Menu

We have fleas in our house

scbusf

Because I need something else to do in addition to cooking all the meat in our deep freezer that died today, we apparently have fleas. We have 2 cats. They don't currently use any Frontline or anything like that. First thing tomorrow, I will be getting whatever Petsmart has!!!

Give me the lowdown on what worked for you to get rid of the fleas. I know it could be a long process.

Yup. Get stuff from the vet for your cats.

For your house, get fresh vacuum bags and laundry detergent. You will want to vacuum lots and you need to throw the bag out each time. Wash anything you can put in the wash.

Vacuum thoroughly and frequently, using the crevice attachment and cleaning in all edges of floor/ wall and furniture.

• Like 1

Because I need something else to do in addition to cooking all the meat in our deep freezer that died today, we apparently have fleas. We have 2 cats. They don't currently use any Frontline or anything like that. First thing tomorrow, I will be getting whatever Petsmart has!!!

Give me the lowdown on what worked for you to get rid of the fleas. I know it could be a long process.

1. Do not waste your time with stuff with Petsmart.  Get whatever the latest flea product is from your vet.  

2. Educate yourself as to the life cycle of the flea.  It will help considerably with nipping this infestation in the bud.

3. In accordance with (2), vacuum everything.  Then do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and so on until at least several days after you see no fleas.  You need to vacuum up everything so it doesn't hatch later on.  And to make it extra-fun, the heat and vibrations from the vacuuming will actually make more fleas hatch, so you might end up with more fleas after you vacuum than before.  Don't get discouraged, just keep at it, obsessively vacuuming absolutely everything over and over again.

4) Don't let your cats outside while you combat this; they'll just bring in more fleas.

This site has some excellent information. We have found that by being diligent about washing and vacuuming, and also treating the pet, we were able to get everything back to normal in a few days.

• Like 2

Your vet can give your cats a flea shot that lasts for 6 months. Get a good carped/upholstery spray that is designed to break the life cycle of the flea. I use Adams Plus Flea & Tick Carpet Spray. You can get it from Amazon. You'll need to spray everything once, then vacuum at least twice a day for a few weeks. You'll notice the fleas start to get smaller. Make sure you put the vacuum cleaner bag in a ziploc bag after you vacuum or the fleas you vacuumed up will crawl out back into your house.

You can't get rid of fleas overnight. Just be patient and persistent. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bathing with blue Dawn dish soap, warm water, and a flea comb. We got rid of them but it took a couple of weeks. I couldn't use the vet's medicine because we had 4 (SPCA foster) kittens and the medicine made them ill.

I also found it very helpful to get a flea collar and cut it into small strips. I put them near doors, beds, furniture and it helped keep the fleas isolated on just the kittens so that we could wash and comb the remaining fleas away.

Edited by Sue in TX

Some good ideas here. Also....

- A shallow container, like tupperware, a few drops of Dawn and a little water.  Set them under a small lamp on the floor at night or under a night light.  They are attracted to the heat and fall into the soap and can't get out.  We keep a few out during the day too, so we can drop any found fleas into there and kill them.

- If your vac has bags, put a small piece of flea collar in, it will kill them in the bag. 

- Salt your floors.  Leave it for a couple of days.  Vac, repeat.  Works better the lower the humidity is, but it makes a difference. If your air is dry, you can also use food grade Diametrious Earth or Borax. 

-Dawn as bath soap for the cat is good, throw a cup of vinegar in there too. 

-A dandruff shampoo for the people in the house will help keep the fleas off your hair.

-If your vac has filters instead of bags, wash daily or at least keep the filter parts outside when not using. 

-I think applying tea tree oil to the filter is supposed to help too.

- Fleas can't survive over 95 degrees, so if you can find a super hot dryer or bag stuff up and leave it in the car in the sun for a few hours

-Water, they don't swim, so you can also bring stuff out and hose it off and let it dry in sun.

Spray or have someone come in and do it. That's what I ended up doing after having them for a month and despite my best efforts and a boatload of laundry not being able to get rid of them! I told DH if he ever brings them home again I will not be happy! (He picked them up at an empty rental he manages and brought them home.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It boggles my mind how people can be sucked in by advertising to spend $$$ on extremely toxic remedies that most often do not work and are a huge PITA to implement . . . When for a modest $$ at the vet, you can get really effective, easy control that actually works, and works very fast.

If every pet in the house is put on Comfortis (or Trifexis), all the fleas will be dead within a day and won't come back, because every one that hatches will find a pet, and then be dead, dead, dead for a full 30 days from a single dose . . . One dose might do it in a minor infestation; two or three (monthly) doses will 100% do it so long as new fleas aren't brought in from another source. (There are other good products at the vet, too, but Comfortis/Trifexis is my fave.)

• Like 3

It boggles my mind how people can be sucked in by advertising to spend $$$ on extremely toxic remedies that most often do not work and are a huge PITA to implement . . . When for a modest $$ at the vet, you can get really effective, easy control that actually works, and works very fast.

If every pet in the house is put on Comfortis (or Trifexis), all the fleas will be dead within a day and won't come back, because every one that hatches will find a pet, and then be dead, dead, dead for a full 30 days from a single dose . . . One dose might do it in a minor infestation; two or three (monthly) doses will 100% do it so long as new fleas aren't brought in from another source. (There are other good products at the vet, too, but Comfortis/Trifexis is my fave.)

Yes.  That's why it's important to understand the flea's lifecycle and how the meds work.  It will save you time and money because you'll be able to understand what is working and why.

We have twice been able to completely fix a problem with a combination of vet-sourced pet meds and a rigorous schedule of vacuuming.  We have not needed to use any additional chemicals or natural remedies.

(Obviously, if the meds are contra-indicated for a pet, then they can't be part of the solution; in that case understanding the lifecycle and vacuuming accordingly are even more crucial to success.)

• Like 2