Menu

Score on textbook rental

Matryoshka

Dd's history textbook for her fall CC class is stunningly expensive.  Over $200 new from the CC bookstore, almost as much on Amazon.  I often get good deals used on Amazon, but this time even the cheapest 'acceptable' used copy on Amazon was over $100.  Renting it used  from the CC bookstore was almost $100.

Yipes.  But renting it from Amazon was only TWELVE dollars.  It didn't say if it was new or used rented, but at this point I'm not sure I care that much.  I've heard rumor this prof barely uses the text (another reason why paying $$$ for the book was especially irksome).  I've never seen such a huge disparity.  Goody, I'll take it. :)

• Like 4

Dd's history textbook for her fall CC class is stunningly expensive.  Over $200 new from the CC bookstore, almost as much on Amazon.  I often get good deals used on Amazon, but this time even the cheapest 'acceptable' used copy on Amazon was over $100.  Renting it used  from the CC bookstore was almost $100.

Yipes.  But renting it from Amazon was only TWELVE dollars.  It didn't say if it was new or used rented, but at this point I'm not sure I care that much.  I've heard rumor this prof barely uses the text (another reason why paying $$$ for the book was especially irksome).  I've never seen such a huge disparity.  Goody, I'll take it. :)

Be careful of the return date. Right now, Amazon's rentals are running with a default return date in August. I saw a similar deal on ds's most expensive book for fall, then realized it was too soon for that rental period.

• Like 3

Be careful of the return date. Right now, Amazon's rentals are running with a default return date in August. I saw a similar deal on ds's most expensive book for fall, then realized it was too soon for that rental period.

I checked, the due date is December 19. That might be a couple of days before finals end, but even if I have to pay for a 15-day extension, that's still less than $10 more, so yay. :)

• Like 2

My ds rented a history textbook through Amazon Spring semester for $13. The book was in great condition.

I'm renting his statistics book for Fall semester. It's $13 too. I'm just wondering how long to wait to get it. If I get it today, the due date is Dec. 18th and his last day of finals is the 16th. I'd feel more comfortable if the due date was the next week. I don't know how the due date is determined. Is it based on when you get it? In other words, if I wait another week, will the due date get pushed back past the 18th?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread!  I am about to rent a textbook from Amazon for DS18 which is $80 for a used rental at the bookstore.  International version was $45.  Amazon is $14 for a rental.

Return date is December 17, which is only one day after finals end.  I guess we can manage that.

I've looked at Amazon's FAQ and cannot find an answer to this question:  Is the return deadline the date when the book is SHIPPED or is it when Amazon receives it?  I assume it is the ship date.

Finally, any bad experiences with Amazon textbook rentals?  TIA!

ETA:  I just rented two textbooks from Amazon and I wanted to point out the following to others:  There is a SPECIAL clause that applies if Amazon rents you the textbook from "Warehouse Deals, Inc." (which you do not discover until checkout):

Rentals by Warehouse Deals, Inc.

When you rent a textbook through Amazon.com from Warehouse Deals, Inc. (specified on the checkout page and Your Textbook Rentals , the following additional terms and conditions apply:

You may not move the textbook out of the state to which it was originally shipped. If you wish to move the textbook out of that state, you must first purchase the textbook. You can purchase the textbook by going to Your Textbook Rentals to view your rental library. Select the textbook you wish to purchase and then proceed through the checkout process. You may also contact us to purchase the textbook. When you purchase the textbook, we will charge you the buyout price of the textbook, and the textbook will be yours to keep.

If we determine that at any time during the rental period you have moved a textbook rented from Warehouse Deals, Inc. out of the state to which it was originally shipped, we may in our sole discretion charge you the buyout price of the textbook and transfer title to the textbook to you, retroactive to the date you moved the textbook out of that state. In such case, the textbook will be yours to keep.

In other words, keep it in the state where you rented it or you just bought it.  Rather strange, IMO.

Edited by RegGuheert

We've had nothing but positive experiences with Amazon rentals. 

Yesterday we started looking at DS's books, and we may get off lighter this round. I found a used copy of the economics book for $15, and he needs an access code for math ($130). Two are using instructor-provided, online materials. The fifth one is the unknown. A book is listed, but just a title, no ISBN. 

• Like 1

I just received a rental textbook from Amazon: the very large and heavy Campbell's Biology.  The pages are totally clean: no highlighting or other marks inside.  However, there is a sizable tear at the top of the binding.  I imagine someone was careless in carrying the book by the binding and the weight of the book caused it to tear.  

So I'm not sure if I should report the damage, ignore it since the pages are clean, return it an take a chance that a replacement book will have marks inside.  WWYD?

Thanks!  

• Like 1

I just received a rental textbook from Amazon: the very large and heavy Campbell's Biology.  The pages are totally clean: no highlighting or other marks inside.  However, there is a sizable tear at the top of the binding.  I imagine someone was careless in carrying the book by the binding and the weight of the book caused it to tear.  

