Menu

I feel like I just had Christmas

redsquirrel

Due to a number of things, I ate much more food, many more sweets than I usually do.  It's been party, party around here.

I feel like crap!

What do you do when you have totally overindulged?  Well, I didn't exactly over indulge so much as didn't have control over my food environment, kwim? Lots of obligatory eating of sweets and treats.  And looking ahead, I can see lots of travel and people visiting and all that sort of thing.  It's lovely to have those engagements, but not so lovely on my waistline.

I am actually very good at maintaining portion control and taking small bites, and even turning things down. But small tastes and having that one glass of wine adds up quickly, kwim? 

I feel like I never want to eat again and I am made entirely of buttercream.

It doesn't help that I am often the one baking.  I am a good baker and it's the easiest thing for me to bring something for friends.  And TBH, I really can't not taste the frosting...and then the cupcake....and then the frosting with the cupcake to make sure they go together properly.  I am not kidding that at this point I don't even like cupcakes anymore and tasting them has become strictly professional, lol, But it still add up to a couple of cupcakes a day over the weekend.  Not good.

I am guessing that eating a lot of kale tomorrow won't like...counteract or cancel out the frosting...will it?

I really do feel lousy.

• Like 1

Indeed, eating a lot of kale will cancel out the frosting :)

(rather, not eating much tomorrow will cancel out the frosting, and the kale is a bonus)

On the other hand, if you see yourself overeating buttercream for the next month solid, that is a problem.  If it's just once or twice over the next month, though, I wouldn't worry, as on average it will make almost no difference.

We are non-dairy.  I don't miss much about dairy, but I do miss buttercream.

• Like 1

You can make dairy-free buttercream. But I probably shouldn't say that in this thread.

We are all regretting a lot of food choices we've made lately here. We made some better choices when we went grocery shopping the other day. I discovered while trying a hummus sampler that I love the beet hummus. I figure that's better than some of the snacks I could be eating.

Maybe skip the cupcakes and bring something else? Fruit salad?

• Like 1

I tend to do this a lot, though not with cupcakes.  We just have no limit on what we eat when we travel and we travel a fair bit.

I don't get bothered by it other than feeling "Thanksgiving Dinner" full in which case I tend to skip the next meal or two.  I do gain weight on trips - approx 3/4ths lbs per day on average, but that comes off back home when I switch back to my regular diet (and exercise).

On longer trips I try to be more careful.  For short trips I really just enjoy it all and don't worry.  Food is often part of the fun or camaraderie.

My stomach/digestive system never gets bothered by my choice in foods/drinks, so that probably helps.

I'm also thinking it can be good for my system, because eating less all the time likely trains my system "down" as per that "Big Loser" thread.  I don't want to have to eat light all the time.  Birthday cake, good hot dogs/hamburgers, ice cream, (River Rat) cheese curd, grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, potato rolls, fish & chips, soda (this trip's indulgences) really are part of the fun.

Even so, I still skipped supper last night after getting way too full at lunch.  I'm not sure I want breakfast either, but I will probably get something indulgent!  ;)

• Like 1

When I have days like that, especially multiple in a row, I start the next day with tons of water. I basically spend the next 2 days drinking a ridiculous amount of water. I eat as well but the water helps get things moving and through my system faster so I dont feel like carp for long. Staying hydrated also makes me bloat less, which I retain water if I overindulge like you mentioned.

• Like 2

When I have situations like this (Thanksgiving and big parties), I simply skip a few meals during the next days and make sure to get some extra physical activity. Usually easy, since I am full and have no desire to eat ever again, and moving makes me feel better.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm going to pound the water...I also didn't get my usual amount these past few days.  Lots of kale, salad and very lean proteins for me the rest of the week.

I got on the scale this morning and I was actually down half a pound over the week, lol. I have NO idea, except probably dehydration. 

I am feeling a bit better, but my stomach still doesn't want to see anything sweet for a long time. I send ds2 off to play with friends with a platter of leftover cupcakes.  He didn't even want any, that is how many we see around here. 

And dairy free buttercream is an oxymoron. It might be frosting, but it's not buttercream. I make an italian meringue butercream that is to die for.  Only, don't ask me for any for a couple weeks. I can't even think about it right  now.

• Like 1

Go to events a little full of veggies and very well hydrated.  That helps a lot.

And afterwards, don't eat if you're not hungry,  You're still probably digesting the crap.  Add the juice of one lemon or lime to a tall glass of water and drink that, and also some ginger tea to help your stomach (pour boiling water over a few slices of fresh ginger, let steep until lukewarm, drink it straight, sweetening if you must), and maybe some coffee (helps the liver).  And don't feel like you have to have anything else unless and until you're hungry again.  Then eat a variety of veggies--carrot sticks, raw salad greens/radicchio/fennel/herbs--and don't start on the regular, heavier food until you're really hungry beyond that.  The veggies will partially fill you up but with low calories, and you'll be able to eat less of the high cal. stuff because of that.