Menu

How do you keep track of grades?

I used one of these for each subject with my dd. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84OG3_hMVq6elNXT1J2NmREZzg/view?usp=sharing

I'm using this planner with ds, and it has a complete grade section in the back for 8 subjects and 40 weeks. I've never seen another planner have grades for just one student because most are for teachers in school. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q4Z946G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

What worked for me last year was a 3-ring binder with dividers.  I kept track of the grades on the back of the dividers for each subject.  That way it was all in one place and I could keep any papers for myself or my student right in the binder along with the grade all divided by subject. Examples of work you would like to keep for examples can be kept in here too.   I just marked the outside 9th grade.

Blessings,

Pat

• Like 1

Thanks so much for posting this question--and for the helpful answers and recommendations!

Amy in GA, I viewed your shared Google doc and had one quick question--what are the roman numerals indicating on your single subject sheet?  I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing something!   :lol: Thanks for the link to the planners--yay for affordability and functionality!

Tracie in TN

Edited by TracieBee

I've used the five J grade book linked above, the iPad app called Homeschool Helper, and OneNote.

OneNote is the most flexible option for me. I can toss anything in there that I want to be part of my homeschool records, not just grades but course descriptions, assignment or book lists, samples of work, etc. If it's a subject with a lot of graded material to keep track of, I embed an excel spreadsheet in there for that. It's actually a modified version of the fiveJ grade book: I deleted everything except a single subject grade sheet as my starting point.

• Like 1

So far, I do old fashioned hand written records:

I keep grades in 3 places: First, I write grades in my lesson plan book written with a circle around it on the appropriate day and subject area slot. (short term)

The second place I keep grades is on a fill in the blank sheet that lets me get the grades for an entire quarter (10 weeks) in one place. again - this  is handwritten. (this gives me report card data) I just print 4 per year per student. (I make my own fill in the blank grade sheets)

The last place I keep grades is a spiral notebook where I can write all the grades in columns and come up with my percentages for quizzes, tests, labs, papers, and daily work ....  (This gives me space to group the report card data into percentages that accurately reflect the content of the coarse. It is a help for my course descriptions.) I take about 1 page per subject.

The grade books I saw in teacher stores were hard to adapt for my homeschool, so I made my own sheets that correlate exactly with my lesson plans. I just print new ones every year. These are just table charts in a word document. They work for me. I like to use color and highlighters, etc - - so handwritten is easier for me.

Thanks so much for posting this question--and for the helpful answers and recommendations!

Amy in GA, I viewed your shared Google doc and had one quick question--what are the roman numerals indicating on your single subject sheet? I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing something! :lol: Thanks for the link to the planners--yay for affordability and functionality!

Tracie in TN

It is not my own document, but I assumed those are to represent 5 days of school each week without designating them Monday through Friday as most would.