Menu

How do I know what reading level my child is on?

abh413

You could have her take the DORA.  

A simpler way would be to look at the reading level of books she is able to read well.  It won't give you a perfect grade-month number, but in the end, it is probably a more accurate way to estimate reading level.

• Like 2

I've never worried about or paid much attention to reading level. That said, at my library, they have a special set of shelves of books that are recommended by grade. So, they have a shelf that includes "Great books for kindergarten" and a shelf for "First grade favorites," etc. My girls can easily read the books on the shelf for the grade they are technically in as homeschoolers, so I know we're good. So, that's a good, non-stressful way for me to gauge reading level. Another option: if your local public school has a website or flier at the library with summer reading lists arranged by grade, you can look at the list and see if your child is reading/could read the books listed for their grade. (Though, like I said, I wouldn't worry too much either way, especially since you're happy with your daughter's progress.) Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm not looking to spend any money.

I think we will choose some grade level readers the next time we are at the library & go from there.

She's my oldest so I'm new to this. I think she's doing great but it's nice to be able to throw out numbers that relatives that don't homeschool will recognize when asked.

Easycbm.com has a free "lite" version that you can use to test letter and word recognition, fluency, and comprehension to compare with a national percentile. You can create an account that will save the data to compare later. It also has math competency tests as well. 

• Like 1