Menu

Holy hell...state farm

SparklyUnicorn

I got a bill today.  The usual amount for the month is $76.  I cancelled the policy 4 days after the month was up because ya know I didn't have the new insurance cards in hand and bought new insurance.  So the bill is $115.06 for that final period of time.  So basically 4 days of coverage is $39 ish?  How?!

This just will not freaking go away will it?!

• Like 1

Well, if you already have other insurance, just don't pay state farm. What are they gonna do? Cancel your insurance? Lol.

And don't you pay a for the month ahead anyway? So why would they be charging you for the past month plus the part of the new one??

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 1

Well, if you already have other insurance, just don't pay state farm. What are they gonna do? Cancel your insurance? Lol.

They take it automatically out of my bank account. 

I'm not sure I can stop it other than closing my account.  It's tempting.  I will pay them for what I used, but I don't think four days of insurance costs $39.  Plus this is their damn fault I don't think they should even charge me for those four days.  As far as I knew I didn't have coverage.

I e-mailed them. 

• Like 2

If you cancel insurance partway through the term, there's usually a cancellation fee. It's a certain percentage of your premium; the earlier in to your term you cancel, the higher the fee.

Yeah they can suck it because I didn't cancel partway during a term.  They didn't send me the new documents.  I had no proof I had insurance.

It sounds like you have/had a terrible agent.    We've had State Farm for 21 years and my husband had it before we were married, and never a problem.  Of course I think we've only had one claim in that time, lol.  But we've made changes, added and deleted cars, changed life insurance, etc etc.  One time I did get a cancellation notice for a policy because the payment arrived the day after the due date.  It was to tell me it would be cancelled within something like 15 days if I didn't pay - they hadn't already cancelled it.   I called the agent (I get panicky about insurance coverage) and she checked it out, said the payment had been recorded after the notice went out, no problems.

So, I would take it up the chain above your agent. 

• Like 3

Yeah they can suck it because I didn't cancel partway during a term.  They didn't send me the new documents.  I had no proof I had insurance.

In that case I think you definitely have a case to tell them to stuff it. (But nicely. ;) ) Tell them "I didn't cancel because I didn't receive any documents, so I wasn't aware that it had automatically renewed. I had found new insurance by the time you issued me these charges." They should be especially willing to comply if you can show them your new policy, dated back to the same date when you thought your old policy was over. You'll have to stick up for yourself about it, but I get the impression that wouldn't be a problem for you right now, lol.

• Like 2

I reported them to the state.  They cancelled my insurance and never told me.  They are not allowed to do that without notifying DMV and me.  And I would have had my arse dragged through glass if I didn't replace the coverage immediately.  So poof...they just did it. 

This was all done "accidentally" by them according to my agent. 

• Like 2

I reported them to the state.  They cancelled my insurance and never told me.  They are not allowed to do that without notifying DMV and me.  And I would have had my arse dragged through glass if I didn't replace the coverage immediately.  So poof...they just did it. 

This was all done "accidentally" by them according to my agent. 

Then absolutely don't pay them anything. Call them and work your way up the supervisor chain until someone makes it go away.

• Like 1

Call your bank.  Explain that you want to refuse an auto-pay because you suspect some sort of fraud is going on.  Explain the whole situation, how the cards were expired and you never got a cancellation OR a renewal notice so you went with another company and cancelled state farm.  Banks understand enough about financial regulations they may be able to pre-emptively cancel the charge (especially if it's a credit union), OR help you open a different account.

• Like 2

Call your bank.  Explain that you want to refuse an auto-pay because you suspect some sort of fraud is going on.  Explain the whole situation, how the cards were expired and you never got a cancellation OR a renewal notice so you went with another company and cancelled state farm.  Banks understand enough about financial regulations they may be able to pre-emptively cancel the charge (especially if it's a credit union), OR help you open a different account.

Yeah they won't do that.  BTDT

I'm sorry you have had such a mess.

Several years ago, there was a house nearby that had some sort of catastrophic damage to one side. I think a car ran off the road and plowed the side of the house (it sits close to the road). Well, it sat unrepaired for a shockingly long time. At some point, I suppose this was the homeowner's doing, but there appeared a giant "STATE FARM!!!" spray-painted in red on the side of the house. I always figured the homeowners were fed up with their insurance company and that was the story behind the spray-paint.

• Like 1

Complain and demand reimbursement if it's been taken automatically from your account. They have messed up so badly that they will have to refund your money. Mention a pending BBB complaint about their mistakes and how much money it has cost you. You'll get refunded but it'll take 8 weeks b/c they are obviously not efficient with bookkeeping and administrative problems.