Menu

Interview Help Needed

HRAAB

It's been 20 years since I worked and 34 since I had an interview.  Now I have a phone interview this Friday morning, and I'm trying to get all my thoughts down on paper.  I've read several articles about interviewing, but I have questions pertaining specifically to homeschooling.  I don't want them to think I've been lazing about eating bonbons and watching soaps for the last 2 decades, but I'm not sure whether I should go into homeschooling.  Still, addressing learning needs, choosing and tailoring curriculum, writing lesson plans for 5 children, teaching and organizing the school days has kept me mentally active and required considerable research and organizing.  Also, if they ask me why I'm looking for work at this point, should I just stick to the fact that my children are older and I want to re-enter the workforce and not mention anything about my dh's jobs being offshored 3 times in the last 3 years and that I'm rather desperate for employment.  :laugh:

I never had many interviews.  I stayed with the same company I was working for while in school until I quit to homeschool.  My interviewing skills are severely lacking not to mention that I suspect the way interviews are conducted have changed.  At least listening to my dh and dd, they sound very stressful.

This interview is for an admin position.

I just interviewed and got a job after 17 years out of the workforce. My area is educational, so being a homeschooler helped. Honestly, I would mention it if it comes up naturally. I think you can definitely tie your skills to it and it explains your "2 decades of unpaid work". :lol:

I would definitely NOT mention your DH's work turbulence. People want to hear something positive. Your kids are older and you are ready for a new challenge!

Good luck!

• Like 1

They will likely ask you about your long employment gap, and that would be the appropriate moment to bring up homeschooling. Maybe you can summarize in one or two sentences what the main tasks were: research and select curriculum, organize school year, supervise work, coordinate activities. With clever phrasing you can highlight that this required executive skills that translate into a  work place.

When asked why you are looking for work, I would absolutely not mention DH's situation! They don't want to hire somebody who is desperate for income; they want to hire somebody who wants a new challenge, wants to contribute with her skills to the company/organization, wants to explore new fields.  And because the kids are older, that is now possible.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

They will likely ask you about your long employment gap, and that would be the appropriate moment to bring up homeschooling. Maybe you can summarize in one or two sentences what the main tasks were: research and select curriculum, organize school year, supervise work, coordinate activities. With clever phrasing you can highlight that this required executive skills that translate into a  work place.

When asked why you are looking for work, I would absolutely not mention DH's situation! They don't want to hire somebody who is desperate for income; they want to hire somebody who wants a new challenge, wants to contribute with her skills to the company/organization, wants to explore new fields.  And because the kids are older, that is now possible.

Thank you.  I'd also been wondering how to succinctly sum up what homeschooling included without saying too much.  And yes, I know I need to present a positive attitude about my job search.  My frustration and anger over dh's employment situation got the best of me.

Check out the ebook "Interview Magic."

Perhaps they have some useful tips.

Let me know if you want me to email you the material.

That looks like a great resource.  I found a PDF file I'm looking over.

Thank heavens my first interview is on the phone.  At least I can have my written notes in front of me.

• Like 1

I just want to chime in about Interview Magic. I believe that book gave me the tools to best present myself and be hired for my last three jobs. My last two employers specifically commented that they were impressed by my simple questions at the end of the interview--basic things, "What qualities would your ideal person have to best fit this job?" and, "Can you describe what a typical day might look like for this position?"

I wouldn't necessarily mention homeschooling. Many people have a very uninformed opinion of it, and it wouldn't necessarily make the impression you want to make. I googled the heck out of the persons with whom the interview was scheduled, and that has been helpful on different levels. I would also be sure to mention any relevant computer experience, moderating any type of boards, for example. If you spend loads of time on the computer, you can probably easily learn any software, and I'd mention that. Depending on the position, it might be pertinent that you use an online calendar. Remember to mention any volunteering you've done AND be sure to fit that in with a specific job skill.

In general, present yourself in a way that makes you look like the person they want.

Thanks to some of the things I learned in that book, I just started an awesome new job earlier this week, basically ending my homeschooling years and going back to work full time.  Bittersweet!!

• Like 1

When it's time for me to describe my homeschooling career here's what I will say:

I spent the last X amount of years managing our family. I studied, researched and then applied various learning tools to meet the needs of all my children and their vast learning styles. Managing human resources and personalities were a daily task. I created the family budget, creatively working to stay within those parameters every month.

Then I would try to think of an impressive way to say we never ran out of toilet paper in all my years of family management. :)

Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 1

Have you taught any co-op classes or classes to homeschoolers?  Teaching other people's children is a good one to bring up.  You can even refer to it as "tutoring" if you don't want to mention homeschooling.

I just got two job offers.  I have not worked in almost 11 years.  I had 4 interviews, with 2 offers.  

Here is the bottom line, sometimes it has nothing to do with how you interview or what comes up or doesn't come up during the interview, it has to do with what they happy to need.  There may be something you mention in the interview that you have no idea will be the key to getting the job.

The job I have accepted, I got by interviewing over the phone.  They sill don't know what I look like!  Well, unless they have seen my FB page or something.   

The phone interview that I was dreading and so nervous about landed me the job and after the interview I found I actually preferred the phone interview:

1. I could pace when I got nervous

2.  I could refer to my notes (which I put on a Word Doc before the interview)

3. I could jot down notes while she was talking so that I could refer back to them while I answered the questions

4. I could be casual and not wear a bra if I didn't want to!  ( :lol:   SHHHH!  Don't tell)

Here are my suggestions:

1. Don't mention the desperation for a job.  Just tell them that you stayed home to raise your children and that they are older and you are looking forward to going back to work and face the challenges this job has to offer

2. Find key points that will show them you CAN do the job and are confident about it

3. Mention concepts of homeschooling, particularly if you have taught other people's kids.  You can even attribute some things in there that you did with your own kids (lesson planning, time management) but don't mention, "And with my own kids" just say, "in my years working with tutoring students, I learned......."  Or use verbiage that relates to the job you are applying to.

4. Know the buzz words, interview someone already in the field if you can, or even watch YouTube videos from someone in the field currently.  I watched several.

• Like 1

One common complaint I've heard from employers after giving interviews: lack of enthusiasm from potential employees. I would not be fake, but truly be interested by asking questions about the job, paying attention and responding positively, etc. Jobs and employers tend to show their best side too when interviewing. Be excited and happy to interview for a new potential job, and it can show in your voice too for a phone interview.

And GL!!

Edited by displace
  • Like 2