Menu

Growing with Grammar

hands-on-mama

We liked it for 2nd. I did review concepts daily with my DD before each lesson and then I explained the new concept before she did the exercises, which I then corrected immediately and discussed with her. That seemed to help with retention. Maybe it gets a bad rep because it's just handed over to be done without parental input (and I understand why... it's advertised as being independent)? I don't think my daughter's retention would have been good in that case. It was still short and simple, though, I'd use it again.

We aren't using it year because (a) I am not going to hit grammar every year and (b) we will be discussing grammar in our French studies this year.

• Like 2

Why does this curriculum get a bad rep? I know it's not as rigorous as R&S, but it seems to me that it's as solid as Easy Grammar. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

We used it for 2nd and my daughter retained well. We are about to go back to it for 3rd.

It's grammar light, IMHO, but that's all a 7yo needs, anyway. In our home, grammar is not studied until dc are 10 or 11.

It is not as "solid" as EG, also IMHO. :-)

we didn't like it, but that was after using 4 years of FLL.  It was just too easy in year 5 for ds1 to pick out the correct answer without having to think about it. There were no trickier questions or 'people often get this wrong because' sorts of things.

So, as someone mentioned 'grammar light' is fine for the early years, I didn't find it appropriate for the middle grades. And for years 1-4 FLL was a better choice for us.  Going to GWG after FLL was just... not good.

• Like 1

Can you explain to me why it's not up to par with EG? I really want to know this. :)

Because it isn't. Compare one with the other and you'll see.

Also, I much prefer Easy Grammar's method of learning prepositional phrases first, with adverbs (the trickiest part of speech, IMHO) being at the end. GWG followed the same format as other grammar products I had seen or used and rejected.

Because it isn't. Compare one with the other and you'll see.

Also, I much prefer Easy Grammar's method of learning prepositional phrases first, with adverbs (the trickiest part of speech, IMHO) being at the end. GWG followed the same format as other grammar products I had seen or used and rejected.

This is where I'm not seeing a ton of difference though. Maybe it's because there are so few samples online. I need to see if someone nearby has EG to look through. I ordered FLL 1 for my youngest though.

We liked it for 2nd. I did review concepts daily with my DD before each lesson and then I explained the new concept before she did the exercises, which I then corrected immediately and discussed with her. That seemed to help with retention. Maybe it gets a bad rep because it's just handed over to be done without parental input (and I understand why... it's advertised as being independent)? I don't think my daughter's retention would have been good in that case. It was still short and simple, though, I'd use it again.

We aren't using it year because (a) I am not going to hit grammar every year and (b) we will be discussing grammar in our French studies this year.

We used it this way too. Dd has always liked it and retained the info. We are in a testing state, and she performs well in usage, mechanics, etc. Her overall score for language is in the 90+ percent.

I tried to switch to Daily Grammar Review just for variety, but we switched back to GWG. Grammar always get done, and it was easy to adapt the level of written work for her. She has dysgraphia so I adjust all her written output.

• Like 1

This is where I'm not seeing a ton of difference though. Maybe it's because there are so few samples online. I need to see if someone nearby has EG to look through. I ordered FLL 1 for my youngest though.

The sequence that parts of speech and whatnot are introduced is different, beginning with prepositions instead of nouns and verbs.  GWG is just like every other product/publisher I've looked at. Bleah. :-)

We used growing with grammar for one year, and it was okay. I didn't go back to it, though. I feel there are many better options for 3rd grade.

We used First Language Lessons for 3rd and 4th grade and it was so much better. Some other options that haven't been mentioned are Voyages in English and Abeka. I actually like the Abeka 3rd grade language workbook.

Even if you don't find the perfect curriculum this year, or chose to go with Growing with Grammar, it will be fine. There are many years to come to learn all of that. :)

• Like 1