Menu

Now my grammar curriculum question

Tiramisu

I have Rod and Staff 5 on my shelf. I love it. The problem is that dd had zero retention from Rod and Staff 3 when we did it aloud. She can't write the lessons out because she has some diagnosed issues that make us have to limit her writing or life will become a living Hades.

One thought I had was to order the worksheets that are really cheap and have her read the lessons in the book, write on the worksheets, and possibly use the tests as review.

This plan might not work well, however, because dd tends to zoom ahead to the next lesson without noticing that she's supposed to do a worksheet. And if I try to micromanage this, she could get irritable. I tried before and it's much better if I don't intervene too much with things like that, though I see how it could be a year to learn how to follow directions better.

Of course, I could buy Saxon grammar and have her write in the book and be done with it. And there's a sale today of the Evan Moor Punctuation and Capitalization workbook. That might work, too.

Any ideas?

It's very normal for 3rd graders to not retain all their grammar. That's why it's repeated beyond 3rd. She's grown two years since then and that may no longer be the case. :)

FWIW when we did R&S orally I didn't let them skip anything. They did every exercise in oral and written aloud, and diagrams went on a whiteboard. They had to read the entire sentence aloud even if the instructions said to write one word, and repeat the entire sentence if they made a mistake. My goal wasn't less writing though. Mine learned the concepts better than pushing papers and corrections back and forth, and this method made grammar a little subject that was quick and painless.

Do whiteboards or Boogie Boards help the writing issue? Those R&S worksheets just have extra review of some concepts and don't replace the lesson exercises. We only found them useful for the punctuation lessons. To add to that, only 1/3 to 1/2 of the lessons even have a correlated worksheet.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 3

Does she learn well from black and white?  Maybe she needs color?  Check out Critical Thinking Company's Language Smarts.

Or does she need stories to learn?  Maybe The Sentence Family would be a better fit.  Or Schoolhouse Rock, Grammar Tales, and Punctuation Tales.

There's a fun book for grammar called I Laid an Egg on Aunt Ruth's Head that might be more her cup of tea.

(We tended to do "fun" grammar because R&S had no retention for us either.  Eventually (9th grade) we switched to Seton Grammar.)

• Like 1

I have Rod and Staff 5 on my shelf. I love it. The problem is that dd had zero retention from Rod and Staff 3 when we did it aloud. She can't write the lessons out because she has some diagnosed issues that make us have to limit her writing or life will become a living Hades.

One thought I had was to order the worksheets that are really cheap and have her read the lessons in the book, write on the worksheets, and possibly use the tests as review.

This plan might not work well, however, because dd tends to zoom ahead to the next lesson without noticing that she's supposed to do a worksheet. And if I try to micromanage this, she could get irritable. I tried before and it's much better if I don't intervene too much with things like that, though I see how it could be a year to learn how to follow directions better.

Of course, I could buy Saxon grammar and have her write in the book and be done with it. And there's a sale today of the Evan Moor Punctuation and Capitalization workbook. That might work, too.

Any ideas?

R&S is most effective when children do all the writing, so clearly it is not the right thing for her.

I wouldn't do the worksheets. If you want only grammar, then just find something that is only grammar.

How about Winston Grammar? or Easy Grammar?

• Like 1

Can you write a list out for her of her work?

1 math sheet

5 minutes math drills

1 grammar lesson with worksheet

Yadayadayada

We do something like this. But she goes on automatic pilot. She always does all her subjects but not always according to her schedule. 😒

• Like 2

It's very normal for 3rd graders to not retain all their grammar. That's why it's repeated beyond 3rd. She's grown two years since then and that may no longer be the case. :)

FWIW when we did R&S orally I didn't let them skip anything. They did every exercise in oral and written aloud, and diagrams went on a whiteboard. They had to read the entire sentence aloud even if the instructions said to write one word, and repeat the entire sentence if they made a mistake. My goal wasn't less writing though. Mine learned the concepts better than pushing papers and corrections back and forth, and this method made grammar a little subject that was quick and painless.

