Menu

Can you help me choose a course title (Health/PE)

We are required to have 1.5 credits of Health/Physical Fitness.

DS has completed a credit this year (9th) and he will spread the remaining 0.5 credit out over multiple semesters.

Out 9th grade credit was called Health and Physical Fitness. I am trying to decide what to call the remaining 0.5 credit, and I do not think I should repeat the same course title. He did a lot of actual physical fitness, of course. Broadly speaking, the health topics we covered were anatomy, personal health care, sexuality, relationships, disease, and lifespan development.

For the remaining 0.5 credit, he will continue physical activity. I would like him to branch out and try some new activities, with the goal of furthering his commitment to lifetime fitness. The health topics of this next course will be focused on nutrition and healthy food preparation techniques. We also have a unit to do on stress and mental health.

I was thinking about Lifetime Wellness as a course title. Thoughts?

Edited by Penguin

Lifetime wellness is certainly fine - but why not use the same course title?

I have several courses that are completed cumulatively over the entire four years of high school, and they have the same course title, with fractional credits earned each time until the entire credit is completed.

Nobody is going to care what the Health/PE credit is called.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Lifetime wellness is certainly fine - but why not use the same course title?

I have several courses that are completed cumulatively over the entire four years of high school, and they have the same course title, with fractional credits earned each time until the entire credit is completed.

Nobody is going to care what the Health/PE credit is called.

But were the cumulative courses more than 1 credit? That is the reason I was contemplating a title change.

I have never seen a single high school course be worth more than a credit. But idk, maybe I am wrong.

Edited by Penguin

But were the cumulative courses more than 1 credit? That is the reason I was contemplating a title change.

I have never seen a single high school course be worth more than a credit. But idk, maybe I am wrong.

I give a recurring half credit for PE every year for DS. It's PE, not math - nobody is going to give a hoot

• Like 3

What about sport leadership, and he look into coaching or officiating. He could take officiating training, then get experience (and money) officiating at community baseball or soccer games?  

Or if he is interested in first aid or injury, he could become a trainer.

These are great options if you want something within the field of Physical Education which can be used to gain leadership experience, and possibly work experience. It looks much better on a resume that just a general term of "fitness", and is probably going to be a lot more interesting and challenging for the youth.  

• Like 1

I like Lifetime Wellness too, but I agree --we did "Physical Education I, II, III etc..." We also did "English 9, 10..." and "Guitar I, II..." and "Japanese I, II, III..."

Sometimes it makes sense.

Yes. Quite honestly, your course titles are for the benefit of college admission officers. You want to make it as simple and as "normal" as possible for them to quickly see what credits the student has. You use the Course Description document to go into detail about what the focus of the course was and what materials were used.

JMO, but for your 1.5 credits of Health & Fitness, I personally would count that as three 0.5 credit courses, go with the course title of "Health & Fitness 1" "Health & Fitness 2" "Health & Fitness 3", and then explain in the Course Description document that:

- Health & Fitness 1 focused on physiology topics of anatomy, personal health care, with physical activities of X, Y, Z

- Health & Fitness 2 focused on lifetime wellness topics of sexuality, relationships, disease, and lifespan development, with physical activities of X, Y, Z

- Health & Fitness 3 focused on nutrition, healthy food preparation, stress and mental health, with physical activities of X, Y, Z

BEST of luck in wearing your administrator hat for the record-keeping part of homeschooling high school!   :hat: Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

I appreciate the suggestions. Because we use Clonlara, we cannot go back and change the title of 9th grade Health and Fitness. I think I must leave it stand. I see the merit in I,II, and III but it is too late for that.

I appreciate the suggestions. Because we use Clonlara, we cannot go back and change the title of 9th grade Health and Fitness. I think I must leave it stand. I see the merit in I,II, and III but it is too late for that.

Well that has got to be frustrating for you! :(

Hmmm… So, if you want to tie in the remaining 0.5 credit with the 9th grade 1 credit of "Health and Fitness", what about something like "Health and Fitness II", or "Intermediate Health and Fitness", or "Health and Fitness: Wellness" ...

• Like 3

Actually, I might be able to do this:

Health and Fitness

Health and Fitness II

Health and Firness III

Does it look weird that the first half credit lacks a numeral? It is the only one truly finalized, now that I think about it.

• Like 3

Actually, I might be able to do this:

Health and Fitness

Health and Fitness II

Health and Firness III

Does it look weird that the first half credit lacks a numeral? It is the only one truly finalized, now that I think about it.

No, not weird (except for the typo in the third one, LOL.)

Honestly, I believe you are overthinking this. Who do you think cares what PE is called?

• Like 2