Menu

Update: Help me plan my wedding (simple, relaxed, second)

lisabees

Your dress is beautiful! It sounds like everything is coming together well. 

Passing along a forum that might be helpful to you in your cooking. It is a very friendly and helpful place. Not quite as fast moving as this one, but if you post a question, I think you;ll get some good help.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/cooking

Sorry - edited - wrong link. 

Edited by lewber
  • Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flower question...

Here is the link to the local flower farm.  One bucket is $115 for 100 stems of mixed flowers.  A bucket of greenery is $75.  I am not sure how many to get.  We'd like a nice sized arrangement on the food table and some mason jars throughout the outside and inside.  Remember, there is no reception hall or anything.  Just two houses that we are renting.  

I don't want to spend money on unnecessary things.  Maybe I should just plant some wildflower seeds on our property!

And would you recommend a bouquet?  Will a small one be nice for pictures?

Of course I will need a flower crown. :)

Edited by lisabees

One idea on the flower crown is to go silk flowers.   That way you get it just the way you want it way ahead of time, and most importantly you can keep it forever (looking the same).  Hang it on the wall as a momento.  

My bouquet was silk, and I love that it is on top of a bookcase in the living room.  

• Like 1

Your dress is beautiful! It sounds like everything is coming together well. 

Passing along a forum that might be helpful to you in your cooking. It is a very friendly and helpful place. Not quite as fast moving as this one, but if you post a question, I think you;ll get some good help.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/cooking

Sorry - edited - wrong link. 

Thank you! Chowhound is another one.

Flower question...

Here is the link to the local flower farm.  One bucket is $115 for 100 stems of mixed flowers.  A bucket of greenery is $75.  I am not sure how many to get.  We'd like a nice sized arrangement on the food table and some mason jars throughout the outside and inside.  Remember, there is no reception hall or anything.  Just two houses that we are renting.  

I don't want to spend money on unnecessary things.  Maybe I should just plant some wildflower seeds on our property!

And would you recommend a bouquet?  Will a small one be nice for pictures?

Of course I will need a flower crown. :)

I'd start with a list of the flowers needed (not saying these are all required or desired, but are options often used in weddings):

large arrangement for food table

small arrangements for mason jars (how many?)

floral crown for bride

bouquet for bride?

boutonniere for groom?

boutonnieres/small bouquets/flowers for hair for children?

boutonnieres/corsages for couple's parents?

Do you want edible/food safe flowers for the cake (maybe as a cake topper)? Can the flower farm provide those?

I do like a bouquet (and it gives your hands something to do while walking ;) ). A nosegay or a presentation style could work well and both are pretty easy to make.  https://www.bloomsbythebox.com/pub/bridalbouquets.cfm  I did a nosegay/tussie mussie style for my wedding focusing on red and white roses and ribbons with love knots tied at irregular intervals (as well as a white and red rose floral crown over my veil) and my sister had a presentation style for hers with calla lilies as the focus. With wildflowers, a nosegay may work best. Hopefully they can give you an idea of the types of flowers that will be blooming for the wedding so you can get an idea of the range of sizes of blooms. It looks like they sell specific flowers by the stem or bunch. For a bouquet and the large arrangement, it might be worth considering getting a bunch or a few stems of larger blooms specifically to serve as the framework and using the flowers and greenery that come in the bulk buckets as filler.

A couple of options of how to make a floral crown http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flower-Crown

You'll need florist's wire, florist's tape, wire cutters, maybe ribbon. Make sure you allow plenty of time the night before to put together the crown(s)/corsages/boutonnieres since they won't last long and have space in the fridge to keep them cool until the ceremony. I'd suggest the wired crown rather than the braided, personally. When we did our handfasting, both my husband and I wore floral crowns, though his was more greenery-intensive than mine (think the contrast between leis for women and for men).

Any bouquets can be used to help decorate the table after the ceremony, either placed in jars or laid out, with ribbons trailing if you use them. 

You could definitely plant the wildflowers and they'd be meaningful, but I'd consider them as a bonus. We had planned to use white roses from our garden, but right before our wedding they became infested with thrips and looked awful! You may also have some greenery available on your property that can be used to help fill out bouquets.

You're probably going to need more flowers than you think. Take a look at the photos in their gallery and try to count the number of blooms in a given arrangement to see how full they are and then extrapolate. Will you be happy with a somewhat higher ratio of greenery to flowers to keep costs down? How far in advance do you have to give a firm number? Can they show you a photo of what a bucket of 100 stems looks like? It sounds like a lot, but may not be as full as you think depending on the size of the blooms. Can you supplement with some bunches of baby's breath, as someone suggested upthread? That should be very inexpensive and readily available.

