Menu

Chia seed pudding: net versus total carbs

IfIOnly

I have some thickening in the fridge right now and have never tried the stuff before. After reading how low carb they are and that they make a yummy "keto" dessert and buying the seeds though, I found out the seeds aren't exactly low carb. 12 carbs per two tablespoons, which I'm seeing is the minimum needed to make a half cup of pudding, seems like a lot to me. But the advocates are saying the "net" is much lower carb than that because most of the carbs are fiber. ? I want to make sure this is an okay low carb treat and not just some people's faulty reasoning and exscuse to eat more carbs. Ha! Thoughts?

Also, low carbers, is there a guideline about how much Chia and flax seeds to limit yourself to or are they a free for all?

I know, I know. I need to find a weight loss forum. I'm working on that. ;)

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Yes there is a ton of fiber in them. Most low carbers count the net.

I don't count super high fiber stuff like that. There is only so much of that I can stand to eat honestly. You'll have a lot of rumbly in the tumbly if you go too crazy.

Okay, that's good to know. I hadn't heard of the net carb thing before today! I though about tummy issues being the guide about eating the seeds. HA!

• Like 1

I agree with the above.  Do you measure your blood sugar or ketones?  That would be one way to reassure yourself that the fiber-carbs aren't working against you.

I bought some chia seeds to make chia pudding recently.  It was fairly strange and I didn't like it, ended up throwing out the pudding.  No one else in the family would even try it.  I need to look for other chia seed recipes to try.

I do have a low-carb bread recipe that I found recently that makes the closest thing to real bread that I've had in 2 years. There is just something so satisfying to be able to toast and butter a roll to go along with a meat & veggie meal.  It uses a lot of psyllium husk powder as a central ingredient - lots of carbs but all of them are fiber.  I try to limit myself to one "roll" per day, despite how yummy they are, because of potential digestive issues with all that fiber!  I've yet to have a problem though.

• Like 2

I agree with the above. Do you measure your blood sugar or ketones? That would be one way to reassure yourself that the fiber-carbs aren't working against you.

I bought some chia seeds to make chia pudding recently. It was fairly strange and I didn't like it, ended up throwing out the pudding. No one else in the family would even try it. I need to look for other chia seed recipes to try.

I do have a low-carb bread recipe that I found recently that makes the closest thing to real bread that I've had in 2 years. There is just something so satisfying to be able to toast and butter a roll to go along with a meat & veggie meal. It uses a lot of psyllium husk powder as a central ingredient - lots of carbs but all of them are fiber. I try to limit myself to one "roll" per day, despite how yummy they are, because of potential digestive issues with all that fiber! I've yet to have a problem though.

My pudding was. nasty. I tried but couldn't finish it. I'm not feeling any love to try another recipe.

I'm not sure I'll be doing any tracking. I will keep that in mind though if I'm not seeing results with being more relaxed.

Would you share your bread recipe? I would love to try it!

Thank you for taking the time to share!

• Like 1

I agree with the above.  Do you measure your blood sugar or ketones?  That would be one way to reassure yourself that the fiber-carbs aren't working against you.

I bought some chia seeds to make chia pudding recently.  It was fairly strange and I didn't like it, ended up throwing out the pudding.  No one else in the family would even try it.  I need to look for other chia seed recipes to try.

I do have a low-carb bread recipe that I found recently that makes the closest thing to real bread that I've had in 2 years. There is just something so satisfying to be able to toast and butter a roll to go along with a meat & veggie meal.  It uses a lot of psyllium husk powder as a central ingredient - lots of carbs but all of them are fiber.  I try to limit myself to one "roll" per day, despite how yummy they are, because of potential digestive issues with all that fiber!  I've yet to have a problem though.

Please share the recipe!

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

You know, guys, if you gradually up your fiber intake you (probably) won't have these "tummy troubles". Slow and steady, though.

I haven't found that to be true.  Sometimes I seem to fall into this pattern of eating tons and tons and tons of fibrous foods.  This usually happens when I want to experiment with new low carb recipes other than anything that involves meat or veg.  The only way to make a lot of that stuff is to use super high fiber ingredients.  And then there is the issue of the sugar alcohols which also can cause rumbly in the tumbly.

• Like 2

You know, guys, if you gradually up your fiber intake you (probably) won't have these "tummy troubles". Slow and steady, though.

For me, it's not the fiber that's in normally eaten vegetables or fruits. It's the OMG here's 25 grams of straight up non-digestible roughage crammed in a serving of "bread" to try to make it "low carb." I imagine eating cardboard would have the same effect. And taste. 

• Like 2

For me, it's not the fiber that's in normally eaten vegetables or fruits. It's the OMG here's 25 grams of straight up non-digestible roughage crammed in a serving of "bread" to try to make it "low carb." I imagine eating cardboard would have the same effect. And taste. 

YES!  I had the same thought about cardboard.

Dreamfields...another poison.  LOL

• Like 1

Would you share your bread recipe? I would love to try it!

Thank you for taking the time to share!

Sorry you didn't like the pudding but I'm not too surprised. I didn't finish mine either. 

