Menu

If a kiddo reads BA guides for free reading...

Would you go back and have them re-read the relevant sections before doing the practice guide problems? DS is reading them in bed at night, and is halfway through 3C, even though we're only just now beginning the 3B practice book. But I expect the gap between what he's reading and what he's doing is only going to grow (since he only started reading them for fun a week ago).

It is unlikely a kid would keep reading through something he doesn't understand. I know mine wouldn't. I would let him work through the workbooks. The odds are, if he likes reading those guides, he wouldn't mind rereading them if he gets stuck.

If you are worried, ask orally the key questions about concepts covered.

If he enjoys reading them, it won't hurt him to reread to brush up on the topics before doing it. On the other hand, the real teaching is in the practice books so if he's resistant to that, then he got the introduction and you can just let it go. If he really loves them, he'll run out soon enough and maybe he'll reread them.

Ds and dd both read the guides for fun and they've all been read through multiple times. I let them go for it and we just go over the relevant section together before doing the corresponding workbook pages. I figure the more they read it the more the concepts can solidify in their minds and they can apply them more readily.

I've been wondering about this too. What about the stop signs where they are supposed to try to figure things out on their own? How important are those? So far I've stopped dd from reading ahead because I didn't want to loose any of the "discovery" aspect, but she's interested in reading them for fun. Then again, it is motivational for her to have to work at the problems to be able to read more, so I don't know.

I don't know how old your DS is, but I see some kids as young as 7 also just reading through them, which is great. If your kid is young (under 8), I would make sure the concepts are understood, assuming you are also working on workbook. I think it's possible for younger ones to keep moving without really knowing what they read. I remember that chess board on skip counting chapter. I read it twice before I knew what on earth was happening. 😳 I would be more inclined to not pressure an older (9+) kid.

Thanks, All! He's a pretty mathy kid and seems to get most of it (though some of the longer words come out jumbled when he wants to talk to me about something - I think he's not reading the entire word carefully when it's something like quadrilateral). They often have a basic enough review in the practice books that I just see if he's got questions about that and then review the guide if so, so maybe I'll just keep that as the basic model and let him read at his own pace otherwise.

FWIW, DD regularly reads math books ahead (and behind, if she can get her hands on Something interesting) for fun. It hasn't been a problem when we actually got to that level of math. LOF five days is her current "light reading"-she's not even trying the math independently yet.