Menu

Real science odyssey versus ? Maybe Nancy Larson?

MotherGoose

I'm looking at RSO, probably chemistry, for my 2 and 5 grader. This will be mostly for 5 th grader. I've googled and can't find anyone really talking about how long it takes, how many days per week, etc. I see that its not independent. Can someone tell me what your day/ week is Iike? How about the go along science kits from homeschool science? I also have a baby who will be mobile by then probably.... I used NL before and liked it. Suggestions? I don't have to have secular, but I also don't want something constantly pushing young earth.

RSO Chemistry is great! Somebody does have a kit for it. Maybe Home Science Tools? I will note that a lot of the labs are really demonstrations, but they are fun and not terribly hard. I did modify a few things--one activity has them making models of atoms with colored marshmallows. I just got colored stickers, and then they could keep their models. 

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/rso-chemistry-kit-level-1

I think it would also pair well with Ellen McHenry's The Elements if you want to do that.

I am excited to do RSO Chemistry with my younger one in a couple of years.

• Like 1

RSO Chemistry is great! Somebody does have a kit for it. Maybe Home Science Tools? I will note that a lot of the labs are really demonstrations, but they are fun and not terribly hard. I did modify a few things--one activity has them making models of atoms with colored marshmallows. I just got colored stickers, and then they could keep their models.

I think it would also pair well with Ellen McHenry's The Elements if you want to do that.

I had no idea there was a supply kit out there for this program! RSO is one of several I am considering for this fall and knowing about this kit is a huge help! Thanks.

We did about half of RSO chemistry and we did Nancy Larson 2 and 3. Of the two, I prefer Nancy Larson. I guess I felt like it was more open and go and since I don't like to spend a lot of time planning, I really appreciated that. On the other hand, Nancy Larson is pretty schooly and we ditched the worksheets and some of the scriptedness to make it our own.  Maybe I'm just not good at curriculum.  That seems to be the case more and more these days.  :)

ETA: I think I also appreciated that Nancy Larson isn't a full year of a single topic so around the time you get tired of pulleys, etc, you move on to a bird study. That said, we are giving RSO Biology 2 a shot this year and I'm really excited about it.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom

We loved RSO.  We basically did it twice a week, although there were a few things I skipped or doubled up, so we finished a bit early (but that is not a bad thing....).  For my older students, I wrote notes on the board from the front of the book, and had them copy them, so they can get used to taking notes. 

We loved RSO Chemistry when my dds were 2nd and 4th. We did it twice a week; each lesson took less than 30 minutes. I read aloud the page introducing the concept, we did the experiment/demonstration, and the girls filled in the worksheet - usually a few words or simple drawings. I did find it pretty open and go - maybe because I had the kit. You do need to be on top of materials needed for the experiments. I was going to say that it might be light for your 5th grader, but dd14 just said that she found it really helpful on her science standardized testing this year (8th) in school, as she remembered from RSO how to read the periodic table.

We loved RSO Chemistry when my dds were 2nd and 4th. We did it twice a week; each lesson took less than 30 minutes. I read aloud the page introducing the concept, we did the experiment/demonstration, and the girls filled in the worksheet - usually a few words or simple drawings. I did find it pretty open and go - maybe because I had the kit. You do need to be on top of materials needed for the experiments. I was going to say that it might be light for your 5th grader, but dd14 just said that she found it really helpful on her science standardized testing this year (8th) in school, as she remembered from RSO how to read the periodic table.

I'm really gearing this towards my 5th grader as 2nd is getting science in coop. Hmmm. Should I go with the next level do you think?

I'm really gearing this towards my 5th grader as 2nd is getting science in coop. Hmmm. Should I go with the next level do you think?

I do think RSO Chem is light for 5th grade, to be honest, but secular, non-textbook science is so hard to find in my experience. It would be great if Pandia Press had more logic stage programs out. At the moment, it's just Biology, which I have sitting on my shelf and my rising 7th grader refuses to try. She wants physics...I am dithering over Elemental Science... But back to 5th grade Chemistry - one option might be to add something like Ellen McHenry The Elements to RSO Chem or Nancy Larson. Dd 12 is enjoying The Elements this summer. I think it would be very accessible for a 5th grader.

• Like 1

So I just ordered Elemental Science Grammar Stage Chemistry.  It might be a little young but I think the Logic stage would be too much for my 5th grader at this point. And it only cost $30 so that was a huge bonus.  I didn't get the supply kit because I think I can find the supplies around the house from parts of all the other supply kits I've bought.  Will see! 

We had one year that we paired The Elements and RSO Chemistry.  That combo worked really well.

My advice:  Get a bin and collect all the science items at the beginning of the school year.  It has not been enough for me to say, "Well all those are common household items.  We always have that around."  I NEED it set aside to use for science.  I can not have a weekly list or have to collect items the day of the experiment.  That usually means the experiment does not get done.  That's really why I think most people like the science programs that include ALL the supplies.  Not because they are better than other programs, but because they are easy to implement.  

Edited by rjand6more
  • Like 1