriptions.  I have a couple of questions:

How many pages long did your document end up?  Mine is looking like it is going to be very long.

Other than the description of the course itself, the list of texts/materials used, and designating where the course was taken (home, online, etc.), did you include anything else.  I have an example that has a bold faced and underlined section of each course entry consisting of  "Instruction setting & schedule," Frequency of interaction with instructors," and Frequency of interaction with fellow student.," This looks cumbersome to me.  I understand what this is supposed to accomplish, but I think I will leave the first two sections off or combine them into a last paragraph (written as a paragraph and not as info after headings as in the example) of the course description where appropriate.  What do you think?

I just saw that in the Common App yesterday! And I thought I was done with my course descriptions so went back and tweaked mine again thanks to those few lines. :glare:

I know others have said to stay straightforward, brief, to the point. Mine is mostly that (with course title, provider, resources used including supplements and main topic areas). I have included a line or two for some courses to explain advanced levels (why advanced?) for independent study courses. Didn't bother to do that for AP or DE because I thought it would be self explanatory.

My CDs are in a 2 column format for a total of 15 pages (second to last page lists course providers and last page has sample non-assigned reading list). For each course, the main, wider column on the right lists all the things I mentioned above. My transcript is subject based so the narrower column on the left lists when course was taken (semester/ year), full year or semester duration, online or on campus, college credits earned and a statement like "met twice a week for 5 hours" to summarize the interaction bit.

I could have made it all shorter but there would have been less white space.

Would love to know what others have done.

To tack on a question, does everyone combine transcript and course description into one file to upload to the Common App?

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

I have 8 pages total. Each description is no longer than half a page for self designed courses, a short paragraph for courses that follow a standard text or canon. I included topics covered, major works read, textbook used, GC lectures used, required output for evaluation. I did not say anything about frequency of meeting because in a homeschool seting that makes no sense, schedules, interactions.

For outsourced courses, I listed the instructor and the course description from the institution's catalog.

• Like 3

I did not say anything about frequency of meeting because in a homeschool seting that makes no sense, schedules, interactions.

This suggestion about schedules/ interactions was stated in the Common App Counselor section under a specific tab called Homeschool. Let me see if I can cut and paste here. Bold are my answers (and while I have your attention regentrude, please let me know if you think I should have mentioned something else! :001_smile: )

Please provide any information about the applicant's homeschool experience and environment that you believe would be helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).

Please see the School Report for an explanation of these details.

Words entered: 11

Please explain the grading scale or other methods of evaluation.

Please see the School Report for an explanation of these details.

Words entered: 11

If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below.

Please see the Course Descriptions attached to student's Official High School Transcript for an explanation of these details.

(followed by previous standardized testing date and results)

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

This suggestion about schedules/ interactions was stated in the Common App Counselor section under a specific tab called Homeschool. Let me see if I can cut and paste here. Bold are my answers (and while I have your attention regentrude, please let me know if you think I should have mentioned something else! :001_smile: )

Oh, I have included this on the school profile on the comon app - but not on the course descriptions.

I have answered the third question about outsourced courses right there in the box: list of courses, institution, how many times per week, that t was classroom based instruction.

• Like 1

OMG!  I hadn't even looked at the Common App yet.  We are working on the UC App first.  The ideas mentioned in my original post were from an example that Jeannette Webb uses.  While I have always been a very confident homeschooler, for whatever reason, I am having a very difficult time with the application process.  I can't even imagine what I'm going to come up with for the counselor letter or the school description!

On top of it all, our essay situation is a mess with the changes of the UC system to writing four essays this year - it has more complicated and less straightforward to figure out a "vision" for the complete package of essays.  

• Like 2

My approach is similar to Regentrude's. I hit submit on all my counselor stuff last night, so no going back and changing anything.

I do not include anything about hours of interaction, etc. My school profile is very "untraditional school homeschooly." It talks about my homeschool philosophy which is not grade-level, not worksheet, not textbook based. It briefly describes what each of our homeschool grads is doing. My description of grades states assigned by oral and written exams; essays and compositions; projects and labs.

My course descriptions are 16 pages, 5 or 6 of which were written by her Russian teacher.

Honestly, the course descriptions, her outside awards, and my counselor letter are all about what is one her transcript.

Fwiw, at the end of this application season I will be able to write about applying with no APs and no DE classes. This dd has had very strong opinions about she wanted to do in high school. Her courses were directly chosen by her according to her desires. Ironically, other than my ds who had multiple 300 level DE courses, her transcript is one of the strongest high school transcripts I have seen. So, I am not concerned at all. Time will tell whether or not that confidence is built on a false premise.

• Like 4

OMG!  I hadn't even looked at the Common App yet.  We are working on the UC App first.  The ideas mentioned in my original post were from an example that Jeannette Webb uses.  While I have always been a very confident homeschooler, for whatever reason, I am having a very difficult time with the application process.  I can't even imagine what I'm going to come up with for the counselor letter or the school description!