Please share the recipe!

Here's the link to the low carb bread recipe:  http://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-low-carb-bread

It's a little tricky to get it to come out right, without large air pockets.  I've had it come out perfectly twice and with large air pockets twice. Stir all the dry ingredients together first. Stir the apple cider vinegar into the boiling water.  Slide the egg whites into the dry ingredients and then add the water/vinegar. Stir less than you think you should with a fork.  If you stir thoroughly, you'll get large air pockets. I also leave out the salt as it is just too salty for me otherwise.

If you've had real wheat bread recently, I don't think this bread will satisfy you.  However, if you've been away from bread for a long time like me, it really hits the spot. I'm most impressed with the texture. If you've tried other low carb bread recipes, you'll know what I mean.  Some of them are tasty but just can't get close to real bread texture.  Anyway, these rolls toast well and freeze well. Cover the slightly odd taste with lots of butter, cheese, or other toppings.  :drool5:

Good luck.

• Like 2

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/flaxmeal_cinnamon_muffins.html

I make that one, but use a muffin top pan instead.  You can sub out the syrup for any sugar free product you want (powdered or liquid).  I've even done it with sugar free pancake syrup which of all those things is the easiest to find in a regular store.  You don't need that much sweetener if you use any sort of condensed product.  If you use Splenda then yeah use the 1/4th cup (or adjust to your taste).  Also adjust the time if you do them in a muffin top pan.  They take less time. 

• Like 1

Can I 'fess to actually liking chia pudding?  But then I also like tapioca pudding, it's in the same vein, no?

I make mine with coconut milk, vanilla extract, and a bit of stevia (the recipe calls for agave or honey, but I like stevia).  Sometimes I add unsweetened cocoa powder.  I had some the other day other day at a restaurant that was mad with almond milk and topped with pomegranate seeds.

• Like 5

Can I 'fess to actually liking chia pudding? But then I also like tapioca pudding, it's in the same vein, no?

I make mine with coconut milk, vanilla extract, and a bit of stevia (the recipe calls for agave or honey, but I like stevia). Sometimes I add unsweetened cocoa powder. I had some the other day other day at a restaurant that was mad with almond milk and topped with pomegranate seeds.

I really like tapioca, not so much chia. I think if I could have it sweet and with sugar (rather than nonsugar options that usually taste weird if you add too much) it would be better. The seeds are bitter and strongly flavored compared to tapioca IMO. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I really like tapioca, not so much chia. I think if I could have it sweet and with sugar (rather than nonsugar options that usually taste weird if you add too much) it would be better. The seeds are bitter and strongly flavored compared to tapioca IMO.

Hm. I haven't noticed any strong flavor. Do you like stevia? I know some people don't. I'm guessing you're also trying to avoid alternative natural sweeteners like agave? Oh, and I think the vanilla extract helps a lot. That helps cut down on the amount of sweetener you need.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

But then I also like tapioca pudding, it's in the same vein, no?

It is if you don't grind the seeds.

Anybody who wants to use up chia seeds, thanks to a post made here a while back I bought a ton (seriously) and have discovered something amazing about them: those things work *great* for holding meatballs and hamburger patties together. (And meatloaf, and potato pancakes, and fish balls....)

But I don't think chia seeds taste like much.

• Like 2

Anybody who wants to use up chia seeds, thanks to a post made here a while back I bought a ton (seriously) and have discovered something amazing about them: those things work *great* for holding meatballs and hamburger patties together. (And meatloaf, and potato pancakes, and fish balls....)

Hey that is a cool tip!

A lot of low carbers avoid stuff like breadcrumbs so that would be a good alternative in a meatloaf. 

• Like 2

Hm. I haven't noticed any strong flavor. Do you like stevia? I know some people don't. I'm guessing you're also trying to avoid alternative natural sweeteners like agave? Oh, and I think the vanilla extract helps a lot. That helps cut down on the amount of sweetener you need.

Ugh that stuff is so so bitter to me.

What about Xylitol?  I know people have mixed feelings towards that, but it is just a sugar alcohol right?

• Like 1

I'm coming to the conclusion that stevia must be something like cilantro, in that it tastes good to many/most people, but for some people with different taste genes, it tastes yucky (bitter for stevia, like soap for cilantro).  

I'm just glad it tastes good for me, because I really don't like the artificial stuff.

• Like 1

Can I 'fess to actually liking chia pudding?  But then I also like tapioca pudding, it's in the same vein, no?

I make mine with coconut milk, vanilla extract, and a bit of stevia (the recipe calls for agave or honey, but I like stevia).  Sometimes I add unsweetened cocoa powder.  I had some the other day other day at a restaurant that was mad with almond milk and topped with pomegranate seeds.

I love chia pudding too!  In fact, our whole family devours it whenever I make it.  I make it with at least half coconut milk (the other half is usually regular milk, or sometimes almond milk), and flavor it with a little vanilla extract and maple syrup.  We like to add blueberries right before eating it.  

• Like 1

I don't like refined stevia much. I do like the taste of the ground up leaf (green) powder and use that to make a lemonade type sports drink. I'm drinking about 2 quarts of this a day and only put about an 1/8 tsp. stevia in.

