Menu

Developing good posture in a ten-year-old

PeacefulChaos

So we are at the pool today and I notice that Astro stands... Weird. Well, not really weird, just kind of funny/odd.

I *think* he's not standing correctly.

When he stands, his lower back seems arched more than ideal, making his bum stick out more than it should - like the arched back is noticeable to me.

At the same time, it looks like his chest is forward and shoulders back, but his shoulders aren't actually back- they're in a normal, straight up and down position. Idk if that makes sense but I can't describe it well...

I don't think his standing this way is intentional, but habitual. I remember him as a toddler sticking his belly out when standing/ walking/ running.

Thoughts? Is this something that is just how he stands (as in, no big deal)? Is it something that we should try to correct? If so, how?

How is his core strength?  Can he lie on the floor and lift both legs off of the ground?  Are crunches difficult?  Weak core strength can cause posture issues.

Also, has your doctor tested him for scoliosis?

Yes on the scoliosis test - he was fine, so that isn't it. :)

I'll have to check the other things. He's never had the core strength naturally that Link has always had, and it shows in various things from his swimming to his handwriting lol...

Edited by PeacefulChaos

That sounds like tight hip flexors to me. Aka - the gymnast posture. 

This isn't the best angle, but here's Simone Biles standing. And here's Aly Raisman (I hope I linked those correctly)

The gymnasts I used to coach, stood like this all the time. If you google it and it sounds like what he's doing, there are a lot of good stretches, and strengthening the core helps a lot. 

Sounds like anterior pelvic tilt.  Scroll a bit to see the photo:

http://www.swolept.com/posts/fixing-anterior-pelvic-tilt-posture-tricks-to-make-your-butt-and-gut-smaller#.V3MA4DdtZug

My PT attributed this to weak core/glutes and tight hip flexors, I think.  There's a ton of info online about gentle ways you can work on this.

Edited by alisoncooks

The Alexander Technique is pretty amazing. I took an alternative health class in college and learned about it. We had to pick from a list of alternative health practices and apply them personally for two weeks at a time. I chose it because it seemed simple. Man, it was mind blowing. All about the health benefits of posture and training yourself to have good posture. You can probably find library books about it. In my experience it works wonders.

Tae kwon do seems to have helped my ds posture.

I think sometimes boys kinda outgrow their core muscles and it takes a bit to get them back into a good posture but with good exercise it mostly happens. As long as it's not a habit due to lack of confidence or something.