You mentioned that your fiance loves flowers. Is this perhaps an area where it might be worth putting more of the budget?

• Like 1

I'd start with a list of the flowers needed (not saying these are all required or desired, but are options often used in weddings):

large arrangement for food table

small arrangements for mason jars (how many?)

floral crown for bride

bouquet for bride?

boutonniere for groom?

boutonnieres/small bouquets/flowers for hair for children?

boutonnieres/corsages for couple's parents?

Do you want edible/food safe flowers for the cake (maybe as a cake topper)? Can the flower farm provide those?

I do like a bouquet (and it gives your hands something to do while walking ;) ). A nosegay or a presentation style could work well and both are pretty easy to make.  https://www.bloomsbythebox.com/pub/bridalbouquets.cfm  I did a nosegay/tussie mussie style for my wedding focusing on red and white roses and ribbons with love knots tied at irregular intervals (as well as a white and red rose floral crown over my veil) and my sister had a presentation style for hers with calla lilies as the focus. With wildflowers, a nosegay may work best. Hopefully they can give you an idea of the types of flowers that will be blooming for the wedding so you can get an idea of the range of sizes of blooms. It looks like they sell specific flowers by the stem or bunch. For a bouquet and the large arrangement, it might be worth considering getting a bunch or a few stems of larger blooms specifically to serve as the framework and using the flowers and greenery that come in the bulk buckets as filler.

A couple of options of how to make a floral crown http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flower-Crown

You'll need florist's wire, florist's tape, wire cutters, maybe ribbon. Make sure you allow plenty of time the night before to put together the crown(s)/corsages/boutonnieres since they won't last long and have space in the fridge to keep them cool until the ceremony. I'd suggest the wired crown rather than the braided, personally. When we did our handfasting, both my husband and I wore floral crowns, though his was more greenery-intensive than mine (think the contrast between leis for women and for men).

Any bouquets can be used to help decorate the table after the ceremony, either placed in jars or laid out, with ribbons trailing if you use them. 

You could definitely plant the wildflowers and they'd be meaningful, but I'd consider them as a bonus. We had planned to use white roses from our garden, but right before our wedding they became infested with thrips and looked awful! You may also have some greenery available on your property that can be used to help fill out bouquets.

You're probably going to need more flowers than you think. Take a look at the photos in their gallery and try to count the number of blooms in a given arrangement to see how full they are and then extrapolate. Will you be happy with a somewhat higher ratio of greenery to flowers to keep costs down? How far in advance do you have to give a firm number? Can they show you a photo of what a bucket of 100 stems looks like? It sounds like a lot, but may not be as full as you think depending on the size of the blooms. Can you supplement with some bunches of baby's breath, as someone suggested upthread? That should be very inexpensive and readily available.

You mentioned that your fiance loves flowers. Is this perhaps an area where it might be worth putting more of the budget?

I am definitely not interested in making the crown and bouquet myself; I would have the florist do those.  There will be no time.  I'd like to concentrate on the food and being with guests.  They will be arriving at the house the day before.

Okay - so I need more flowers than I think.  The woman at the flower farm suggested two buckets of mixed and one of greenery.  She would make a small bouquet - not a normal sized one - for me.  My fiancee wants a boutonniere, so she can do that, too.  And the flower crown.  

I think I will also plant some wildflowers as a bonus, like you said. :)  And great idea about the greenery on our property.  Plenty on our four acres. Was it you who mentioned upthread to beware of poison ivy etc?  Hmmm...

And good idea about the baby's breath.  I like baby's breath.

Off to look at her pinterest site, to see if she has a pic of her buckets...

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Knowing that people would be around to enjoy them for longer than a normal reception would open my pockets a bit on flowers.  But then on the other hand it doesn't sound like you will have many round tables requiring centerpieces.  

Definitely no round tables.  Just regular house seating, inside and outside.

But good point.  People will be around to enjoy them!

I think I've made up my mind!

Potted plants!  I love making up pots every year.  I know how to do it.  It can be done early and exactly the way I want it.

I need three larger ones for tables.  Maybe rectangular wooden boxes, made and stained by my fiancee.  He would be totally into that.  He was designing our invitations for hours last night. :)

Then, a handful of small planters of alyssum or lavender.  Or whatever I find that is available.  Perennials would be even better.

I would still have the florist do my bouquet etc.

The options are limitless, but maybe something like these...

normal_small_plantabox_with_sentimental_

3421ebdd2c565751e296e9e34c6cdc53.jpg

0dd057bbe4192df3a05c4daafd375b0d.jpg

1309a490e8aa84f47bf63f38be8c09a2.jpg

3a85c0953000ba6ca73f03da36bd93f1.jpg

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 4