On top of it all, our essay situation is a mess with the changes of the UC system to writing four essays this year - it has more complicated and less straightforward to figure out a "vision" for the complete package of essays.  

The UC App doesn't need all that information though (and neither do they ask for counselor letters or school descriptions). Have you started? There is a lot of manual inputting of coursework for homeschoolers but other than that I haven't seen anything (and son is almost done, just needs to write essays) that requires us to state how many hours of interaction etc was needed. The Common App on the other hand specifically requests that as per my post upthread.

ETA: UC does ask how many hours per week and weeks per year for each extra curricular and community service activity. But they don't ask that for academic classes.

Edited by quark

The Common App on the other hand specifically requests that as per my post upthread..

Quark, I suspect that question was requested to help discern classes being taken from coop sources from other classes. It is not necessary for classes taken at home. If I had a student to which it applied, I would not provide it for DE classes, either. Coops and online classes are the only reason I can see for that question.

• Like 1

My CDs are in a 2 column format for a total of 15 pages (second to last page lists course providers and last page has sample non-assigned reading list). For each course, the main, wider column on the right lists all the things I mentioned above. My transcript is subject based so the narrower column on the left lists when course was taken (semester/ year), full year or semester duration, online or on campus, college credits earned and a statement like "met twice a week for 5 hours" to summarize the interaction bit.

I was going to list the course provider with each course.  What info did you put on that second to last page?

Also, what do you mean by "sample non-assigned reading list?"  

I have 8 pages total. Each description is no longer than half a page for self designed courses, a short paragraph for courses that follow a standard text or canon. I included topics covered, major works read, textbook used, GC lectures used, required output for evaluation. I did not say anything about frequency of meeting because in a homeschool seting that makes no sense, schedules, interactions.

For outsourced courses, I listed the instructor and the course description from the institution's catalog.

This is pretty much what I planned on doing, but now I'm wondering if it enough since I read below about the Common App requirements  We did look through the Common App this summer, but I didn't look at anything related to the stuff I have to turn in.  I'm afraid I'm going to be in for a shock. 

For the outsourced courses, did you list the instructor and provider after the applicable course, or did you list them on one of the last pages like Quark.  I had planned on listing them with each course.  

I was going to list the course provider with each course.  What info did you put on that second to last page?

Also, what do you mean by "sample non-assigned reading list?"  

For providers, I have a quick intro on selecting experts in their fields as course providers. Then I listed each provider with some quick background info on that person/ school, method of evaluation and grading policy if different from the usual A = 90-100% type of stuff.

I included a reading/ learning list for the high level reading/ things my guy chooses to do in his free time (and not stated/ repeated from anywhere else in his application). I call it sample because it's only a snapshot of what he does (I didn't want to take up more than a page for this but still managed to fit in 50-60 books/ websites/ magazines etc). I left it to the last so that they can ignore it if they want to. It's for the private colleges. This won't go to UC unless DS talks about something from this list in his essays.

Good luck!!

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

Would any of you be willing to cut and paste a single course description from your course description document?  Something universal like science or history?

My daughter is now a college graduate.

A few sample course descriptions ~

This one was taken at the local community college:

WR 121 - English Composition: Exposition and Introduction to Argument

This is the fundamental course for all writing students that introduces students to the conventions of academic writing. It emphasizes defining and developing a significant topic and using principles of clear thinking to support an assertive thesis. Students should understand their subject matter, audience, purpose, and point-of-view, and demonstrate that understanding through the organization and development of their essays. Students should analyze and evaluate other writers' work to sharpen their critical abilities as readers and writers.

4.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

The next one was taken at our local homeschooling resource center (similar to a co-op):

Literature:  A Little Middle English

In this class students read portions of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, stories which have delighted English readers for 700 years.  Students read and interpret the stories together using the original Middle English text.  Several short reflective writing topics are assigned. (Class taken at Y Co-op in 10th grade.)  Awarded 0.25 credits.

This one was a class taken through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers:

AP Statistics

[This description is taken from the Pennsylvania Homeschoolers website.] AP Statistics is a college level introductory course in statistics in which students will learn how to collect, organize, analyze, and interpret data. Statistics is the most widely applicable branch of mathematics and is used by more people than any other kind of math.  We will frequently work on projects involving the hands-on gathering and analysis of real world data. The ideas and computations presented in this course have immediate links and connections with actual events.

Students are exposed to four broad conceptual themes:

Exploring Data. Students collect and examine data and display the patterns that emerge. Data from students in class as well as real world data sets are gathered and used to illustrate concepts.

Producing Models Using Probability and Simulation. Students learn to anticipate patterns and produce models for prediction. Students use simulations to model situations that are not practical to replicate using other methods.

