Menu

Mathematics Made Meaninful

ReadingMama1214

I recently came across this while looking at C-Rods on Amazon. Has anyone used Mathematics Made Meaningful? I want to buy C-Rods and this looks like a great way to use them to teach math. We are after schooling for preschool, but DD is more at a K level for math so we do math at home a few times a week and DD loves math manipulatives. 

https://www.amazon.com/ETA-hand2mind-Mathematics-Meaningful-Cuisenaire/dp/B008N183A2/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1423572703&sr=1-2&keywords=mathematics+made+meaningful

I recently came across this while looking at C-Rods on Amazon. Has anyone used Mathematics Made Meaningful? I want to buy C-Rods and this looks like a great way to use them to teach math. We are after schooling for preschool, but DD is more at a K level for math so we do math at home a few times a week and DD loves math manipulatives. 

https://www.amazon.com/ETA-hand2mind-Mathematics-Meaningful-Cuisenaire/dp/B008N183A2/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1423572703&sr=1-2&keywords=mathematics+made+meaningful

Never mind, the Math Made Meaningful I was referencing is a different one.

I love Mathematics Made Meaningful. I bought mine from the publisher, which is just a few dollars more (back before there was such a thing as Amazon!). You're right--it *is* a great way to teach math.

It never got done here. I bought it with the intention of doing it with DS for preschool/pre-k but it never worked out. Instead I finally got around to bringing out the Miquon Orange at the end of his K year after it had sat on a shelf for about a year. I was VERY intimidated by it because it looked so weird and different to me. After being very reluctant to finally use it I am now a huge fan. I would recommend jumping in with that instead.

We never used it much but we already had a great and manipulative heavy curriculum. What I found extremely valuable about the book was the basic math theory it covers from a *teaching* aspect. Cuisenaire rods are great and that book is a gem. But it's all a little overkill with something like RightStart already in use. With a more worksheet/book based method I think it's fantastic.

Okay. That was what I was originally going to use.

Other question, are unifix cubes worth it too? Trying to decide if I should get both

Do you have Legos or Duplos?

We have a few sets of Unifix cubes thanks to hand-me-downs, but really, something you probably have on hand will more than suffice.

• Like 1

Do you have Legos or Duplos?

We have a few sets of Unifix cubes thanks to hand-me-downs, but really, something you probably have on hand will more than suffice.

We do have a TON of Legos and duplos. That's a good idea.

I decided to go with c-rods and education unboxed. I have some other manipulatives that we can use as well (clock, play money, etc.)

Dd is really into place value, but doesn't understand it. She just asks a lot about larger numbers. I think the rods will be great for that.