Menu

Do you find it's an issue when your kids take multiple online classes from different places?

Now that we've decided to continue at home this year (whew!)

My son is signed up for AP Comp Sci with PA Homeschooler, and also German with Landry Academy.

I am thinking of adding a third class online, which means they might have different schedules for Christmas break, easter break, THanksgiving, etc.

Has anyone done this?  How big of a problem is it?  

I thought it might actually be a bonus because exams would fall slightly differently.  :o)

We couldn't do a weeklong vacation without bringing a laptop but otherwise having three different online providers was a non issue. Two providers had the same Christmas break though but that is a costly week for vacation.

This fall my oldest would have three different online providers again. I don't foresee any issues.

Our problem was with outsourced B&M classes which doesn't break and has make up class for holidays like thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day. We could bring a laptop for online class but we have to see which B&M class we could skip for a vacation.

• Like 1

My kids take lots of online/outside classes and we definitely have the issue with the breaks.  It isn't ideal for us, but it isn't that big of a deal, either.  My dd really would have liked a solid week off for spring break, especially, but it did not happen.   We had one or two classes that actually met Thanksgiving week this year.  Christmas break wasn't bad because everyone took at least 2 weeks off.  

• Like 2

I don't know. Two has been the most we've ever juggled. This year, we'll have five classes from four different providers. (Possibly six classes from five providers - but that is for two kids.)

They have different start & end dates & breaks. I have a master calendar somewhere with all of that info on it.  :willy_nilly:

• Like 2

Ahem. I think we have at least 5 different providers next semester. I wouldn't care about spring breaks (and would welcome the staggered breaks much like I welcome the ramp up start times) except...I want to send DS to Switzerland for 3 weeks in winter. And he is not a gunner of a student that works ahead (lol)... So i don't know what we will do. Christmas break doesn't help us bc no snow then

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

We used >3 providers at any one time too. As with most things, some pre-planning might be helpful.

We have a calendar planner on our fridge. As facilitator, one of my duties was to gather all the class deadline and no-instruction days info onto the calendar so that we could do a sort of bird's eye view of how certain months / weeks would flow. Yes, when deadlines came it was a little stressful but it was also VERY good practice for DS's DE scheduling skills once he started at the CC. Not so much the holidays of course but planning around multiple assignment deadlines/ quizzes/ midterms etc falling within the same week or same 2-week period.

Edited by quark
  • Like 2