Experimental Design. Students design appropriate experiments in order to draw conclusions that can be generalized to the population of interest. Students will also interpret studies and experiments to determine whether the conclusions from the studies warrant consideration.

Statistical Inference.  Students learn what can be generalized about the population. Students also consider how to investigate research questions, design a study, and interpret the results.

(Class currently in progress through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.)  Awarding 1.00 credits.

The next two were home designed courses:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000

A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality.  This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context.  (Class taken at home in 9th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

World History from 1700 to 2000

This reading-based course covers world-changing events of the 18th through 20th centuries which have shaped our culture today; it complements the associated Literature course (listed above) by giving the student a context for the literature studied. The course also includes musical recordings, documentaries, and videos of or about the time. Map work and short writing assignments are required. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Quark - did you do it one way for the UCs and another way for the Common App?

Sorry, I just saw this. UCs don't ask for course descriptions or the transcript.

Your DD will need to (probably) manually input her courses (self report). That's it.

Once she is accepted, you will need to send the campus the official transcript with all final grades. Basically, I don't think UCs see any course descriptions at all.

• Like 1

A couple of nights ago, I was talking to a public schooling friend about all of the documentation that had to be done and she mentioned that she had a friend whose husband is a counselor at a nearby all girls Catholic high school (the one we would have gone to if we hadn't homeschooled).  She said she could ask him if he would help, and he got back to her and said he would happy to help.  That was over the weekend, and I haven't heard from him yet, but when I do, I will share whatever helpful info I get.  

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 2

Sorry, I just saw this. UCs don't ask for course descriptions or the transcript.

Your DD will need to (probably) manually input her courses (self report). That's it.

Once she is accepted, you will need to send the campus the official transcript with all final grades. Basically, I don't think UCs see any course descriptions at all.

I knew they didn't ask for the official transcript until final grades, but didn't realize that about course descriptions! Do the UC's ask for a counselor letter... or a school profile?

I knew they didn't ask for the official transcript until final grades, but didn't realize that about course descriptions! Do the UC's ask for a counselor letter... or a school profile?

No, there's no counselor section at all. It's only the student's application, self reporting of courses (academic history), extracurriculars/ awards etc. and personal insight essays.

• Like 1

No, there's no counselor section at all. It's only the student's application, self reporting of courses (academic history), extracurriculars/ awards etc. and personal insight essays.

Woo-hoo!!!  :party: I think I'm starting to feel more love for the UC application process!!

So, on the flip side - the common app asks for all of those things, right?

So, on the flip side - the common app asks for all of those things, right?

Yes.

The student side of the portal seems quite well thought out (so far that I can see). It wasn't difficult to complete. But I don't know if it gets more complicated as you add more schools (DS is so far only considering one Common App school).

The counselor side has space for uploading up to 4 official transcripts, and a school profile and then of course, the counselor letter. I'm guessing that the course descriptions could be attached with the transcript. If you are preparing the transcript and course descriptions as separate documents (in Microsoft Word for example), you can save them as pdf and then use the merge pdf function in smallpdf.com to combine them into one doc for free. If you have Acrobat Pro/DC software you can just do it on your computer. There's a limit of 500kb per document.

• Like 1

Kareni, your examples are super helpful. Thanks!

Thank you, Kareni, for taking the time to do this! Your varied examples are really helpful :)  I was thinking that some of my course descriptions were getting a little long-winded, and your concise examples seconded that opinion.

I'm glad to have been of help.  Many others helped me when my daughter was a highschooler, so it's nice to be on the other side of the equation. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

The counselor side has space for uploading up to 4 official transcripts, and a school profile and then of course, the counselor letter. I'm guessing that the course descriptions could be attached with the transcript. If you are preparing the transcript and course descriptions as separate documents (in Microsoft Word for example), you can save them as pdf and then use the merge pdf function in smallpdf.com to combine them into one doc for free.

Unless you already have four transcripts for some reason, you don't need to merge files. The transcript is one transcript, and the course descriptions can be uploaded in the next slot.

• Like 3

Unless you already have four transcripts for some reason, you don't need to merge files. The transcript is one transcript, and the course descriptions can be uploaded in the next slot.

That's really good to know! Thanks!

I thought uploading them together would mean just one step access for the reader but I think the application preview will show them all sequenced one page after another too if I upload them as 2 separate pdfs?

Gah, I'm getting so tired of the tweaking of these documents.  Last night, I read the fine print on the transcript for one set of online courses and realized that they were "quarter units" not "semester credits".  

That meant I had to revise the course descriptions again.  It also led to my changing what high school credit I awarded for the courses.  Which meant I had to go back and revise the GPA.  Again.  

And since I have a table showing annual cumulative GPA, I had to re-figure 3 years worth to get back to the year where the change in credit happened.

I'm ready to stick a fork in these docs this weekend and move on with my life.

• Like 5