ideas for marine biology/oceanography field trips

Take a beach walk at low tide

Go to an aquarium

Go whale watching

Tour a fishing boat

Visit a fish ladder

Visit a fish hatchery

Walk along a spawning stream

Walking on the beach at low tide is a good one!

Aquarium and whale watching are definitely on our list.

Maybe we'll have to do a fishing trip... hadn't thought of that one.

We have a hatchery nearby... so that one is easy, but what is a fish ladder?

I'll have to do some research to find a spawning stream.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

How about a trip to an I-Max theater showing an ocean documentary?

Not a field trip, but ways to expand your studies at home:

Fieldwork: Science in Its Natural State -- blog with an assortment of "fieldwork" ideas on oceanography/marine biology -- some could be field trips

How to Be an Ocean Scientist in Your Own Home -- great activities/labs in this oldie-but-goodie book by Seymour Simon

marine biology dissection lab -- depending on how your family feels about dissection

Blue Planet: Ocean -- gorgeous documentary series on the oceans and ocean life

Marine Biology website -- lots of info and resources

Can you share your state or provence or area so we can help you also look for opportunities in your area? For example, Marine Lab is in Key Largo FL and National Martine Institute's educational programs are in Pompano Beach FL, Catalina Island off the coast of Southern CA has overnight marine biology trips, while the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology also has educational field trips and programs.

Check out your local university for summer programs or during-the-year school field trips on marine biology -- we live a full day's drive from the nearest ocean, and our local university offers some great elementary and middle school aged marine biology field trip programs. (You may need to team up with a few more homeschool families to get enough students to meet a possible minimum student head count.)

See these past threads for more ideas:

"Field trip/vacation ideas for marine biology study" -- field trip ideas

"Oceanography resources" -- mostly at-home ideas

ETA:

A fish ladder looks like a series of broad steps/stairs that runs alongside a dam so the fish can swim upstream to spawn and bypasses the dam.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Walking on the beach at low tide is a good one!

Aquarium and whale watching are definitely on our list.

Maybe we'll have to do a fishing trip... hadn't thought of that one.

We have a hatchery nearby... so that one is easy, but what is a fish ladder?

I'll have to do some research to find a spawning stream.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

A fish ladder is a man-made bypass for fish to get from one body of water to another (for example, if there was something like a dam put in the way, or if a stream was blocked off somehow).  That way the fish can get back upstream to spawn in the stream where they were born. 

Maybe try googling spawning stream for your area?  Around here it's typically a stream that empties into a lake or a body of salt water.  Or maybe different in other parts of the country.  Or maybe not all fish do this?

• Like 3

There is a book of nature and environmental centers in the state of Texas. There are quite a few centers along the coastline. Book lists hours and programs, gives brief overview of focus of center. I am hoping to use the book to plan some biology field trips during high school years.

We have enjoyed beach vacations to Tybee Island, a barrier island off Savannah coast, and San Diego. Both were highly educational. I easily found books on both areas. We visited tide pools in two area in San Diego - just 30 or so miles apart - and was very surprised at how different they were.

If I were really dreaming big, I would visit Australia or Galapagos Islands.

I just read a travel piece about the Grand Cayman Islands. It said they have a large educational tour center where you can plan daily educational outings. I haven't researched yet, but am intrigued by that.

• Like 1

I had forgotten about some of the things you all mentioned... thank you so much for calling my attention!

I decided to forgo the Apologia because of references to Young Earth that run counter to our family's beliefs... even though I love the way it's organized...

I found these!

http://www2.vims.edu/bridge/search/faq.cfm -- Bridge, "an ocean of free marine education resources"

http://nosb.org/ - National Ocean Sciences Bowl

http://www.us-satellite.net/marinescience/ - NASA/NOAA Marine Science Education

Now I just have to plan this all out (which was what I was hoping to avoid...).  Maybe I should have the girl help me "write" the schedule/plan the resources and field trips for the year... I think that'd be educational, in and of itself.  Plus, it would beef up her feeling of ownership... Hmmm...

There is a fish ladder at the Locks in Seattle.  It is super cool to tour the facility and see the fish swimming the ladder!

eta:  They are called the Ballard or the Chittenden Locks.  If you go, do the physical walking tour -- you get to see more than if you do any of the boat tours.

Edited by amsunshinetemp