Menu

Were you homeschooled?

mommyoffive

I'm fairly sure I'm one of the older members here.  When I was in school, in the 60s and 70s, it was unheard of in my area.  In fact, my first encounter with homeschooling happened after I was married while pregnant with my first.

I attended both parochial and public school and a state university.  Dh attended parochial school for 12 years and then state university.

I am surprised by the number of you who weren't.   :huh:

Really?

Homeschooling was very uncommon, even into the 80's and early 90's. When was Donohue's famous show on homeschooling . . . 1983? I've watched it on youtube, and it's funny to see how genuinely shocked the audience is at the very idea of homeschooling. I don't think many people outside of evangelical circles would have ever heard of homeschooling or met a real-life homeschooler back then. 

I met my first homeschool family in 1995. And I was shocked . . . very shocked. It was literally the most radical thing I had ever heard of. And they were a very mainstream Catholic family who only homeschooled through 8th grade and then sent their kids to public high school. 

• Like 3

Yup.

Amazing private school for 1st - 5th, homeschooled for 6th, 7th, and 8th, and then back to a different private school for 8th - 12th. I "repeated" 8th grade, because otherwise I would have graduated at 16, which was not the best option for me. All three school experiences were mostly positive ones, even though I hope to keep my own kids home all the way through. We'll see.

ETA: Most of my (32) cousins have been homeschooled to various degrees; they range from 8-20 years younger than I.

Edited by HOPE_Academy

Really?

Homeschooling was very uncommon, even into the 80's and early 90's. When was Donohue's famous show on homeschooling . . . 1983? I've watched it on youtube, and it's funny to see how genuinely shocked the audience is at the very idea of homeschooling. I don't think many people outside of evangelical circles would have ever heard of homeschooling or met a real-life homeschooler back then.

I met my first homeschool family in 1995. And I was shocked . . . very shocked. It was literally the most radical thing I had ever heard of. And they were a very mainstream Catholic family who only homeschooled through 8th grade and then sent their kids to public high school.

I have an aunt who went down a, shall we say patriarchal and extremist fundamental path in the mid 80's. . She pulled her oldest out of school and never enrolled the younger ones. The problem was she was already overwhelmed with her new, very different lifestyle, and really didn't have it in her to consistently school. AND her son had a chromosomal defect that effected him mentally and she was in way over her head there too. Her husband left her when her oldest was a teenager (for another teenager barely older than his own child- gotta love his patriarchal moral ethic!) and she allowed my grandmother to pay for private school for the oldest so she could at least get a GED. Turns out the only one who graduated was the special needs kid. The other two got GEDs and now even in their 30's can't support themselves. Anyway, all of that to say due to that experience I have had a VERY hard row to hoe on convincing my family that homeschooling doesn't have to be a train wreck and doesn't mean we joined a cult. We're still us! And we teach our kids!

No, public school all the way through. And I'm actually grateful for that. While I believe (hope!) that homeschooling was the right choice for my daughter's education, it absolutely would not have been for me or my family situation when I was growing up. That's why I'm not an "everyone should homeschool!" evangelist. :001_smile: Homeschooling is great when it's the right fit.

Me too. All of it.

• Like 1

No I was not. I was mostly publicly schooled until a brief encounter in 9th grade with an abusive private school. I was then placed in another private school and used DE to graduate when i was 16. This was about the time that the test case for legalizing homeschooling hit the appellate courts here in Michigan.

Yes. But only in grades 10-12. I loved it! I had so much time to pursue my own interests (piano and horseback riding and community service things). And I got to help choose what I studied. It was awesome!

I went to private school from 3-9 and public school before that. So I've experienced all 3 options.

I am surprised by the number of you who weren't.   :huh:

Homeschooling was unlawful where I lived when I started kindergarten--and virtually unheard-of anyway, in either state I lived in as a kid.

I'm from the Northeast and not as young as some folks on here. :)