So I'm not sure if I should report the damage, ignore it since the pages are clean, return it an take a chance that a replacement book will have marks inside.  WWYD?

Thanks!  

absolutely report the damage and get an acknowledgement

• Like 1

After seeing your post I went out on the porch to see if the two books we rented had arrived.  They had.  The hardback (not large and heavy) appears to be in pretty good shape.  The paperback is well-worn, but certainly serviceable.  The issue with the paperback is that it is FULL of highlighting.  I think this is beyond what they deem to be acceptable.

I'm off to learn how to communicate this back to Amazon...

ETA: O.K. Amazon does NOT have a way to say "this book is in such-and-such condition upon receipt" (like a car rental company does, for instance).  As a result, I will probably just return it and rent another one.

Am I missing something?

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 1

It looks like I ought to return my textbook and give it another try.  From Amazon's Textbook Rental FAQ

What does acceptable rental condition mean?
Acceptable rental condition means:

No water damage (wavy, swollen or discolored, crinkled, stains, rings),
No broken spine or binding,
Cover is not torn or taped,
No missing, torn, or loose pages,
No burns, fire, or smoke damage,
No odor of any kind (including musty odor, cigar or cigarette odor),
No excessive writing or highlighting.

Success!  I filled out the online form to return a product indicating that the binding was torn.  They have provided a free shipping label to return this book.  Then I ordered another copy of the book for rental.  It arrived, and while the cover is a bit scuffed and there are very small tears in the cover, the pages are clean and it's otherwise in good condition.  I'm using this box to return my other damaged book.  

Lesson learned:  if your rental does not meet the "acceptable rental condition" standards indicated above, return it and try again.  

• Like 1

Another happy Amazon textbook rental customer!  Just received two rental textbooks that would have cost $455 new from the college bookstore (~$330 used).  They offer pennies on the dollar (no joke!) to sell them back at the end of the semester.  Together, including shipping, were $55 to rent for the semester.  I ordered on Saturday afternoon and received one on Monday (!) and the second on Tuesday.  I do not have Prime or pay for premium shipping.

Hopefully, that will reduce the sting of paying for the custom textbooks and required online code bundles for the rest of the courses. *sigh*

• Like 1

Hopefully, that will reduce the sting of paying for the custom textbooks and required online code bundles for the rest of the courses. *sigh*

Yes, DS has two classes with custom bundles. One is $350, and I'm waiting to buy that until we hear for sure from the professor. No rentals, and not available used. The other is $200, but the class doesn't have enough students right now, so I'm waiting to buy that. If that class doesn't make by mid-August, the other one he could take as an elective has a book that is available NEW on Amazon for $20, or used for much less. That one starts in mid-September, so we'd have plenty of time to buy used and pay probably $6-8. 

What a range!!!

Success!  I filled out the online form to return a product indicating that the binding was torn.  They have provided a free shipping label to return this book.  Then I ordered another copy of the book for rental.  It arrived, and while the cover is a bit scuffed and there are very small tears in the cover, the pages are clean and it's otherwise in good condition.  I'm using this box to return my other damaged book.  

Lesson learned:  if your rental does not meet the "acceptable rental condition" standards indicated above, return it and try again.  

Thanks for being the guinea pig!  Based on your experience, I got online and rented another copy of the textbook with the excessive highlighting.  What's funny is the the new one is priced at only $19.99 (versus $26.49 before) and the return date is December 19 (versus December 17).  Hopefully it's not in WORSE shape!  :tongue_smilie:

Now I'm off to drop the other one at UPS...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread as we are planning to return these textbooks...

We looked at DS18's finals schedule and, unfortunately, the one textbook which is due on Saturday, December 17, is for a course which has a final on Friday, December 16. The rentals are in our (not DS18s) Amazon account, so they need to be returned through our account. Can we just do this on Saturday and have it work out, or will we be too late?

Fortunately, the other two books are not due until the following Monday.

We are hoping to make future rentals directly from DS18s account now that he FINALLY has his own checking account. He still needs to get his check card...

Reviving this thread as we are planning to return these textbooks...

We looked at DS18's finals schedule and, unfortunately, the one textbook which is due on Saturday, December 17, is for a course which has a final on Friday, December 16. The rentals are in our (not DS18s) Amazon account, so they need to be returned through our account. Can we just do this on Saturday and have it work out, or will we be too late?

Fortunately, the other two books are not due until the following Monday.

We are hoping to make future rentals directly from DS18s account now that he FINALLY has his own checking account. He still needs to get his check card...

I'm pretty sure when I read the fine print at rental time, that the due date is the day you postmark it by, not the date they have to receive it by... but double-check in case I'm wrong!  

So if it is postmark date, I should think you can send it back on the 17th and be fine.

I just have my kids share my Amazon account.  They have not abused it (and I'd be able to see easily if they did because there's an order history...).  Another upside of this is that I can theoretically share their Amazon Prime streaming (although honestly I don't think I ever have - I forget I have it, and just stick to Netflix...)

• Like 1