Menu

Anyone have a decaf they love that does well in their espresso maker?

StaceyinLA

I'm SO loving my espresso maker, but the caffeine is NOT loving me. I do okay limiting to one cappuccino, but sometimes I would really love a second.

I'd like to try a half-caff by mixing a good decaf with this New Guinea blend I am loving, but I need a good decaf that'll work well in the machine.

Ideas?

• Like 1

I use Peet's coffee for decaf, but I have a stovetop espresso thingy. Not sure if it matters. 

:iagree:

I've tried a lot but Peet's Decaf French Roast is superior. I don't know about their other decafs but the FR is strong enough that even my coffee-loving dh will use it in a pinch. I use it in a glass Bodum.

Thanks DawnM! I am super happy with it, especially considering the price. I know there are better ones out there, but my cappuccinos are tasting a heck of a lot like the ones I was drinking from my nephew's Jura, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Now I need to work on my froth-making abilities because I have no consistency yet with getting really good froth; I've been trying to watch videos.

I also have to find a good decaf because only being able have one cappuccino a day is NOT making me happy.

• Like 1

I buy Starbucks decaf expresso beans and have them grind it for me. Our espresso machine works best when the beans are ground very slightly more coarse than Starbucks regular espresso grind setting. YMMV

It makes very flavorful (read: strong) espressos, lattes, cappuccinos, and americanos :)

Thanks DawnM! I am super happy with it, especially considering the price. I know there are better ones out there, but my cappuccinos are tasting a heck of a lot like the ones I was drinking from my nephew's Jura, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Now I need to work on my froth-making abilities because I have no consistency yet with getting really good froth; I've been trying to watch videos.

I also have to find a good decaf because only being able have one cappuccino a day is NOT making me happy.

Do you steam some out first?  Kind of to prime it?  That is what works for me.

• Like 1

Do you steam some out first? Kind of to prime it? That is what works for me.

That's a good plan. Listen to Dawn!

So happy you like your machine, and completely in agreement that one a day is not enough.

We never make decaf, so I'm no help. I have one friend who visits, and we use a decaf for her in our machine, but she prefers coffee, so we make coffee, using the separate chute. She like Tim Horton's but I don't know how it would be as espresso.

• Like 1

Do you steam some out first? Kind of to prime it? That is what works for me.

Yes because it shoots a little water out at first. I just can't keep the wand in properly during the frothing I don't think. I am letting it stay in too far or not far enough.

My nephew uses LaVazza Dek. I ordered a pound to try. He says he adjusts the grind to be a little less fine when he uses his decaf. I may give the Camano decaf another shot (no pun intended), adjusting the grind to see if that makes a difference.

My biggest problem is I love the Camano New Guinea and don't WANT to drink every decaf, but the eye twitching has got to stop! ;-p