Menu

What the heck happened?

Dmmetler

I just went shopping with DD11, who's closet mostly consists of t-shirts, jeans, and a few brightly colored and mostly animal printed skirts that she wears with what are essentially plain t-shirts when she needs to dress up. We are going to a relative's funeral, and I knew that her usual style wouldn't pass muster with some of the elderly relatives. She is at the high end of girls, or the tiny end of juniors.

We went to one of my favorite places-a store that specializes in overstock, returned items, and similar stuff. I figured we'd see what was there, and hope we could avoid the mall.

I swear that kid has radar or something. Somehow, she managed to pick out stuff with some pretty impressive designer labels, mostly from high-end specialty shops and department stores, on racks where there was also a lot of last season's Target and K-Mart and similar discount labels. Mostly very sleek, professional looking stuff (although a dress with a very quirky print from TopShop also ended up in the cart). And somehow, she managed to get two skirts, two tops and two dresses, all for about $50 total. And they all look amazing on her-not revealing, but very grown up and mature looking.

Huh? This is the kid who was wearing cutoff jeans, a shirt with an alligator on it, and Teva water sandals to the store? Who normally hates shopping? What happened?? And why don't I ever find anything that amazing for me?

• Like 10

I know, my 9yo is a style magnet too.  It's only a matter of time before she starts dressing me.  :P

I figure, one less thing I have to try to teach her (which I'm not exactly qualified to teach).  :)

• Like 1

I've had people look at me funny because I don't correct my daughter's choices when they are a wee bit eccentric.  Like the pink flower clip in her hair when she was wearing a white and purple dress.  Well, she wants to stand out in the crowd, and being way short, she has to work a little harder to catch the eye.  :)

• Like 2

I've had people look at me funny because I don't correct my daughter's choices when they are a wee bit eccentric.  Like the pink flower clip in her hair when she was wearing a white and purple dress.  Well, she wants to stand out in the crowd, and being way short, she has to work a little harder to catch the eye.  :)

I was just going through pictures on my computer and laughed out loud when I pulled one up from a time we went strawberry picking. DD, 6 at the time, was in spring finery, a satin Easter dress with embroidered flowers that my mom bought her. Another picture was of her in her velvety red Christmas dress...in October. I have so many pictures of them in dress up clothes out and about. I let them wear anything they wanted, safety aside. I save a special smile for fairies, princesses, and cowboys outside of Halloween time. I love that little kids are so free to be themselves...while being someone else. LOL

My DD is also 11 and is going through the same thing. She used to want "pretty" things when she was little. Then she wanted just jeans and a t-shirt. Now she is being bitten by the fashion bug as well, but with her own spin. I like it. 

• Like 5