Menu

Question for hockey parents

BarbecueMom

DS6 is starting an instructional hockey program in a couple weeks. It might be a silly question but I really need to know, how long does it take to put on and take off all the gear (for a somewhat distractable 6yo boy)?

We have another activity scheduled before hockey, and if it's cutting it too close to get there and suit up in time, I'll have to do some schedule rearranging. I know I always underestimated how long we needed for changing during swim lessons and we ended up running behind a lot. Trying to not make that mistake again!

Thanks!

That's an interesting question!  I think my kids were always at the warming house half an hour early to put on their skates and final touches.  That was after they had on their appropriate outer clothes.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

When my daughter was that age she wore sweats and an under armour shirt under her gear (she played again this year and that was still her go to for clothes under gear at 12) I think from 4-6 I was still doing most of the work putting her gear on.

• Like 1

Not a hockey mom, but grew up at a rink. Most kids were there 30 minutes early. It might be 90 outside, but the ice (And dressing rooms) are cool. Unless you are talking roller hockey?

If this is completely new to you, ask the rink. They have experience, they'll be able to guide you. And if your rink is small/super busy, time in the locker rooms may be limited (As groups coming off share space with groups going on). That was always a concern at our rink.

• Like 1

Half an hour should be plenty of time. Yes to under armour underneath the pads. And don't forget a jacket for you. :)

Ah yes, a jacket! It's going to be interesting going from hockey practice to DS7's baseball game on the same night. My sinuses are going to revolt.

• Like 1

Getting the skates on and well-laced is the most time consuming part for me. You might buy one of the metal hooks designed to help pull the laces, they seem like they help. 

And some of the tape designed to hold up the hockey socks. 

Bill (novice hockey-dad)

In our homeschool hockey, moms were allowed in the boys' change room, so I could go in and help ds put on his gear. You may want to check whether you'll be allowed in the change rooms. There was a separate change room for the girls who also played on the team.

Some parents dressed their young ones at home and they only needed to put on skates, helmets and gloves at the rink.

I think 30 minutes is way more than needed for the actual dressing. 15 minutes is plenty. There are other things that often need doing before a game or practice, such as re-taping sticks. Then there is the social aspect that the kids enjoy before getting out on the ice. It's nice to have time for this and not be rushed.

For swimming - we save time by getting into swimsuits at home. Then it's just tossing off clothes and shoes at the pool. 

Edited by wintermom

Getting the skates on and well-laced is the most time consuming part for me. You might buy one of the metal hooks designed to help pull the laces, they seem like they help.

And some of the tape designed to hold up the hockey socks.

Bill (novice hockey-dad)

I'll look for those, thanks.

And I didn't even think about lacing up the skates. DH had back surgery recently and the plan was for him to take DS to hockey while I handled other DS's baseball on the same night, but I don't think he can physically do the skate-lacing. Argh.

I'd start off with 30 minutes, and then you can probably decrease the time as you all get more familiar with it.

Look into waxed laces. They stay tighter than the non-waxed kind. Make sure the laces are tight so your kids isn't a "bender" (someone whose ankles bend inward). He will tire more quickly and his feet will hurt more if the laces aren't tight, even though he might complain when you do tie them tight enough.

Make sure his skates fit properly. Skate sizes do not correspond with shoe sizes.

We're heading into dd's 10th season of hockey and ds's 8th. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine where hockey would take us when my then-five-year-old-daughter came to use and said, "I want to play hockey!" in her squeaky little voice.

I hope hockey gives you as much as it's given us!

I'll look for those, thanks.

And I didn't even think about lacing up the skates. DH had back surgery recently and the plan was for him to take DS to hockey while I handled other DS's baseball on the same night, but I don't think he can physically do the skate-lacing. Argh.

If your husband can sit on a bench while your son does too (facing one another), and the boy lifts one foot at a time onto the bench (or lap), it will minimize your husband's need to bend. The "hook" also provides reach extension, while making it easier to pull laces tight. 

As Tara said, you may want waxed laces.

Bill

Coaches and other parents are always willing to help with laces if your DH is unable. I went into the dressing room until DS was 10 or 11 at which point I felt uncomfortable. That was the age the girls were given a separate dressing room in our area, when one was available. Middle school boys do NOT need moms in the dressing room, but at 6 it's perfectly fine and expected. You might want to practice lacing at home so you are comfortable with what works best.