Menu

So, for the second year in a row, our anniversary is cancelled. :(

Last year we had the hotel booked and babysitting arranged for a weekend getaway. Dh was called to work that weekend. Tonight it's our 15 year anniversary and again I have overnight babysitting arranged. Guess who has to work again?

I'm thankful he has a job, but why in the world does he have to work overtime on such special nights? And no, there's no other time this weekend we can do it as the kids have hockey tomorrow night and the rest of the weekend is dedicated to our Canadian thanksgiving.

Ok, sadness over.

I can't commiserate with you...it's just not in my nature...but I might can help you look at it differently! (We just celebrated our 16th, and we'd love to have a weekend out..but my husband is working two jobs to pay for two mortgages)

Let's get planning something special in lieu of your fallen out plans, you can still have a very memorable anniversary!! Let the kids get involved!!!

Here are some ideas I would try...

1. Sit down with the kids without your husband, pull out your wedding album..or pictures of the two of you before you were married, share some memories that they may not even know.

2. Then ask them for some ideas, tell them that it's been really tough on your Dad's work schedule but y'all want to make something special for him to celebrate your marriage.

* Make a large canvas wall hanging with the kids putting their own special touches of why your marriage means so much to them...special pictures can be clipped on, little notes can be written that are to YOU and HIM and pinned on...15 notes would be good, one for each year, you can write 5, the kids can each come up with the rest...

* Put little notes in his laptop, so that when he opens his laptop (if he has one) he will see a taped picture of his wife when you were first married or a picture of your first child's birth...create a time of reflection that will bring your marriage back into focus on that busy workday...

* Send him flowers at work!! How often do we send our husbands flowers, or a telegram with a gift basket..

You've had some time to get low about it, now get up with energy and turn an otherwise bad situation into a creative way to bless your marriage!

I would go into all kinds of romantic things you can spur on him when he leasts expects it...I'll just say that you can have someone watch the kids for an hour! :)

Go out there and don't let this anniversary pass you by without really celebrating...there are many ways!! :)

:hurray:

Tara

Yeah, kinda like the special weekend dh and I had planned a couple weeks ago. I was soooo sick with a cold, we took our sick 2 yo with us, and the other two boys were sick when they joined us on Monday. Nice.

That just sucks. I'm sorry. (Did you want to hear that again? :))

Happy Anniversary and good thoughts going your way, friend.

I can't commiserate with you...it's just not in my nature...but I might can help you look at it differently! (We just celebrated our 16th, and we'd love to have a weekend out..but my husband is working two jobs to pay for two mortgages)

Let's get planning something special in lieu of your fallen out plans, you can still have a very memorable anniversary!! Let the kids get involved!!!

Here are some ideas I would try...

1. Sit down with the kids without your husband, pull out your wedding album..or pictures of the two of you before you were married, share some memories that they may not even know.

2. Then ask them for some ideas, tell them that it's been really tough on your Dad's work schedule but y'all want to make something special for him to celebrate your marriage.

* Make a large canvas wall hanging with the kids putting their own special touches of why your marriage means so much to them...special pictures can be clipped on, little notes can be written that are to YOU and HIM and pinned on...15 notes would be good, one for each year, you can write 5, the kids can each come up with the rest...

* Put little notes in his laptop, so that when he opens his laptop (if he has one) he will see a taped picture of his wife when you were first married or a picture of your first child's birth...create a time of reflection that will bring your marriage back into focus on that busy workday...

* Send him flowers at work!! How often do we send our husbands flowers, or a telegram with a gift basket..

You've had some time to get low about it, now get up with energy and turn an otherwise bad situation into a creative way to bless your marriage!

I would go into all kinds of romantic things you can spur on him when he leasts expects it...I'll just say that you can have someone watch the kids for an hour! :)

Go out there and don't let this anniversary pass you by without really celebrating...there are many ways!! :)

:hurray:

Tara

Excellent advice. Follow it, then go put your feet up. Nice take out, candles, etc. with the kids and save a nice plate for him when he gets home.