Menu

Proclick help...

mlktwins

After seeing various threads on this board over the last 3 years or so, I've finally decided to buy myself a Proclick. Anyone care to share exactly what I need to get started? I know I want black spines, but what sizes are best? What size do you use the most of? Which Proclick? I'm planning to bind Math Mammoth chapters, my boys' assignment books by quarter or semester (not sure I can get a spine big enough for an entire year), and whatever else I can find to bind -- LOL. I buy a lot of PDF curriculum to use for my twins so I think I will get a lot of use out of this and I hope to save money in the long run by not going to Kinkos or Staples to do my binding. I also have a lefty and I think it will be great to be able to bind his stuff on the right side of the paper. I'm also tired of all the loose papers scattered about the school room everyday. Hoping this will help.

Thanks much!

Here is a good place to buy spines:  http://www.mybinding.com  I bought a ton several years ago for a pretty good price!  Watch for sales.  Otherwise, I would just buy 2 or 3 sizes of spines.  The smallest size is good for a yearly planner.  I don't use my big spines a lot, but I tend to bind things that are 100 pages or less.  

I also like to use pocket folders as covers, but you will need to trim the top off.  Last year, I  bound 5 individual pocket notebooks together to make something similar to this:  https://www.amazon.com/Esselte-ESS99656-Oxford-Eight-pocket-Organizer/dp/B00ANSJFYG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1467569252&sr=8-7&keywords=8+pocket+folder

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 2

For covers, I use cute file folders to make it fun. I just trim to be slightly larger than the pages.

I got a bunch of sizes. I used the largest, I think 2",  for binding the WWE1 student pages.

I am making US geography notebooks for this year and I will use the largest size. 

• Like 1

I got the largest size spirals I could find and a smaller size, and the larger ones are much more useful. They're reusable, so buy only a few at first until you know you need more.

I bind on the right for a lefty also.

I use cardstock for covers.

• Like 1

For a long lasting professional finish use plastic cover sheets outside the card stock. I never could get the very large spines (I was overseas when I bought mine) and there were times I had to split books in two, so I really wish I had some of those. The medium thickness spine was perfect for most uses, though.

• Like 1

I love my Proclick.  I wish they made larger spines, but I manage with the smallest and largest.

The best "accessory", imo, is a laminator for covers.  I've never had anything damaged that was proclicked with laminated covers, and that includes my paper log for last year, in which I kept all 3 (reporting) kids' info, so it was constantly flipped through, thrown into my bag, buried under books, shoved on shelves...

:coolgleamA:  :laugh: Welcome to the Pro-click world. I bought spines from Mybinding and had good services. They will sometimes run sales. I have small spines and larger (not the largest) spines (make sure you buy the 3:1 for the pro-click). I also have some pro-click brand spines, which were on sale at mybinding. I only use them on projects I know I'll need to open and close on a regular basis. 

For covers, the plastic ones are nice, but pricey. I have used plastic report covers (you can find a heavier plastic), folders, cardstock with the thinner report covers. 

I am done homeschooling and probably had a pro-click since ~2008. I still consider it one of my best investments. I was also telling one of my college professors about it last week.  :lol:

Welcome to the ProClick love!  I use the 1/2" (I think -- holds about 45 pages) and 5/8" (I think -- holds about 80 pages) a lot, and I get them from Amazon Prime.  

I did find that I needed to break some subjects into multiple spines, even with using the 5/8" spines, because they're so bulky otherwise.  So my second grader's science is broken into two halves, plus two halves for the teacher's section, and my ninth grader's history is broken into four quarters.