Menu

Wii Guitar Hero - why is this rated "teen?"

My ds is wanting this game for the Wii, but I am concerned about it being rated T for Teen. Can anyone tell me why it has this rating?

TIA!

I looked into it for my ds for his 9th birthday (he really wanted Rock Band, but that was out of our price range).

I don't remember all of the details, but I remember in the current version (3, I think?) part of the game plot was descending into hell.

"One wrinkle to this year's mode is the addition of animated cutscenes that sketch a minimal story about your band's meteoric rise and eventual fall (literally) into hell." This is from this reviewof the game.

Edited by JudoMom
ETA: Link

I was just talking about this with my husband today. My dd (10) plays it at a friend's house and loves the game, but it is disconcerting (to say the least!!) to hear the kids singing lyrics from 80's songs. Think the band Poison. That said, *we* knew those lyrics too! And i swear I did not know what they really meant until I grew much older. Anyway, I think the rating would be for the cartoon characters that appear on stage in their rock 'n roll clothing, and also for the lyrics of the songs. (Darn it. Now I am singing Poison songs)

I have no clue why it's rated for teens. We have it, I play it, and so do my kiddos. It's fine. You play songs. Yes, some o fthe cartoon character figures might be strangely clad. You'd see worse at the mall.

Ria

Which version do you have? I got the impression that III had gotten a little darker from doing research over the summer. But I've never played it.

DS (11) says that yes, GH3 is "darker" than the others. No problems with 1 and 2 from what we can tell. The music in 1 and 2 is more upbeat and more of what I remember from high school.

Ria

Thanks :001_smile:. For the Wii only 3 and Aerosmith are available. I wish they'd come out with the earlier versions because it does sound like fun.

I have no clue why it's rated for teens. We have it, I play it, and so do my kiddos. It's fine. You play songs. Yes, some o fthe cartoon character figures might be strangely clad. You'd see worse at the mall.

Ria

i've only seen it a few times at friends' homes but my first thought is that the rating would probably have something to do with scantily clad rock 'n roll babes.

My sons played it at a cousin's house and enjoyed it (they are 12 and 15). They wanted me to watch them play it when I arrived to pick them up. I was a bit appalled at the figures - they were rather gross in my estimation. Perhaps I don't get out much, but I have usually been known as a bit on the liberal side compared to my homeschooling buddies. I wish they could take the guitar hero idea and put some decent (rather than raunchy) characters on it.

There may be other versions that are good that I haven't seen. This has been my only experience with it.

My 9yo LOVES Guitar Hero!! He plays on the expert level, and I'm a very proud mama! (He loves to go to the mall and play in the little tournaments they have and he always draws a crowd because he's small for his age and it's just too adorable!!)

Anyway...he's been playing for almost a year now (it was a family game that we gave our kids for Christmas last year)

I find nothing objectionable with it -- some of the songs might be a little too 'heavy metal' for some tastes and, yes, the animated girls can be scantily dressed, but...it's animated!

So...I vote to let 'em rock on!!! :D