Menu

Long distance gifts for ill relatives

displace

I have a family member who is going through operations and treatments soon. I want to send something but I feel flowers are not enough. This is a relative I used to see frequently when I was younger but we've grown apart just because of distance. Any ideas? She is an older woman if that matters on your recs. She loves animals but I don't know of other hobbies or likes.

Edited by displace

I have a family member who is going through operations and treatments soon. I want to send something but I feel flowers are not enough. This is a relative I used to see frequently when I was younger but we've grown apart just because of distance. Any ideas? She is an older woman if that matters on your recs. She loves animals but I don't know of other hobbies or likes.

Would she appreciate reading material, find-a-words, Sudoku?  What about puzzles or DVD's of some recent movies or even some music on CD?  Perhaps something like a fruit basket? Maybe drawings from your kids would be nice, along with some chocolate hugs or kisses might make her feel loved.  

• Like 2

I sent chocolate covered strawberries to a BIL undergoing cancer treatment. Seemed nicely received. 

I think the best gift is often contact. I'd send flowers or fruit or some other small treat, and then I'd buy a stack of thinking of you cards and make a point to send one a week for a while -- with at least a paragraph or a page of greetings and news. I'm thinking that'd make her smile. 

• Like 3

We bought my SIL a fleece cap from Lands' End when she was having radiation for brain cancer.  It was so soft and comfortable, and felt good on her scalp after her hair was gone.  She wore it all the time until she passed away.  :(  

Erica

• Like 1

When I was in treatment, my cousin (that I had not seen since childhood) sent me a huge box of books from Amazon. She didn't know my taste in reading, but she put notes about why she'd included each book on the gift receipt. It was the sweetest, most thoughtful gift. And I found some excellent reading material through her, too.

So - books?

• Like 7

Thanks for the ideas. I especially would like to send something semi regularly. I found some old pics of her grandkids from my phone when they were young I may send her. I'd love to send books but idk her desires. But I could guess and try. And delivery food service sounds good too. I appreciate the thoughts and help.

My mom is practically on bed rest while waiting for back surgery. She has found she loves the new adult version coloring books. She uses colored pencils and gel pens.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I like Jaz's idea, and also audiobooks as well. Another thought too is to find a supermarket that does delivery and make a grocery order for them, or order from Boston Market or whatever and have nice meal sent. Relaxation music might be nice. But for many infirm individuals living alone, they don't eat well at all and it hampers their recovery. It takes a lot of calories to withstand a significant health crisis. So anything that could be done to get lean meats, nice veggies, and fruits, and whole grains into the house while not sending a lot of sweets and empty carb food would be great, and easy to prepare or prepared would be best as she probably won't feel up to cooking. If she is elderly, the Agency for Aging in her county should be a help in making arrangements.

• Like 1