Menu

Bastille Day deaths

Miss Peregrine

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this article in The Economist.

France adheres to a strict form of secularism, known as laïcité, which is designed to keep religion out of public life. This principle was entrenched by law in 1905, after fierce anti-clerical struggles with the Roman Catholic church. Today, the lines are in some ways blurred. The French maintain, for instance, certain Catholic public holidays, such as Ascension. But secular rules on the whole prevail. It would be unthinkable in France, for example, to hold a nativity play in a state primary school, or for a president to be sworn in on a Bible.

France bans all conspicuous religious symbols in public places, such as schools.

They do maintain cultural holidays which were originally Catholic, like many countries which are now largely non-religious but with a Christian history. They function as cultural, not religious, holidays.

I think the idea that laicite is anti-Muslim is wrong. I don't agree with the ban being best in my country, but France isn't my country. They want to hold the secular line ? They have that right, and the reasoning behind the ban on religious symbols of all kinds is clear.

Idk. I don't buy the leftist narrative of terrorism emerging from the terrorized anymore. Look at Bangladesh a few weeks ago - the terrorists were from the political elite, university educated, wealthy. They weren't living in the slums, third generation immigrant, poor, under the heel of the state.

Just asking a question because I've never lived in France. Do people really believe that being a French Muslim is the same secular experience as being a French Catholic?

I know there's Catholic schools, and they are basically state schools (something about the building being rented from the government, or something complicated like that).

Anyway, this is an exercise in making sense of the senseless. I really don't think the oppressed are rising up. Terrorists attack because they can, I think they are opportunists. Why France is taking the brunt I don't know, I don't think there's a logical answer to all this. But saying that the secular French state is working the same for everyone seems a bit much too.

France bans all conspicuous religious symbols in public places, such as schools.

I could see a difference though, a Christian is not required to wear a cross as a tenet of their faith.  A Muslim is required to cover. (or some believe they are according to their interpretation.)  So the ban doesn't prohibit Christians from doing anything they believe they must do, but it does for Muslims.

In America, we grant exceptions for those kind of things.

Edited by goldberry