I did put vanilla in my batch of chia pudding!

I was at a birthday party today and asked my friends about their chia pudding experiences. Two had tried it: one did not like it at all and the other tried several recipes and only has found one they like and continue to make. It was a strawberry one. I know they use honey though and think being able to use honey or maple syrup might make the difference in me liking it. 

Oh, thank you! I bought a mine from Costco. It's huge! Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I usually use ground flax to bind stuff, but chia might work, especially if I don't have to grind it up. Do you use them whole? Do you add them with water to gel first like the flax egg substitute?

Hey that is a cool tip!

A lot of low carbers avoid stuff like breadcrumbs so that would be a good alternative in a meatloaf. 

Seriously cool!

What about Xylitol?  I know people have mixed feelings towards that, but it is just a sugar alcohol right?

It's bitter to me too. Xylitol is what I tried as a sweetener with the pudding. Just wasn't a good combo for me. Xylitol is a clean, not too sweet taste. I don't usually add to much. It's okay for somethings but doesn't compare to honey or maple syrup but is low carb. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that stevia must be something like cilantro, in that it tastes good to many/most people, but for some people with different taste genes, it tastes yucky (bitter for stevia, like soap for cilantro).  

I'm just glad it tastes good for me, because I really don't like the artificial stuff.

Hm, maybe. I love cilantro though. I eat so much of that stuff.

I love chia pudding too!  In fact, our whole family devours it whenever I make it.  I make it with at least half coconut milk (the other half is usually regular milk, or sometimes almond milk), and flavor it with a little vanilla extract and maple syrup.  We like to add blueberries right before eating it.  

I could def. see how maple syrup would make it better. Mmm. 

Do you use them whole? Do you add them with water to gel first like the flax egg substitute?

I use them whole, because I'm lazy that way :) but you can definitely grind them if you prefer.

And no, I don't add water. I just toss them in with my stuff and let it sit 5  before cooking. I suspect that if I grind it, the waiting time could be cut down to, like, one minute, but I haven't tried that.

• Like 1

I don't like refined stevia much. I do like the taste of the ground up leaf (green) powder and use that to make a lemonade type sports drink. I'm drinking about 2 quarts of this a day and only put about an 1/8 tsp. stevia in.

Stevia is much, much sweeter than sugar.  My favorite brand is SweetLeaf; I use the liquids (there's a chocolate flavor liquid stevia - wonder if you could use that to add some chocolate flavor to pudding, or enhance unsweetened cocoa...?), or the stevia tabs - like little pills that dissolve in hot drinks.

That Truvia cr*p is an abomination...

• Like 1

I also love chia pudding, but since we don't follow low-carb, I am free to add maple syrup. I use unsweetened almond milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. My kids will eat a TON of it, although one child started calling it "fairy eyeball food" which made me  :crying:

• Like 1

Stevia is much, much sweeter than sugar. My favorite brand is SweetLeaf; I use the liquids (there's a chocolate flavor liquid stevia - wonder if you could use that to add some chocolate flavor to pudding, or enhance unsweetened cocoa...?), or the stevia tabs - like little pills that dissolve in hot drinks.

That Truvia cr*p is an abomination...

Haha! Trivia is just nasty. I'm going to pick up some of the SweetLeaf brand to try. You had me at chocolate flavored. Ha! :) Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

• 2 weeks later...

Matryoshka, thanks so much for the Sweet Leaf chocolate stevia rec! It's good in my coffee. I'd really like to try to make some low carb desserts and the stevia gives me hope. :) Have you tried the vanilla and lemon? I imagine some dried coconut, coconut oil, and lemon stevia yummy ball concoction. The vanilla sounded good in coffees too but the vanilla "creme" description gave me pause.

Matryoshka, thanks so much for the Sweet Leaf chocolate stevia rec! It's good in my coffee. I'd really like to try to make some low carb desserts and the stevia gives me hope. :) Have you tried the vanilla and lemon? I imagine some dried coconut, coconut oil, and lemon stevia yummy ball concoction. The vanilla sounded good in coffees too but the vanilla "creme" description gave me pause.

The vanilla's okay in coffee, but I'll admit to being more of a chocolate fan. I also get th chocolate raspberry flavor, which I use in plain yogurt. For the chia pudding, I use plain stevia and add real vanilla extract.

I found these for the best prices at Vitacost, btw. Which reminds me, I have to place an order - for the chocolate stevia and those unsweetened carob chips from another thread... :)

• Like 1

The vanilla's okay in coffee, but I'll admit to being more of a chocolate fan. I also get th chocolate raspberry flavor, which I use in plain yogurt. For the chia pudding, I use plain stevia and add real vanilla extract.

I found these for the best prices at Vitacost, btw. Which reminds me, I have to place an order - for the chocolate stevia and those unsweetened carob chips from another thread... :)

I missed that thread. Will look for those chips. I usually do iherb because it's on the west coast and prices and inventory are similar though I have been happy with vitacost when ordering from them. Thanks again!