Menu

Cartop Carriers Rec

momacacia

Ok I am very wary of carton carriers ... we lost one on the highway once and everything in it was scattered on the highway by the semis ... i know this is a freak accident amd very unlikely but it happened so take care. If you use one don't put your prescription medications inside :)

We've had a Thule for years.  It is very securely mounted and latched.  Easy to take on and off.  Weatherproof.  It holds a lot of stuff.   The only things I won't put up there are things that require climate control (meds, fluids, electronics etc) - it gets very hot in the sun, and obviously freezes in winter.

We've had a Thule for years.  It is very securely mounted and latched.  Easy to take on and off.  Weatherproof.  It holds a lot of stuff.   The only things I won't put up there are things that require climate control (meds, fluids, electronics etc) - it gets very hot in the sun, and obviously freezes in winter.

We did too.  And I agree with all the above.  It carried all our winter gear on our road trips/ski trips.  Skis, boots, all the clothes (be sure to put them in a waterproof container).  I could take 7 people skiing in my Volvo station wagon, if we had the Thule on top; without it, I could take 4.  

If you park in a garage, it is very likely that a car topper will add enough height that you won't park in the garage anymore.  My *car* with the Thule on it made it only by a couple of inches.  

I should add that our Thule stayed dry inside.  I am just over-cautious when I say "weatherproof container" in my previous post.

We have the Sears x-cargo because at the time it was at least half again as many cubic feet for only 2/3 or so of the price of the Thule. We bought it to move (we thought) temporarily to AZ from PA back in 2005. We drove from PA to Phoenix, left it on the car during a particularly brutal AZ summer, drove back after 8 months, left in on through a Philly winter while we were selling the house, shipped the van back to AZ with the cargo hold intact, and then stored it in our unairconditioned garage for around 4 years. Then my husband got transferred to Chicago in 2010, but we have a house that lost more than half its value, so we've been commuting back and forth for the past six summers. We take it off and store it when we aren't using it.

It's finally beginning to crack in the middle because the kids like to stand in it to rearrange things when they think I'm not looking. It has never leaked or wobbled. I'm shocked it has lasted for so long. If only appliances were such workhorses.

Ok I am very wary of carton carriers ... we lost one on the highway once and everything in it was scattered on the highway by the semis ... i know this is a freak accident amd very unlikely but it happened so take care. If you use one don't put your prescription medications inside :)

Was it a hard sided carrier? I've seen the soft bag style give way on other people's cars twice (we're on the road a lot), but I've never heard of the hard carrier giving way. I'm beginning to think we may need to retire our cracked one, lol. I hate those soft ones. I always worried someone could easily take a knife to it and clean us out at a Hampton inn somewhere in the middle of OK or Missouri. I'd really only feel comfortable if I could get where I'm going in a day's drive. Edited by Barb_