Menu

Never mind

pinkmint

I don't speak from experience.  I am a SAHM who hasn't tried to go back to work.

But I think there is always hope.  

Have you tried job searching where you are to see what is out there?  What you would be qualified for?  I don't think 30k sounds like a lot to replace, but depending on where you are maybe it is.

Maybe try getting a job now that could be on your resume, that you could work pt.  

How about tutoring at home?  I know you can do it online.  After the kids go to bed?

I would personally start by making a smaller change.

I would have him take a single online class in addition to his current job while you look for something PT that can be a foot-in-the-door down the road to something FT. That way you know before making the big change that he's going to be able to finish his degree/certificate and that you have something current to put on your resume.

As I mentioned in other threads, me getting a pt job is basically impossible because of the frequent last minute overtime requirements of dh job including many weekends. Otherwise I would.

how about from home though?  Do you have internet at home? 

Could you work an hour or 2 after the kids go to bed?

Can you start with little ways of earning money to kind of get your self confidence going and realizing that you can make money?

swagbucks

Shopkick

I want to try shopkick.  I read about it yesterday.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2016/06/shopkick-earn-gift-cards-walking-stores-scanning-products.html

Do you have anything you can sell?

I don't know I feel like getting the ball rolling is the hardest part.

How about surveys

http://moneysavingmom.com/2013/06/6-companies-that-will-pay-you-for-taking-online-surveys.html

Can you donate plasma?

Lots of ideas here

http://moneysavingmom.com/downloads/income-earning-ideas

Edited by mommyoffive

What is your degree in? Major? Minor? 

Are you open to moving, or do you need to stay where you are? If you need not to relocate, then for sure look at what fields/jobs are in demand . . .

One option is to look for a field in which you can grow in your position. If your degree is at all health or biology related, you might consider a "fast track" RN program. Our local university offers a fast-track program for folks who already have degrees. I think it's 18 months or so for a BSN/RN, plus maybe some pre-reqs before that if you have gaps (fewer gaps if you have a science background . . .) 

I'd suggest you start searching for a job and networking soon . . . and if/when you find a good job, then it's time to decide how/when dh quits. To me, spending maybe 10 hr/wk on a job search would be pretty significant and not overwhelming. You could likely squeeze that in around the margins of regular life . . .

One option is for you to accept a PT job if it might lead to a better FT job by freshening up your resume. 

Don't forget to include any volunteer roles you may have had on your resume. 

FWIW, we own a small vet hospital. We live in a low wage/average COL area. Starting wage is usually 9/hr or so for someone with any skills/education . . . but it easily pays 10-12/hr within a year or two. And we have a couple staff members earning upper teens/hr (with benefits including retirement matching and 5-6 weeks paid off each year), neither of whom had any relevant education or experience when starting. But, they've been with us about a decade and have lots of OTJ trained skills now as well as lots of mutual loyalty and trust. They each started as totally inexperienced receptionists, so no skills or education required. (One was 1 year out of high school when she started, the other had a music degree and music related skills/experience. . .) My top paid key staff member (now office manager) is the musician who started as a PT receptionist . . .But she was *great* and her smarts and integrity and people-skills shined and so she was rapidly advanced . . . So, it is possible to earn a good living with little specialized training, but choosing the right place to work where there is "opportunity for advancement" is pretty critical. It takes time, too, which might not be as easy for you to find, but the concept of finding a good employer/field to start in seems to be reasonable for anyone. (And, FWIW, in general, I wouldn't advise the vet field, as it's not as well paid as human med, and I think our business is unusual in our commitment to advancement and fair compensation . .  but it's the field I know, lol)

Also, you can consider both of you working PT if that's feasible for dh's job. Or maybe dh could find a PT job in his goal field . . . While you do the same . . . That could give you both some breathing room, you time to still be with your kids a good bit, and the chance to see where each of your careers go. You might be able to comfortably work both "heavy" PT (say 25-30 hrs/each) which would give you more breathing room for a slightly lower wage to start out . . .

I really admire you for stepping up and trying many ideas to figure out what to do.

I will say, though, that I think first you have to realistically assess your DH's likelihood of homeschooling *at all* and also of homeschooling *well*.

You're going to make yourself very miserable if you give up something you love in the way you take care of your family and he doesn't step up.

That said, I think you're making your choices a little too drastic in this particular case, although there is no harm in thinking that way and assessing it.  Switching from one person without career prospects but with experience to another with no experience is a pretty iffy proposition.  If I were you I would start by taking advantage of the career planning/aptitude services available locally.  Maybe a community college offers those free--they do around here.  Then try to picture your life working in that field, start to get informational interviews to find out what opportunities there are locally, and also to find out what you might need to do to fine tune your skills.  In parallel, start to develop your childcare resources.  You're going to need a few 'mother's helpers' as well as some full day drop in care options for now and then while you do this, and getting that network going will make transitioning into more of a career commitment easier.

