Menu

I'm revamping science at our house. DS #1 wants to do some oceanography, particularly deep ocean stuff. So I'm helping him to design an independent study project.

I'm thinking of using the Blue Planet videos (one episode per week) with related reading and research online.

I found some cool education resources on the NOAA website.

I'll try to add more links as we run into them.

I will be watching this thread with interest. We are doing oceanography this summer(and if I can save up heading to the ocean to wrap it all up at the end). We are using Apologia's zoology 2 (swimming creatures) and Great Science Adventures Discovering the Ocean. I am on the the lookout for dvd's and websites to supplement/enhance what we are doing so will be checking this thread often for ideas.

There is also this blog from 2009-10 about a long oceanography study. I think that the family's plans changed before they got to the end of the project, but it still has some interesting ideas.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

jason.org

They have really cool stuff. In my area they also come to the local college and do 2 day programs for the kids. This year the topic is......well, I don't remember, it was volcanoes. But they have all the past years materials up and they had oceanography just 2 years ago. They also have a section they keep active and updated with real oceanographers via journals, blogs, live feeds, webinars, etc.

We've been reading/listening to many classic books about the ocean. My kids are 3rd/4th grade and enjoyed Holing C Holing books, "Moby Dick", "20,000 Leagues under the sea", "Robinson Crusoe", Burgess "Seashore" book, and a few others. I've heard that "Island of the Blue Dophin" is a good to read and more.

Some of the GEMS guides look great for this topic too!

I used the Gems Ocean Currents guide with a group of 6th graders.

ocean.jpg

The experiments are clearly laid out and use accessible materials. This can be supplemented with things like the books that Turnstone Publishing produced with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Titles include The Mysterious Ocean Highway: Benjamin Franklin and the Gulf Stream, Down to a Sunless Sea, etc. They are out of print (I think) but your library may have them.

Enjoy!

I'm revamping science at our house. DS #1 wants to do some oceanography, particularly deep ocean stuff. So I'm helping him to design an independent study project.

I'm thinking of using the Blue Planet videos (one episode per week) with related reading and research online.

I found some cool education resources on the NOAA website.

NOAA Kids' Links (including The Kids' Times, articles on turtles and whales)

NOAA Teacher Lesson Plans

Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale Sanctuary

Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Marine Sanctuary

Other NOAA Marine Sanctuaries

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Science 101: Ocean Science

This book has 12 chapters (around 15 pages per chapter). Nice format that is text heavy with a lot of pictures, yet not so frentic as a DK book.

I think I'll be assigning two chapters per week. Between that, the movie watching and the research topic per week, I think we're set. I'm enjoying this and I think the kids are having a good time.

Field trips toward the end will include the National Aquarium in Baltimore and maybe the beach itself. Oh, and definitely a sushi lunch to celebrate being done.

I don't have anything to add but wanted to say thank you for this thread! It has come at a perfect time. Dd12 spent a week in FL with her aunt and got to go to an aquarium in Clearwater (I think) where she got to interact with a dolphin named Winter. She lost her tail and uses a prosthetic tail occasionally. The trainer talked to dd about Oceanography and Marine Biology and now dd is enamoured with learning all she can about the subjects. If I come across any good resources I'll add them here. Thank you!

I picked this up today and think it would make a great addition to a marine biology/oceanography study.

Marine Biology Coloring Book

Cool. I have a sister book that is just biology. I should probably check and see if it has anything ocean related.

Though all of my kids are such non colorers that I gave away or Paperback Swaped about all of our coloring books before we left Japan.

• 1 month later...

My rising 9th grader has wanted to study swimming creatures since 5th grade. Prayerfully found this:

Mr. Rainbeau's A.P. Biology & Marine Biology Web Portal

http://www.brainbeau.com

http://www.brainbeau.com/index.php/89-marine-biology/marine-biology-course-information/27-marine-biology-course-syllabus

Complete Marine Biology course with texts, quizzes, tests, coursework, etc. I even contacted Mr. Rainbeau (what a cool name =) and he is more than happy to answer questions and provide assistance.

Excited about this find,

Teresa

\o/