Menu

Please help Algebra 1 planning

Same daughter that I was asking about re. biology (visual spatial learner, hands on, some LDs but wants to go into health sciences of some kind so needs a good STEM base in high school).

I have Jacobs Algebra at home and I could do that with her. 

I have Algebra the Easy Way (text based in the form of a story).

I think that I have AOPS algebra (but it might be pre-algebra).  We've never done anything remotely like this.  She is not strong in math though she does seem to be more intuitive about it even though she doesn't always know why a certain way works.

In the past she's done well with Khan academy and the Key to workbooks.  But Khan got frustrating for her as it went up in level because it had some accuracy issues so Khan academy is out.  Is Key to Algebra an actual algebra I course? 

Any recommendations?  Thoughts?

• Like 1

My vsl does really well with Mathusee Algebra.  It teaches the more conceptual view.  I am aware that some consider it light, but I actually consider it great for big picture thinkers.  If they understand the concepts (and Mr. Demme is great at that), then the actual work is no problem. Except of course for those pesky details that come from "careless errors," which you just have to try to train out of your big picture thinker or be aware that those will always crop up.

We are concurrently using Lifepac Geometry for my vsl due to spending a semester with Horizons Algebra last year and not starting MUS until January.  I don't know that I would recommend Lifepac for anyone, but it's working for us.  I tweak a lot.  It's nice that it's in workbook form, and I do a lot of highlighting and extra teaching.  Plus I got awesome geometry manipulatives from Lakeshore Learning which I use to demonstrate stuff.

If we weren't doubling up on Math this year, I probably would just go all with Mathusee.  I do plan on using it for Algebra 2 and PreCal also.  I think it is very solid on concepts, which is what our vsls need.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, I don't think Key to Algebra would be a full course.  Definitely helpful though.

We are viewing The Great Courses Algebra 1 course (maybe available from the library?) and we just started using the Prentice Hall Classics Algebra 1 textbook.  So far I like the explanations in both.

Good luck on your quest!

Edited by PollyOR
  • Like 1

I would not use the Prentice Hall algebra book ("Foerster") with a kid who is not a strong math student. It is a very rigorous book.

My son, who struggles with math, is currently using Teaching Textbooks (pre-algebra). We have used TT since starting with TT3, and we like it, but I may switch next year for Algebra. I would like a program that is "adaptive" or whatever they call it, the type where students see more of the types of problems they are having difficulty with. Two I have considered are CTC and ALEKS.

You may also be interested in trying TabletClass. My dd is using TC Geometry and really enjoys it.

Key To books are a good supplement but are not a full course.

• Like 1

What are her weaknesses/potential LD issues?  Jacobs sounds like a great idea IMO, as starting off gently but being very solid conceptually.  With a VSL, I would go with teaching through the strength (concepts) rather than through weaknesses (typically any program focusing a bit more on procedures to transmit understanding than on concepts).  As always with potential learning issues, tweak as necessary (white board, etc.).

• Like 1

I don't know if my son is a VSL, but he definitely learns better from a teacher than straight from a book. We are halfway through Prentice Hall Algebra 1 (not the classics Foerster one - the package sold at RR). I teach the lessons with a whiteboard or on scratch paper. I demonstrate, have him try, back & forth through the examples. I use Brightstorm as a backup if I'm not available or if he needs another person to explain it. I love the Brightstorm videos - Alyssa Fong is a very encouraging math teacher and explains things clearly. The package has TMs, a softcover answer key, and everything in digital format. I print the practice worksheets so my son doesn't have to keep track of which problems to do from the book.

I do have Foerster on the shelf, and I may be the first person to say this - but I think it is visually awful. It's all so plain and there is not an illustration in sight. With my PH text, steps are written in different colors, there are arrows pointing to steps, and it's just much clearer. With Foerster, it's written more like a narrative so I have to translate it into math steps, while with PH I can just *see* the math steps.

• Like 1

I do have Foerster on the shelf, and I may be the first person to say this - but I think it is visually awful. It's all so plain and there is not an illustration in sight. With my PH text, steps are written in different colors, there are arrows pointing to steps, and it's just much clearer. With Foerster, it's written more like a narrative so I have to translate it into math steps, while with PH I can just *see* the math steps.

IMO, Foerster's plainness is appealing in that communication from book to reader is clearer.  By comparison, PH may be cluttered and distracting for some VSLs - a bit too much color, especially when used just for random headings and such - and sidebars.  I hate sidebars!  To a VSL, colorful cluttered pages may be akin to multiple teachers all at once screaming random, semi-connected info.  I do think color can be used judiciously for steps more than Foerster uses it.  Howver, with so much else on the page in PH, the VSL may need to actively block out the other info in order to take in the colored steps.  The PH layout isn't totally awful, just not as straightforward as Foerster.  On the opposite end of Foerster's plainness would be the Glencoe McGraw Hill Common Core texts, which are visually nauseating, though I do find the online versions a bit clearer than the books.

Something about the Foerster pages seems dark to me, maybe the matte ivory, though that is probably my own idiosyncrasy, preferring a brighter white for my old lady eyes.  In contrast, students who are sensitive to light may find relief in the Foerster pages.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

That's interesting. The main reason that my dd liked Foerster initially was because the pages were so cleanly laid out. She is famous for saying, "No pictures of smiling children in my math book!" She also dismissed a possible grammar book once because pictures of basketball players did not belong in a grammar book.

I felt that the steps were very clearly laid out in Foerster. Each step would be on a separate line with an explanation next to it. We never had any trouble following it.

Potato, Po-tah-toe!

• Like 2

Dd and I looked at Teaching Textbooks (which I had forgotten that I had until it was mentioned here), Jacobs and AoPS.  For now, we've decided to go with Jacobs.  She thought that it looked interesting and doable.  If we have trouble I have plenty of suggestions here to look at.  Thank you! 

Jacobs is one that I've never seen.

I am sorely tempted to peek on Amazon.  Help!  I think I have a problem...