Do whiteboards or Boogie Boards help the writing issue? Those R&S worksheets just have extra review of some concepts and don't replace the lesson exercises. We only found them useful for the punctuation lessons. To add to that, only 1/3 to 1/2 of the lessons even have a correlated worksheet.

Thanks for the information about the worksheets. You made it clear that it's not a option.

The white board is a great idea and I've used one with my other kids but this last one likes to be self- directed, so it's more than just a writing problem. She needs to be able to work through things on her own.

Does she learn well from black and white? Maybe she needs color? Check out Critical Thinking Company's Language Smarts.

Or does she need stories to learn? Maybe The Sentence Family would be a better fit. Or Schoolhouse Rock, Grammar Tales, and Punctuation Tales.

There's a fun book for grammar called I Laid an Egg on Aunt Ruth's Head that might be more her cup of tea.

(We tended to do "fun" grammar because R&S had no retention for us either. Eventually (9th grade) we switched to Seton Grammar.)

Thanks for the unusual options. Most of there are now to me. I wish they had the critical thinking one at her grade level, though we might get away with level E.

Never used R&S. We did use three levels of Hake. I like Hake. It's very thorough and easy to use. If I had any complaint, it's that it might be a bit too thorough.

I know what you mean about too thorough.

What levels did you use?

I have a Junior Analytical Grammar but that's just grammar. I like that but it would be nice if there were some mechanics and usage included without having to buy or add something more to her schedule.

R&S is most effective when children do all the writing, so clearly it is not the right thing for her.

I wouldn't do the worksheets. If you want only grammar, then just find something that is only grammar.

How about Winston Grammar? or Easy Grammar?

She used Easy Grammar this year and it's the only thing she asked not to continue again next year. But I was very happy with it.

• Like 1

What vomputer-based grammar programs like grammaropolis? Did you know MCT has iBooks of his program that are interactive, even the practice books? It's a different approach than R&S, but perhaps that's what she needs?

You sound like you like R&S and you do already have it. What about just sticking a post-it or other physical reminder at the end of each lesson in the book? You can put them all in for a week or two worth of work at once?

• Like 1

What vomputer-based grammar programs like grammaropolis? Did you know MCT has iBooks of his program that are interactive, even the practice books? It's a different approach than R&S, but perhaps that's what she needs?

You sound like you like R&S and you do already have it. What about just sticking a post-it or other physical reminder at the end of each lesson in the book? You can put them all in for a week or two worth of work at once?

Wow about those MCT iBooks!

I agree that A Beka grammar workbooks would fit what you are wanting. They are a traditional grammar program with colorful workbooks with diagramming. They would be the most like R&S that are workbooks. Another potential fit would be Exercises in English by Loyola, but they do not spiral. It's just one lesson with one worksheet on a topic. They would be a better supplement.

• Like 1

Jumping to the end here, but Abeka would do what you're wanting.  Or look at some Daily Language type workbooks from TCR (Teacher Created Resources) or Evan Moor or what have you.

I agree that A Beka grammar workbooks would fit what you are wanting. They are a traditional grammar program with colorful workbooks with diagramming. They would be the most like R&S that are workbooks. Another potential fit would be Exercises in English by Loyola, but they do not spiral. It's just one lesson with one worksheet on a topic. They would be a better supplement.

Okay. You two made me look at ABeka again. I actually loved it with an older child when we used it. I'm a little afraid about the number of exercises in each lesson with this child, but it hits the things I want it to hit.

But I also tend to really like Evan Moor stuff.

I've decided that with my next Rainbow order, I'm going to add a Climbing to Good English workbook. For $5, it's worth taking a look. If it doesn't seem workable, I'm going to look closer at Evan Moor and Abeka. They are around the same price but ABeka won't have a shipping charge.

You might look at Step-by-Step Grammar at Rainbow Resource. It mainly teaches diagramming starting out with noun verb sentences. You can get the workbook, answer guide and flashcards for about $15. I have not looked at the second book but it seems to be on usage and mechanics.