Then once you have all that in place, start interviewing for positions.  Once you have a good solid job offer, assess it for likelihood of longevity, and if it looks secure, THEN DH quits or cuts way back. 

IOW, you don't have to do this all at once.

• Like 6

Do you have admin skills? I'd start there. Get up to speed on Microsoft applications. Then apply to local government and school admin jobs. These may not pay enough, but they provide insurance and will provide predictable hours. Once you land such a job your dh can work part time opposite shifts. You may be able to still do a couple subjects if you get such a position with predictable hours or at least have the ability to do the planning of homeschool activities for your dh to implement.

If you have the right skills you might be able to land a part time (20-30 hours) with benefits position that pays enough. Look through the local government job openings and see what skills the job descriptions are emphasizing.

• Like 1

I really admire you for stepping up and trying many ideas to figure out what to do.

I will say, though, that I think first you have to realistically assess your DH's likelihood of homeschooling *at all* and also of homeschooling *well*.

You're going to make yourself very miserable if you give up something you love in the way you take care of your family and he doesn't step up.

That said, I think you're making your choices a little too drastic in this particular case, although there is no harm in thinking that way and assessing it.  Switching from one person without career prospects but with experience to another with no experience is a pretty iffy proposition.  If I were you I would start by taking advantage of the career planning/aptitude services available locally.  Maybe a community college offers those free--they do around here.  Then try to picture your life working in that field, start to get informational interviews to find out what opportunities there are locally, and also to find out what you might need to do to fine tune your skills.  In parallel, start to develop your childcare resources.  You're going to need a few 'mother's helpers' as well as some full day drop in care options for now and then while you do this, and getting that network going will make transitioning into more of a career commitment easier.

Then once you have all that in place, start interviewing for positions.  Once you have a good solid job offer, assess it for likelihood of longevity, and if it looks secure, THEN DH quits or cuts way back. 

IOW, you don't have to do this all at once.

Your first couple of thoughts are concerns that I share. I'm worried that after we somehow switch places that it will not work well, and on top of that it will be hard to switch back. 

The reason this scenario seems drastic is because we have zero margin in our lives. Childcare and mother's helpers cost way more money than we have to spare. We have friends, but zero legitimate support in terms of a relative who would provide childcare etc. And then there's DH job with it's low pay and insane hours making it impossible for me to reliably plan or commit to anything at all. 

I know it sounds far fetched and that's why I'm asking for feedback. As you can maybe tell, I have a degree of desperation happening. 

I'm sorry, Pinkmint.  I don't mean to be a pile on.  Just hopefully a reliable mirror for your ideas.

I meant it when I said I admire you for trying to think of every idea possible.

I think your idea is a good one, but also that you won't get there in one jump.  You need to lay out the steps to make it happen.

I wonder whether you could get some relief funds or help to help build some margin in to support this process?  There is no shame in that, or else everyone in the country would be ashamed of their, say, scholarship funds.

• Like 1

$30K plus 

Hmmmm.....do you need healthcare?  

Honestly, I not as optimistic.  What kind of work are you looking at?   

If you really need to do it, I wouldn't worry as much about the homeschooling, just get them a nice workbook curriculum if you need to and go forward.

I think you mentioned you have a degree in literature?

If you have excellent language/writing/grammar skills, you could try to apply as a legal aid / secretary entry level but around here, it would not replace 30K, at least not in the beginning.

The only other option I can think of at the moment is those work from home options, where you commit to certain hours - in your case it would be likely night time - and answer phones for various businesses from your home. LiveOps and West at Home are some that were mentioned here as reputable.

You could possibly try this while your dh is working. When you get comfortable figuring out how much you can make, then step 2 could be him cutting back or finding a part-time job and taking classes.

http://www.dreamhomebasedwork.com/flexible-work-at-home-jobs-at-night/

This link summarizes some options.

Edited by Liz CA

Teaching in an area that doesn't require a teaching certificate should get you $30K plus benefits. Also, if it's a high-need area, it could qualify for one of the federal loan forgiveness or repayment grants. There was a big article in the Atlanta paper about the Savannah area hiring 500 teachers, no degrees required. Not sure where you are now, but I believe you are looking to move anyway. 

Edited: sorry, had the window open and reply started a couple of hours ago! :)

Edited by zoobie

*Poof*

I deleted. Thanks for the input I received.

I would just like to say I am sad you proofed your post before I could see it. I always read along and try to think of ways to help and I admire you continuing to brainstorm ways to get in a better situation.

I am not sure why you proofed it but it makes it hard to follow your story NGOs keep disappearing.